Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 04:06 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,239,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
The politics and regulation of firearms in the United States are VERY complex. If they were not complex, the topic would not be so divisive, and we would not find it so difficult to find solutions.
It hasn't been a complex issue anywhere else in the world. When Australia had the Port Arthur Massacre the Australian government immediately took action on gun control. Ditto the Dunblane Massacre in the UK. The issue is very simple, when there is an abundant supply of guns available then they will be used to commit mass murder. Its why ever single first world nation on earth has strong gun control....but America because we are evidently dumber then everyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 04:24 PM

4,448 posts, read 3,342,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
The politics and regulation of firearms in the United States are VERY complex. If they were not complex, the topic would not be so divisive, and we would not find it so difficult to find solutions.
It's actually pretty simple and elementary....the more guns, the more gun deaths.
(please scroll down to #5)
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...cs-maps-charts

We need less guns* and stricter gun laws on who can purchase the guns. CT (and CA) now has the strictest gun laws in the country and they are working in CT.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...=.7ba12d981e6a

*Certainly no guns/weapons that can kill scores of people in a few minutes, only the military should have those types of weapons. Most of the people in the country think like I do too. I saw a poll on TV that said 97% of Americans want stricter gun control laws.

BTW, when people ask me why I don't retire down south my reply is this....I would rather be cold and in a safer state with less guns and strict gun control laws than down south were they have the most guns and non-existent gun laws.

Last edited by CTartist; 02-21-2018 at 04:33 PM..

Old 02-21-2018, 04:32 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Then why does your side dwell on the gun instead of these societal freaks? Gets us nowhere? Where would to take us?
What does “your side” mean? I’m a registered independent, and a moderate.

Also, stricter gun control is a whole lot easier to enact than fixing “societal freaks”.

Old 02-21-2018, 04:35 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
As a moderate, I laugh at both sides who claim the media, left and right, to be truthful and fair. If you don’t think CNN has had a leftist agenda, you haven’t been paying attention.
I agree with you, BUT it’s the right wing media that confuses facts and opinion.

If you fact check CNN and Fox News, or NY Times and Breitbart, vastly different results. Both very biased and clearly opinionated, but lying about the facts stoops much lower.

Old 02-21-2018, 04:36 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post

BTW, when people ask me why I don't retire down south my reply is this....I would rather be cold and in a safer state with less guns and strict gun control laws than down south were they have the most guns and non-existent gun laws.
Hey, man, I'm with most of what you said, but go check a map of where most of the school/mass shootings happen.

Old 02-21-2018, 05:29 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,805,028 times
I find it funny when abortion loving liberals claim to love the children. Really they just hate guns. And if you’re going to vote for Democrats, then you’re getting in bed with the abortion loving liberals. So, it really isn’t about the children is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post

I just sent this to the Republican National Committee yesterday.......

I am an Independent and have voted for many Republicans in my lifetime. Here is a message for your party. I will NEVER vote for a Republican again as long as you are slaves to the NRA and you keep letting our youth be massacred. If voting for the Democrats means being taxed to death and our country being over run with illegals SO BE IT! I have had it with you Republican merchants of death. CT Artist*, Trumbull, CT

*of course I put my real name.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Hey, man, I'm with most of what you said, but go check a map of where most of the school/mass shootings happen.
Why didn't you post it the map. Please post the map/info of your statement above, thank you.

BTW, CT did not have the strong gun laws until AFTER Sandy Hook. So if the map has info from 2012 of course Sandy Hook will be on it. The gun laws in CT were a RESULT of the Sandy Hook shooting but at least our politicians did something.

Last edited by CTartist; 02-21-2018 at 07:56 PM..

Old 02-21-2018, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakesq View Post
I find it funny when abortion loving liberals claim to love the children. Really they just hate guns. And if you’re going to vote for Democrats, then you’re getting in bed with the abortion loving liberals. So, it really isn’t about the children is it?
I am a proud INDEPENDENT. My financial comfort and my religious beliefs (I do not believe in abortion) now come SECOND TO THE SAFETY OF THE NATIONS CHILDREN.

You know that saying "put your money where your mouth is". I have had enough of this death and destruction of our children. I will now vote for the Democrats until the Republican merchants of death change their vote on gun control & background checks.

I can't even imagine what it must be like to be a child in today's society and have to walk into a school every day thinking I might die today. Jesus, the only thing I had to worry about in my youth was will my mom & dad find out if I skipped school and smoked a little pot today not AM I GOING TO GET KILLED TODAY.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:02 PM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times
I think the Government still needs to set up a Department of Methal Health and Developmental. Excess tax cigarettes and liquor/alcohol/marijuana to increase mental health services to States. Increase funding of social service's in Schools.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:19 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Dems want strong gun control. NRA does not. Do you realize why, even when Dems had majority, the small NRA (just a few % of all voters) wins? Its not $$$$. Its unity.

They vote as a block. I do generally vote Republicans in, but cannot fathom for the life of me, why one vote (Iraq) was sufficient for Dems to boot Lieberman out, but Dems will happily re-elect West Virginia's Senator Manchin.

Ending a career here and there is a very strong message. 95% of Congress gets re-elected, but very few of the 5% ever bounce back.

If you dislike the status quo of gun control, the solution is pick a few Democrats who are pro NRA and end their careers. You cannot control the other guy's primary. You can control you own. And, if Dem survives to November, end his/her career.

Tell them Joe Lieberman sent you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut