Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will historians rate Malloy in 5 worst Ct govs ever?
YES 16 69.57%
NO 7 30.43%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 07:42 AM

2,439 posts, read 4,809,193 times

Advertisements

History tends to reevaluate the consensus of the moment rather than confirm it. More likely a historian will rate the governor more highly than popular sentiment does now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2018, 09:01 AM

4,398 posts, read 3,285,875 times
I would like to offer up the GDP Per Capita of the states which is a true measure of real economic strength.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...t-gdp-by-state

The latest figures I could would find were from 2016.

#1 MA $65,545
#2 NY $64,579
#3 CT $64,511

Not bad for having the "worst governor" in CT history wouldn't you say.

Old 01-26-2018, 09:23 AM

746 posts, read 543,045 times
In addition to Grasso, I'd have to go with Wilbur Cross-- At one time principal of Staples High School and namesake for about half of Route 15....

Old 01-26-2018, 09:50 AM

34,727 posts, read 56,531,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalMilford View Post
Do historians create lists of "top 5" and "bottom 5" Connecticut governors? If so, I'm a big Ella Grasso fan.

Nice pretense to open yet another Malloy bashing thread, though...
See now I think Ella Grasso was one of the state's worst Governors EVER. Many of our problems today stem from poor shortsighted decisions made during her administration.

She cut back on funding transportation which led to the collapse of the Mianus River bridge killing 3 people. She killed the highway loop around Hartford even though it was designed and ready for construction and the land for it had been purchased. This resulted in the traffic mess that we have today around the capital city. She canceled starting the operation of the already constructed monorail at Bradley Airport that was to be the first modern mass transit link in greater Hartford and ultimately would have run to downtown. She was notoriously cheap and it showed in everything from our infrastructure to cheap state buildings that were constructed during the era. Much of what was built at that time had to be replaced or renovated at great expense in later years.

Many I think overlook her real record which includes laying off 500 state workers right before Christmas and being so cheap that the state's response to the blizzard of 1978 was meager at best. Though she was the first woman in the country elected in her own right, she appointed surprisingly few woman to key jobs in her administration. I think many people overlook these things because she was a woman and because she got sick in office and died soon after leaving. Jay

Old 01-26-2018, 10:57 AM

1,684 posts, read 1,117,464 times
Oh wow. It's a Malloy Sucks thread. What do you know?

I'll take Malloy over Rowland anyway. Letting the Whalers go, getting played by Robert Kraft, laying off 2,800 state employees five days before Christmas, and landing in federal prison is a more impressive s%$# sandwich resume than just being a doofus.

Old 01-26-2018, 11:41 AM

11,252 posts, read 18,760,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
History tends to reevaluate the consensus of the moment rather than confirm it. More likely a historian will rate the governor more highly than popular sentiment does now.
To me this poll is meaningless and just a symbol of our hyper-polarized times today. How many polls out there of random people would have Obama rank high as both best and worst President ever (he's neither) and same for GW Bush (at one time I would've put him worst but with hindsight realize that that is my own personal political bias as well, not that I love the guy but worst (and best for that matter) are pretty strong statements that should not be taken so lightly, before I bring up Trump I'll just say it's too soon to have a poll on him).

And if since you are polling about the current governor of CT, just imagine a poll on the current President, you'd have plenty, I mean plenty of people saying he's worst, and a lot saying he's the best as well.

Old 01-26-2018, 12:03 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,793,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthegoldengod View Post

I'll take Malloy over Rowland anyway. Letting the Whalers go, getting played by Robert Kraft, laying off 2,800 state employees five days before Christmas, and landing in federal prison is a more impressive s%$# sandwich resume than just being a doofus.
Also, under Rowland's watch the state employee pension fund lost at least $200 million dollars in a failed deal with Enron.

No one cares about Governors unless they become President or perhaps a US Senator.

For my money Wiecker was the worst in recent history. Grasso is before my time so I can't really judge her.

Old 01-26-2018, 12:41 PM

34,727 posts, read 56,531,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthegoldengod View Post

He got sent to Federal prison TWICE! He also trash-talked the busway project which was conceived and approved under his administration. I forgot about the layoffs. What an idiot! Yeah, he should be in the 5 worst. Jay

Old 01-26-2018, 01:11 PM

1,684 posts, read 1,117,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Also, under Rowland's watch the state employee pension fund lost at least $200 million dollars in a failed deal with Enron.

No one cares about Governors unless they become President or perhaps a US Senator.

For my money Wiecker was the worst in recent history. Grasso is before my time so I can't really judge her.
Also, because he didn't follow proper procedure with the state layoffs and only laid off union workers and not a single manager, he opened up the state to a lawsuit which lasted literally a decade in court with payouts to laid off employees which have cost the state well over a HUNDRED MILLION dollars.

So yes, Malloy may not be a gem, but the damage he's done to CT is child's play compared with Rowland.

Old 01-26-2018, 02:56 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,793,838 times
Rowland also wanted to (not sure if he tried) to eliminate shore line east.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut