Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 04:21 PM

29 posts, read 32,733 times

Advertisements

Thought I would share a little Hartford positivity. I will also add that despite the state's problems the IT sector here seems strong. I had zero trouble relocating here are a software engineer and am every few days contacted by recruiters for openings for companies small and large. Granted No. 4 seems a bit bold but the point being is Hartford and the surrounding areas are a great place for the IT professional looking to avoid the high costs of NYC and Boston, and has potential to continue growing.

Believe It: Hartford No. 4 U.S. Tech City - Hartford Courant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2018, 04:34 PM

370 posts, read 608,629 times
Total crap...40th in the country would be a stretch.

Old 01-29-2018, 04:35 PM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
LOL - I was just going to post this too. This is very good news and should be promoted heavily promoted by the city and state. I will say I am not entirely surprised by this. Someone I know who worked in Hartford but relocated to Boston was surprised how behind his new major employer was in comparison to his Hartford company was. He said most of the Hartford insurers are at the top for technology.

That said, this really goes against what Aetna CEO claimed about Hartford when he wanted to move the company’s headquarters to New York. Can the CEO of Travelers and the Brookings Institute be wrong. I don’t think so. Time to let people know the facts. Jay

Old 01-29-2018, 04:36 PM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UconnHusky1 View Post
Total crap...40th in the country would be a stretch.
And what do you base this opinion on? Do you have any facts to support what you claim? Jay

Old 01-29-2018, 05:08 PM

752 posts, read 553,293 times
Well I guess our job is done then?

Absurd to rank Hartford 4th on so many levels. Why don't they open a WeWork if it's such a Tech Center? Which big tech conferences come here? (None. The city couldn't even sustain its own code camp, recently cancelled due to lack of interest). Let's look at the Skyline for the name of tech companies you'd recognize (none). Where's Google's Hartford office?

The city doesn't even have an Apple Store.

Cities I've been too/worked in that are more "tech Hub" than Hartford: New York (Manhattan and Brooklyn are separate scenes far exceeding Hartford), San Francisco, Palo Alto (SV), Seattle, Las Vegas, Boston, New Haven, Charlotte, Portland (Both of them), Tampa, Washington DC, Denver, Austin, Dallas, Raleigh, Phoenix, Boise, Columbus.

Yes, insurance companies do a lot of data processing. That's hardly "tech" in the modern vernacular.

This type of delusional crap serves no one. It's not about "feeling better" about Hartford (and the state tech scene in general), it's about being better.

Old 01-29-2018, 05:19 PM

29 posts, read 32,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalMilford View Post
Yes, insurance companies do a lot of data processing. That's hardly "tech" in the modern vernacular.

This type of delusional crap serves no one. It's not about "feeling better" about Hartford (and the state tech scene in general), it's about being better.
I'm not trying to justify being 4th vs 5th or 10th or whatever. Just that there is a great tech sector here already. Insurance traditionally are a lot of data processing but technology is changing them and they developing new ways of doing business (I've worked in both healthcare and insurance). I also would not argue this is a Silicon Valley competitor or even trying to be.

The point of posting this was to point out there is a good sized market here already for a small metro area and the cost of living being much lower than NYC and Boston make it easy to have a high quality of life where you aren't searching for a job, but the jobs are searching for you. Regardless of where you think the true number ranking, there's a great market here, insurance companies will continue to move more processes into software applications and while I can't comment on the success, the city is at least trying to set up incubators to encourage Hartford based startups.

How Hartford is Attracting Tech Innovators - Hartford InsurTech Hub

Old 01-29-2018, 05:24 PM

752 posts, read 553,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forevermetal02 View Post
I'm not trying to justify being 4th vs 5th or 10th or whatever. Just that there is a great tech sector here already. Insurance traditionally are a lot of data processing but technology is changing them and they developing new ways of doing business (I've worked in both healthcare and insurance). I also would not argue this is a Silicon Valley competitor or even trying to be.

The point of posting this was to point out there is a good sized market here already for a small metro area and the cost of living being much lower than NYC and Boston make it easy to have a high quality of life where you aren't searching for a job, but the jobs are searching for you. Regardless of where you think the true number ranking, there's a great market here, insurance companies will continue to move more processes into software applications and while I can't comment on the success, the city is at least trying to set up incubators to encourage Hartford based startups.

How Hartford is Attracting Tech Innovators - Hartford InsurTech Hub
Hartford has two incubators (Insurance and Benefit Corp), top environments have dozens. I'm not saying there's NOTHING going on in Hartford, however, looking at stuff like this and congratulating ourselves is bogus and only serves to exacerbate the actual problems.

Good market for developers is only one factor in being / becoming a tech hub.

If Hartford is the #4 tech city in the county and still in such dire straits financially, there is little hope. But, the fact is REAL tech hubs aren't in financial trouble...

Old 01-29-2018, 05:32 PM

21,738 posts, read 28,070,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalMilford View Post
Well I guess our job is done then?

Absurd to rank Hartford 4th on so many levels. Why don't they open a WeWork if it's such a Tech Center? Which big tech conferences come here? (None. The city couldn't even sustain its own code camp, recently cancelled due to lack of interest). Let's look at the Skyline for the name of tech companies you'd recognize (none). Where's Google's Hartford office?

The city doesn't even have an Apple Store.

Cities I've been too/worked in that are more "tech Hub" than Hartford: New York (Manhattan and Brooklyn are separate scenes far exceeding Hartford), San Francisco, Palo Alto (SV), Seattle, Las Vegas, Boston, New Haven, Charlotte, Portland (Both of them), Tampa, Washington DC, Denver, Austin, Dallas, Raleigh, Phoenix, Boise, Columbus.

100% correct.

Top 10 tech hubs are SF/Bay Area, Seattle, Austin, Boston/Cambridge, NYC, Boulder, etc.

Sitting on our laurels and patting ourselves on the back for a ranking in a flawed list like this does the state no good. Hustling and making big changes does.

Old 01-29-2018, 05:36 PM

34,037 posts, read 17,056,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
100% correct.

Top 10 tech hubs are SF/Bay Area, Seattle, Austin, Boston/Cambridge, NYC, Boulder, etc.

Sitting on our laurels and patting ourselves on the back for a ranking in a flawed list like this does the state no good. Hustling and making big changes does.
amen

Old 01-29-2018, 05:58 PM

1,241 posts, read 902,278 times
I was curious to see the criteria that Brookings looked at to devise its’ rankings but I cannot find a report that lists Hartford as the #4 tech city. Had anyone seen the actual report referenced in the linked article?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut