Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2018, 10:24 AM

2,005 posts, read 2,087,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Taxes are low in Greenwich because the property values are high. This should be obvious.

Greenwich is the wealthiest town in Fairfield county, and Glastonbury is the wealthiest town in Hartford county. South Glastonbury is actually the wealthiest zip code 06073 in Hartford county. Both counties are similar in population and both counties drive CT. The comparison is very valid and justified. Without either county CT would sink.

I don't understand why anyone is hung up 13,000 people leaving a state with a population of 3.5 million. That equates to 2 and a half of one ten thousandth of a percent. That is statistically insignificant.

And if all those 13k people are middle class who's buying their houses ? and why haven't prices fallen ? There are very few vacant properties in the upper tier towns of Fairfield or Hartford county.

Now if you look at Bridgeport or East Hartford you're going to find plenty of vacant properties, but no one wants to live in those towns.
Greenwich actually isn't when looking at income... Darien and New Canaan are.. but even still, Glastonbury can't compare to Greenwich in any way, shape or form..

Sorry but if you aren't concerned with 13,000 people leaving the state each year... there is a BIG problem.

Old 03-03-2018, 11:12 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,832,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
Greenwich actually isn't when looking at income... Darien and New Canaan are.. but even still, Glastonbury can't compare to Greenwich in any way, shape or form..

Sorry but if you aren't concerned with 13,000 people leaving the state each year... there is a BIG problem.
My reply is and always will be 2 and a half of one ten thousandth of a percent does not matter. If you are familiar with statistics a number that low based on a data set of 3.5 million is not only within one deviation of the mean, its so small it can't be plotted on a number graph, it would actually blend in with the linear line of regression.

I hate to drop the math knowledge, but I don't know any other way to make you understand. Don't take my word for it though. If you know a math teacher ask them the same question please.

Old 03-03-2018, 11:43 AM

21,619 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
My reply is and always will be 2 and a half of one ten thousandth of a percent does not matter. If you are familiar with statistics a number that low based on a data set of 3.5 million is not only within one deviation of the mean, its so small it can't be plotted on a number graph, it would actually blend in with the linear line of regression.

I hate to drop the math knowledge, but I don't know any other way to make you understand. Don't take my word for it though. If you know a math teacher ask them the same question please.
Now, multiply that over time and look at the average income of those relocating. It doesn’t seem good now, does it? Answer: No, it’s not good.

Old 03-03-2018, 11:52 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,832,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
You’re kidding, right? Everyone’s taxes in Connecticut have gone up. I guess you forgot about the major tax increases CT experienced in 2012ish and again in 2017. You also forget that just last month, Malloy announced an increase to gas tax. There were only a handful of communities where property taxes went down - and over the last decade, CT went from being the fifth most tax burdened state to the second. But nah - no tax increases.

Taxes need to rise every year due to inflation. I already said my property taxes when up $200 in the last 7 years, so that averages $28.57 per year, I think I can afford that. Income taxes have only gone up at the top tiers, I am not in the top tiers. So no my taxes haven't gone up.

Please show me the towns where the taxes are running away and remember to account for inflation.

If your town is having double digit property tax increases then you should sell and move to Rocky Hill. We don't have anything of the kind happening in this town. Then again if the property taxes are increasing so much and quickly in your town who's going to buy your house ?

I went over the tax data before, but the additional tax at the top tier for 2015 would be $4,000 dollars per million earned over $500,000. I think people in this bracket can afford it, and I don't think any of them are going to uproot their whole lives to move to Florida, North Carolina, Tennessee, or even Virginia to save $4,000 per million.

As of 2016 the top tier went from 6.9 to 6.99 which is obvious a smaller increase, but accounting for that change only raises it to $4,900 per million earned over $500,000

You should however be happy to know that the exemptions were reduced to 10,000 per year so we are gonna get a little something extra from the poor and low income people too. They need to have some skin in the game too you know. Darn freeloaders.

I already told you my occupation, so I don't know why you continue trying to trip me up on taxes its not going to happen.

Old 03-03-2018, 12:42 PM

Inflation is something every state experiences. When CT goes from barely the top 5 for tax burden to # 2 (.01% away from # 1), it means tax increases have surpassed inflation rate.

Again, the largest in history tax increase in the past 6 years. The increases included sales tax, state lodging tax (highest in nation), luxury tax, towing tax, spa service tax, diesel tax (highest in nation), just to name a few.

But - and I repeat - what tax increase?

Old 03-03-2018, 01:30 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,146,129 times
Demographics in the United States have shifted westward every decade since 1790. The Constitution State has been coping with fleeing refugees since the ink hadn't dried on The Constitution. Made up crisis?

Old 03-03-2018, 01:32 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,146,129 times
Also go to CD forums in California---everyone complains about too many people moving there and all the negative side effects of that. Floridians complain about all the hassles snow birds cause.

Humans are never happy.

Old 03-03-2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthegoldengod View Post
Demographics in the United States have shifted westward every decade since 1790. The Constitution State has been coping with fleeing refugees since the ink hadn't dried on The Constitution. Made up crisis?
I guess you can call it make believe if you prefer ignoring stats and facts.

Old 03-03-2018, 01:42 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Comparing to Greenwich, the community with the state’s lowest mil rate, is inaccurate at best (come on, you know this). Greenwich’s price per square foot is WAY higher than Westwood. To compare apples to apples, you really have to compare communities with similar PPSqFT.

Southport is the closest town to Westwood in PPSqFT - and it shows that property taxes in MA are several thousand less.
Why? It is a fair comparison. A $1 million home is a $1 million home no matter what town it is in. Greenwich has lower taxes. That is a fact. It is in Connecticut. Also a fact. Why should it be dismissed? It is an option to anyone who can afford a million dollar home just like towns with higher taxes.

Southport is part of Fairfield and from what I see, Westwood is not like Fairfield at all. Fairfield is a large mature town with a somewhat diverse population. Westwood is an affluent younger outer suburb. It is the ninth wealthiest town in Massachusetts. Fairfield has a lot of expensive services like multiple libraries, beaches, parks, etc. Westwood not so much. Fairfield has over 60,000 people. I believe Westwood has about 14,000. Not sure how you can compare them on one hand when you dismiss Greenwich on the other. Jay

Old 03-03-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Why? It is a fair comparison. A $1 million home is a $1 million home no matter what town it is in. Greenwich has lower taxes. That is a fact. It is in Connecticut. Also a fact. Why should it be dismissed? It is an option to anyone who can afford a million dollar home just like towns with higher taxes.

Southport is part of Fairfield and from what I see, Westwood is not like Fairfield at all. Fairfield is a large mature town with a somewhat diverse population. Westwood is an affluent younger outer suburb. It is the ninth wealthiest town in Massachusetts. Fairfield has a lot of expensive services like multiple libraries, beaches, parks, etc. Westwood not so much. Fairfield has over 60,000 people. I believe Westwood has about 14,000. Not sure how you can compare them on one hand when you dismiss Greenwich on the other. Jay
Are you arguing that Fairfield’s taxes aren’t more, or are you giving reasons for them being more (re services)? If the latter, I don’t disagree - but that doesn’t change the fact Fairfield’s taxes are quite a bit higher than Westwood’s for two homes nearly identical in both stats and price.

Greenwich is a major outlier when it comes to property taxes, and that is a widely known fact. Greenwich also has almost double the price per square foot of Westwood. Why not compare Westwood to Bridgeport, then? Or how about West Hartford? Glastonbury? Because they are not similarly priced communities (not to mention property taxes on a $1m home would be close to double that of Westwood). Let’s stick with apple to apple comparisons if we value accuracy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut