Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 10:11 AM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times

Advertisements

I moved to CT from MA a few months ago and went through the ordeal of registering the car here and getting a CT drivers license. We were given so much conflicting information, sent home to get more papers, sent to Hartford to get a paper SS card instead of just giving our SS numbers, waiting around for hours on end, it took many trips to get this done. Thought I'd never have to do this again.

Now we have sold that car and bought another used car. And here we go again.

First, dh went there yesterday only to find it was closed. Closed for Lincoln's Birthday. If you go to the main page, it doesn't tell you that. You have to click on one of the categories to see it. (BTW it is also closed this coming Friday at 12:30 and due to George Washington's Birthday it will not open again until Tuesday, Feb. 20th!

Meanwhile, dh went again today with the bill of sale signed by both parties, the title, driver's license, insurance card, utility bills to document his name and address. They won't let him register the car! A very unpleasant employee handed him a blank bill of sale and told him he has to go back to the seller and get her to sign it. Our bill of sale apparently isn't good enough. I've sold cars before and never knew that you had to use THEIR bill of sale. The seller lives in Boston. I have to go to Boston and get her to sign another bill of sale? What if we had bought the car in Florida?

Is this true re the bill of sale?

Meanwhile, the next guy in line was trying to register a 1986 car. On the DMV website it says that any car over 20 years old is not required to have a title. The unpleasant employee told him he couldn't register the car and he needed to get a title. The guy whipped out a printout from the website about the 20 year old cars not needing a title, the unpleasant employee took it and showed it to some other employee, came back and said that's not true anymore! The guy was so infuriated that he said he's going to call the governor.

Any input on any of this? Do you really need to go and get the seller to sign an official DMV bill of sale? And have they changed the twenty year rule regarding title?

I thought Massachusetts was bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2018, 10:19 AM

487 posts, read 536,988 times
[SIZE=4]Bill of Sale[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]A Bill of Sale is always required along with proof of ownership document for vehicle to process a new registration in CT which can be our Bill of Sale (form H-31) form H-31 or Supplemental Assignment of Ownership (form Q-1). It can also be a handwritten bill of sale that provides vehicle, seller and buyers' information, and also selling price with date sold.[/SIZE]

DMV: Proof Of Ownership Documents

Old 02-13-2018, 10:31 AM

21,756 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Bill of sale does have to be CT form from you, since you’re the seller.

My condolences, the DMV is incredibly inefficient. I can’t wait until it’s all online and they’re bulldozed to the ground.

Old 02-13-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Bill of sale does have to be CT form from you, since you’re the seller.

My condolences, the DMV is incredibly inefficient. I can’t wait until it’s all online and they’re bulldozed to the ground.
We are the buyers though, not the seller. The seller lives in Mass and she signed the bill of sale in Mass. We bought her car and want to register it here in CT. We used a bill of sale that we produced on the computer and it has our signatures, her signature, the date of the sale, and the VIN of the car as well as the make, model, and year.

Thanks for the condolences; this place is from HELL.

Old 02-13-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davwve View Post
[SIZE=4]Bill of Sale[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]A Bill of Sale is always required along with proof of ownership document for vehicle to process a new registration in CT which can be our Bill of Sale (form H-31) form H-31 or Supplemental Assignment of Ownership (form Q-1). It can also be a handwritten bill of sale that provides vehicle, seller and buyers' information, and also selling price with date sold.[/SIZE]

DMV: Proof Of Ownership Documents
That's what we had. The "handwritten" (although we printed it out on the computer) bill of sale with all that information. It was refused and he was told it had to be on THEIR form, which was rudely more or less thrust in his face. Thank you for the verification.

It can also be a handwritten bill of sale that provides vehicle, seller and buyers' information, and also selling price with date sold.

Old 02-13-2018, 11:30 AM

487 posts, read 536,988 times
Not that I am advocating it but just sign "their" form and bring it back.

Old 02-13-2018, 12:46 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Not worth anything but yesterday was Monday. Connecticut DMV is not even open on Mondays. That is very clearly posted on their website. I also saw it very clearly stated the dates they are closed for holidays right on the top[ of the page with their hours. I can't speak to the other problems you face but I do agree they are horrible to deal with at times. Good luck, Jay

Old 02-13-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davwve View Post
Not that I am advocating it but just sign "their" form and bring it back.
No one would advocate that, lol. I'll practice forging her name though.

It sure does take a long time to get anything done at the DMV.

Old 02-13-2018, 12:51 PM

1,292 posts, read 1,976,191 times
It can be any bill of sale. I have bought cars from Kansas and Tennessee and had no problem using their bill of sale.

Old 02-13-2018, 03:21 PM

Conclusion.

He went back again with the same papers, got a different person and now the car is registered.

And, if this will help anyone in the future, I called the number on their website and was advised that when they give you a hard time like this, you should ASK FOR A MANAGER.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut