Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 04:35 PM

33,754 posts, read 16,753,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalMilford View Post
Does Nep321 Count?
Actually his two brothers would also count, since all grew up in Ct, and all fled.

Much of my extended family and friends fled. Some in southwest, a few in Ct, a few in Illinois, some in Fl & Ga.

Many of my ex neighbors in Milford also left the state for opportunities elsewhere.

Those left are well into their 60s and 70s, and struggling.

Old 02-25-2018, 04:38 PM

21,495 posts, read 27,743,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG2 View Post
Different Jonathan R. Moved to South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Actually his two brothers would also count, since all grew up in Ct, and all fled.

Much of my extended family and friends fled. Some in southwest, a few in Ct, a few in Illinois, some in Fl & Ga.

Many of my ex neighbors in Milford also left the state for opportunities elsewhere.

Those left are well into their 60s and 70s, and struggling.
There’s been very little turnover in my neighborhood and I’ve almost been here 8 years. Milford, like other towns in southwest CT, is adding population not losing and bucking the trend of the rest of the state.

I don’t disagree with some of your criticisms of the state, but it’s not all doom and gloom.

Old 02-25-2018, 04:38 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,842,378 times
I know 3 of my old co workers. 1 to texas, 1 to south carolina and other to Delaware right outside of philly. I know a handful more that wants to move but cant afford it. Only know 1 or two people that want to stay in ct

Old 02-25-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
There’s been very little turnover in my neighborhood and I’ve almost been here 8 years. Milford, like other towns in southwest CT, is adding population not losing and bucking the trend of the rest of the state.

I don’t disagree with some of your criticisms of the state, but it’s not all doom and gloom.
Milford has done ok.

However, I know several dozen who have fled, many in prime earning years.

If not tied to Wall St like industries, Ct economically is long-term, not doing well.

We need to rebuild an "independent of Wall St" economic base, that is also not "Cost Plus defense" related. In other words, true private sector GDP Grand List growth, not dependent on Wall St or DOD.

Old 02-25-2018, 06:10 PM

266 posts, read 242,942 times
I'm not sure how far back we are counting, but in the last 5 years or so, I know of 3 different couples that moved to Florida

Another couple moved to CA

Single woman moved to SC, then to GA

A family of 10 (parents in 70's, grown children in 40's/spouses, and school aged children). In this case one parent has since moved back to CT as her husband passed away. She moved back to be near one of her daughters.

We moved to TN

I did not include anyone who transferred due to military relocation. There could have been others, but that is what I could think of offhand.

In all of these cases, they/we relocated and found jobs (or found jobs and relocated). They were not transferred.

Old 02-25-2018, 06:22 PM

1,924 posts, read 2,017,123 times
I'm in my mid 30s and can think of 12 individuals/families off the top of my head. They all moved for better employment opportunities. All are under 40.

Four are in the Charlotte area (working for 4 different employers). A couple are in NY, two went to Seattle, two to FL.

I know 3 who left for CA too but all 3 returned.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:56 PM

34,642 posts, read 56,411,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Interesting. Not one person I know has questioned whether it was worth it.
They saved only a couple thousand on state income taxes by doing six months and a day in a Florida. Spent much of that savings traveling back and forth during those six months so the savings overall is only a little more than a thousand dollars. They questioned missing so much of their family’s life to save a thousand dollars. Not worth it in my opinion. Jay

Old 02-25-2018, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
They saved only a couple thousand on state income taxes by doing six months and a day in a Florida. Spent much of that savings traveling back and forth during those six months so the savings overall is only a little more than a thousand dollars. They questioned missing so much of their family’s life to save a thousand dollars. Not worth it in my opinion. Jay
Actually travel can be economical. I used to do Nashville-Hartford under $300 r/t for years, still can get deals under $400 r/t. No baggage fees. Fort Lauderdale or Tampa, also Southwest cities, have cheap airfares.

I used to be able to get the Milford Hilton Garden Inn or Hyatt under $75/night w/ tax at Christmas via priceline. Its about $85 now, at that time, via deals. Slow business travel times = discounts for casual traveler.

A couple thousand annually is tens of thousands per decade, before compounding. Taxes are not negotiable, but travel costs can be managed to reduce expenditures.

Old 02-25-2018, 09:15 PM

1,678 posts, read 1,110,047 times
Is any other state so hated by its residents? Not a rhetorical question.

Old 02-25-2018, 09:20 PM

34,642 posts, read 56,411,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Actually travel can be economical. I used to do Nashville-Hartford under $300 r/t for years, still can get deals under $400 r/t. No baggage fees. Fort Lauderdale or Tampa, also Southwest cities, have cheap airfares.

I used to be able to get the Milford Hilton Garden Inn or Hyatt under $75/night w/ tax at Christmas via priceline. Its about $85 now, at that time, via deals. Slow business travel times = discounts for casual traveler.

A couple thousand annually is tens of thousands per decade, before compounding. Taxes are not negotiable, but travel costs can be managed to reduce expenditures.
Three airfares for two people times $300 equals $1,800. Add in the trip to the airport or parking for each trip and you can easy see it is not cheap. They have a home and a car here so they did not have that expense. I believe their Connecticut state tax was around $3,000. So they were not saving much. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut