Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 09:44 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,781,844 times

Advertisements

Worse yet, you're going to have to pay property tax on the car, according to the mil rate of the town in which you register it! I never thought of that issue for homeless people. That's tough. So research mil rates, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2018, 09:45 AM

https://jalopnik.com/how-to-get-resi...r-v-1694736427

Mailbox service. Read above link.

Old 01-28-2018, 09:29 PM

29 posts, read 32,737 times
I just went through the registration and license process as a new CT transplant. I'm not sure what all of the following you have, but when I went the first time I was turned away before even taking a number (there's quite a few requirements for this).

- Insurance written in CT
- Original vehicle title (this one set me back weeks, had to contact my lienholder to get them to get it printed in FL then mailed to CT)
- VIN verification and emissions test (emissions depends on age of the car)

https://www.dmv.org/ct-connecticut/car-registration.php

Best of luck!

Old 02-14-2018, 03:48 PM

314 posts, read 547,241 times
Questions:

What is the cost of an expired registration ticket on temp tags in CT, assuming there is a set price?

If it matters, the tags were issued in PA

How dilegently do CT police enforce expired registration? I.e if a cop pulls up behind me with tags that are a few weeks past expiration, am I getting pulled over 100% of the time?

Will an officer ticket a parked vehicle or are you only at risk while its in operation?

Old 02-16-2018, 05:34 AM

118 posts, read 284,955 times
You can register it in Vermont with an out of state residence/address. You can even do the registration via mail. There are online companies that can help you do this that exist because lots of people do this to register off road motorcycles that are not street legal in most other states. I've never tried the Mail-in method but I've seen the instruction right on the registration forms. Or, the simplest way is to drive there and it it in person. It will take about 10 minutes. no lines, no waits. nice people.

Old 02-16-2018, 07:31 AM

Bang, if that can be done, that sounds like the best solution for this person. Car will be registered, and he can go where he wants with it for awhile to come.

Another problem is insurance. How do you get an insurer to insure you, with no address for the car?

Old 02-16-2018, 11:01 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,380,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amazinmets73 View Post
Questions:

What is the cost of an expired registration ticket on temp tags in CT, assuming there is a set price?

If it matters, the tags were issued in PA

How dilegently do CT police enforce expired registration? I.e if a cop pulls up behind me with tags that are a few weeks past expiration, am I getting pulled over 100% of the time?

Will an officer ticket a parked vehicle or are you only at risk while its in operation?
A lot of Patrol Cars have Plate Readers and you run the risk of not only getting a ticket, but I believe they impound the car....even if it's in a public parking lot

Old 02-16-2018, 12:17 PM

696 posts, read 703,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
A lot of Patrol Cars have Plate Readers and you run the risk of not only getting a ticket, but I believe they impound the car....even if it's in a public parking lot
This.

Old 02-17-2018, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang! View Post
You can register it in Vermont with an out of state residence/address. You can even do the registration via mail. There are online companies that can help you do this that exist because lots of people do this to register off road motorcycles that are not street legal in most other states. I've never tried the Mail-in method but I've seen the instruction right on the registration forms. Or, the simplest way is to drive there and it it in person. It will take about 10 minutes. no lines, no waits. nice people.
What about safety inspection & emissions inspections?

Old 02-17-2018, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
"An officer may elect to do one of the following
*Issue a citation for the violation. You will then be required to renew your registration typically within no longer than thirty days.

*Let you know of the violation, but let you off with a warning and not write a citation.

*Write a citation and also impound or tow the vehicle (if the registration is expired more than six months). You may not regain possession of the vehicle until you renew the registration and pay any associated fines.

*Give you a citation, but not impound your vehicle even though your registration is expired more than six months."

As of today my temp tags are expired by 2 days...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut