Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How would you fund Connecticut's transportation needs in the future?
Add tolls to Connecticut highways 45 58.44%
Raise the gas tax 14 18.18%
Institute User or Mileage Fee 5 6.49%
None (current funding is adequate) 21 27.27%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 06:17 PM

464 posts, read 312,408 times

Advertisements

every other state around here has tolls except VT and that’s only because they have so few cars on their roads. Definitely bring back tolls, the new electronic kind like on the Mass Pike. Doesn’t cause traffic and finally get something from all the out of state plate cars. People register elsewhere to avoid property tax, might as well get a few bucks out of them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 06:45 PM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I more or less don't care what road is improved by the money earned--use it as needed. And start out with just one toll road at a time to see how it goes. Personally, I detest I-84 and see it used a lot by out of staters and they would be charged extra for being out of state. But if I-95 needed work, who am I to say that the I-84 money couldn't go toward I-95?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
You should know that the state can't just slap up tolls anywhere it wants. Tolls are prohibited on all interstate funded highways like I-95, I-91, I-84, I-691, I-291 and I-395. The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) has given Connecticut a pilot program approval however to implement tolls on I-95 from New Haven to New York and I-84 west of Hartford should the state proceed with plans to make major improvements to those highways. FHWA will definitely not allow Connecticut to just slap up border tolls or to charge Connecticut residents less than other travelers.
As noted by JayCT, the funds collected on I95 can't be used on I84 and vice-versa - the Feds don't allow that if tolls are added to roads funded by the Feds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Border towns--I used to take I-95 to Maine and there are always side roads you can take if you want to stop at a store on the way. I don't think I-95 affected the border towns in a negative way but I can't be sure of that.
The Maine Turnpike toll isn't on the border - it's about 4 miles in offering plenty of opportunity to get off of 95 and take Rt 1. Besides, the all the exits on the ME Pike are far enough apart and each is tolled that jumping on and off doesn't solve anything. A true border toll there would be on the bridges over the Piscataqua River. IMHO, placing tolls on the border in CT could clog streets in Greenwich and Port Chester. Moving it a couple of miles reduces that possibility.

Old 01-24-2018, 06:51 PM

21,756 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Points of discussion:

Any new tolls would definitely be electronic via EZ Pass or Toll by Plate - the cost of building, maintaining, and staffing toll booths isn't worthwhile and would create traffic

Any new tolls on interstates would have to be used for the benefit of that road only so no using I95 money to repair I84 or if an interstate were to be expanded

border tolling is discouraged as it effects towns along those borders/interstates as some attempt to avoid the toll.
I prefer a general transportation fund. Put the money to use where it’s needed most, not arbitrarily where it’s collected.

Old 01-24-2018, 06:56 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZMac View Post
Wow, toll booths? There really aren't toll roads in CT. In Texas, TollTags can be used for any toll road and a bunch of other stuff (Parking at the Airport/Garages, crossing state lines and using Toll Roads in Oklahoma and Kansas). Most highway construction these days in Texas has a toll component. Express Lanes are tolled and that helps fund the update and widening of the free part of the freeway. Surge pricing (similar to Uber) exists for these express lanes and it can be expensive, but you are welcome to sit in traffic for free. I like the hybrid approach more than I like straight tollways.
That is correct. Connecticut has not had tolls since 1988. In 1983 there was a terrible crash at the toll booth on I-95 in Stratford that killed 7 people. This caused a great uproar which led to the removal of tolls throughout the state. Connecticut is the only state on the east coast that does not have tolls. Jay

Old 01-24-2018, 07:27 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
That is correct. Connecticut has not had tolls since 1988. In 1983 there was a terrible crash at the toll booth on I-95 in Stratford that killed 7 people. This caused a great uproar which led to the removal of tolls throughout the state. Connecticut is the only state on the east coast that does not have tolls. Jay
Yes, that was really a horrible disaster and, of course it was caused by toll booths where people have to stop and pay.

As many have already stated, toll booths are obsolete because of the electronic EZ pass. CT needs to DO something--reinstate tolls and make some money!

Old 01-24-2018, 07:32 PM

4,319 posts, read 4,206,586 times
Yep. More taxes in CT. That'll do it. The only thing CT should increase is -- prosecutors.

Old 01-24-2018, 08:12 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,834,850 times
I don't think tolls are a good idea. As I wrote before I have read that up to 30% of the traffic on our CT roads are "out of state" so do we really want to toll / tax 70% of the CT driving population? Just so we can get punish those out of stater's ? There are too many alt routes around any proposed tolls at CT borders.

Also, where there are parallel routes such as such as Merritt Prkwy & I-95 if only one route is tolled it will drive more traffic to the other un-tolled road. Neither the Merritt or I-95 could handle that traffic.

IMO if the tolls were low enough (such as .50 cents NY to New Haven) people wouldn't waste time trying to drive around that. OF course that wouldn't happen and any toll (NY to New Haven) would probably be in the $5+ range both ways which will lead to people trying to drive around it.

I think putting in tolls to complete new roads such as RT 11 is a good idea. At least it could be used as a test to see how receptive CT drivers are to tolls.

I know any toll that is put up around the CT/MA borders I would drive around just on principle. There are so many alt routes around the highways that cross the CT/MA borders its not even funny.

Old 01-24-2018, 08:59 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,456,376 times
Lets start with the basics. So we want to create a new tax system? Which will require new infrastructure. New Bureaucracy and more places for funding to disappear?

As mentioned unlike New Hampshire or Maine where 50% of toll revenue is out of state in CT it's estimated that it would be under 30%. Add that even with electronic tolling about 20% of toll revenue will go to toll collecting overhead not including infrastructure which might add another 5-10% depending on amortization schedules? So were saying we want to add a huge expense to CT residents in order for a tiny percentage of actual revenue be paid by out of state residents?

It's gigantic waste of efficiency to collect tolls instead of raising revenue elsewhere (or cutting spending). And thats without getting into the traffic issues it will cause. Several thousand commuters a day now use Cedar st in Newington as a bypass around 84 thru Hartford, I doubt that will get better with tolls.

Old 01-24-2018, 09:02 PM

143 posts, read 106,857 times
I say tolls, we don’t need anymore gas taxes.

Old 01-24-2018, 09:02 PM

21,756 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by East of the River View Post
Lets start with the basics. So we want to create a new tax system? Which will require new infrastructure. New Bureaucracy and more places for funding to disappear?

As mentioned unlike New Hampshire or Maine where 50% of toll revenue is out of state in CT it's estimated that it would be under 30%. Add that even with electronic tolling about 20% of toll revenue will go to toll collecting overhead not including infrastructure which might add another 5-10% depending on amortization schedules? So were saying we want to add a huge expense to CT residents in order for a tiny percentage of actual revenue be paid by out of state residents?

It's gigantic waste of efficiency to collect tolls instead of raising revenue elsewhere (or cutting spending). And thats without getting into the traffic issues it will cause. Several thousand commuters a day now use Cedar st in Newington as a bypass around 84 thru Hartford, I doubt that will get better with tolls.
Cite those studies, please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut