U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2008, 11:09 AM

18 posts, read 93,425 times

Advertisements

My wife and I just toured Fairfield County and originally targeted Westport as our focus. However, after a short visit to Ridgefield we were quite impressed. Can someone describe the pros and cons of Ridgefield. It had a lovely Main Street, seemed to have great parks, and I believe the schools are highly rated. I will be working in Wilton so prefer to stay on that side of town (versus Danbury) to minimize my commute. I think we will rent first (which is difficult due to low rental stock) and then look to buy.

Please note, we still adore Westport but Ridgefield seems to be a great alternative at lower prices.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 11:18 AM

33,058 posts, read 52,326,022 times
Therozman - Ridgefield is a wonderful community and the schools are excellent. I would not hesitate to buy there. Renting can be difficult due to low inventory but not impossible. Good luck, Jay

Old 03-24-2008, 11:23 AM

11 posts, read 177,171 times
Ridgefield is wonderful. The town ammenities are amazing (check out the Park & Rec center!). The schools are fantastic. Main Street has become very busy on the weekends, but you can get around it by using back roads. I haved nothing negative to say about Ridgefield. The only downside from Westport is that Ridgefield is not on the water and there is no NYC train. The home prices are a little high. You can get more for your money with an almost equal Wilton commute if you look at Newtown or Bethel. Also great towns, just not as developed as Ridgefield. Wilton of course is very nice as well and you would have no commute. You can't go wrong in Fairfield County.

Old 03-24-2008, 02:28 PM

246 posts, read 840,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut34 View Post
Ridgefield is wonderful. The town ammenities are amazing (check out the Park & Rec center!). The schools are fantastic. Main Street has become very busy on the weekends, but you can get around it by using back roads. I haved nothing negative to say about Ridgefield. The only downside from Westport is that Ridgefield is not on the water and there is no NYC train. The home prices are a little high. You can get more for your money with an almost equal Wilton commute if you look at Newtown or Bethel. Also great towns, just not as developed as Ridgefield. Wilton of course is very nice as well and you would have no commute. You can't go wrong in Fairfield County.
I would have to disagree that Ridgefield is more developed than Bethel and most parts of Newtown. Ridgefield has some rural areas where it can take 15 minutes to get to a grocery store. The area that the OP is looking at (Branchville) is about 10 minutes from Wilton, Bethel is at least 20 minutes from Wilton and Newtown is about 35.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:36 AM

181 posts, read 882,473 times
I live in Wilton, on the Ridgefield border off of route 33. We do a lot of things in Ridgefield, and when we were in the market, we did bid in ridgefield but it didn't work out. I think it is a great town, with actually more offered in terms of parks and rec than Wilton. Schools are good, with the "hit" of school construction completed in the recent past, so the Schools are new with no anticipated budget battles over school construction. Great choice!

Old 03-27-2008, 07:43 AM

18 posts, read 93,425 times
Default Thanks

Thanks for all of the informative posts. One follow-up question about the train to NYC...is there parking reserved for Ridgefield residents at the Branchville station? I am curious what one does to train to the city.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:59 AM

371 posts, read 1,516,298 times
I know alot of people in Ridgefield take the Cross River train station (In Westchester) to NYC if you live near that train station.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:58 AM

2,583 posts, read 7,012,318 times
There a also a shuttle from just south of downtown Ridgefield to the Katonah, NY train station. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut