Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 05:27 PM

3,346 posts, read 4,131,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimCharles View Post
Wilton doesn't have a downtown, bro
It’s pretty clear you haven’t ever been there. You might want to look beyond route 7. A value add reply from the four post veteran. https://www.wiltonbulletin.com/wp-co...ys-640x400.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2018, 06:31 PM

21,530 posts, read 30,951,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
It’s pretty clear you haven’t ever been there. You might want to look beyond route 7. A value add reply from the four post veteran. https://www.wiltonbulletin.com/wp-co...ys-640x400.jpg
I would call Wilton’s more of a “community center”. It doesn’t, IMO, have that downtown feel.

Old 02-24-2018, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Okay.
I’ll add it seems more of a cluster of shopping centers than a traditional Main Street with aesthetically pleasing sidewalks - nothing like Ridgefield. JMO.

Old 02-24-2018, 06:34 PM

3,346 posts, read 4,131,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I would call Wilton’s more of a “community center”. It doesn’t, IMO, have that downtown feel.
It’s a curious suggestion. Locally owned retailers, village market, library, movies, dry cleaners, jewelers, a dozen restaurants or so. Highly walkable - more so than Fairfield or Ridgefield.

Old 02-24-2018, 06:36 PM

Quote:
It’s a curious suggestion. Locally owned retailers, village market, library, movies, dry cleaners, jewelers, a dozen restaurants or so. Highly walkable - more so than Fairfield or Ridgefield.
Definitely walkable, just not a traditional layout.

Old 02-25-2018, 02:40 PM

1,979 posts, read 1,436,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthegoldengod View Post
West Hartford Center. Glastonbury Center on a quieter scale.

Many towns have no walkable downtowns to speak of. Either their stores and restaurants are spread out through town or you have something like Manchester or Enfield where it's completely car-centric and not very pedestrian friendly. Is it like that everywhere or is it just this state?
Manchester actually has both a traditional downtown and the huge retail area. Also as to elsewhere most of the country is worse as it was developed after the car was a thing.

New London has an interesting downtown. For smaller East Lyme has the funky downtown right next to the beach. Chester is cool but really tiny.

For downtowns with potential that aren't yet there I agree with Torrington but would add out Norwich and Willimantic as others.

Old 02-25-2018, 07:18 PM

1,680 posts, read 1,112,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by East of the River View Post
Manchester actually has both a traditional downtown and the huge retail area. Also as to elsewhere most of the country is worse as it was developed after the car was a thing.

New London has an interesting downtown. For smaller East Lyme has the funky downtown right next to the beach. Chester is cool but really tiny.

For downtowns with potential that aren't yet there I agree with Torrington but would add out Norwich and Willimantic as others.
Cars ruined everything.

Old 02-26-2018, 06:19 AM

687 posts, read 387,177 times
Freekin cars !

Old 03-02-2024, 08:07 PM

11 posts, read 2,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Then your selection is much smaller. SoNo, Fairfield, Westport, Black Rock, Milford, West Hartford.

Other downtowns mentioned are sleepier and more about the charm. Or family oriented.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Definitely walkable, just not a traditional layout.

Agree with you as a Wilton resident. Lacks the beauty of Ridgefield or NC but there is definitely a community feeling IMO.

Old Yesterday, 10:18 AM

280 posts, read 108,481 times
Best Downtown to walk around

Westport followed by New Canaan. Both are not on main roads (Westport is off of one) but offer a nice blend of stores and restaurants.

Also pretty good, Milford. I don't have an much experience with it but Ive been there several times and enjoyed it.

Greenwich - easy to walk down (or up) but last time I was there I was surprised how dirty the street was.

Otherwise
Darien & Fairfield - both are similar in my opinion. A bit too spread out and on the post road.

SONO - fantastic if you are hungry but otherwise it seems the few shops/galleries there are in constant cycle of opening or closing so it can be hit or miss. Art festival there is great though.
Black Rock -Yes it has some good restaurants but for walking around? Sorry pass.
Wilton - nice downtown but more for locals. Not really a place to walk around much as a place to go for specific things, get in your car and leave.

Ridgefield - easier to walk than Wilton and has a great park for the kids but if you don't know where you are going you can miss a lot of it. I kind of find it over rated as it's often on "best downtown" lists. I lived in the town for a few years and avoided it much of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut