Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 06:20 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,493,841 times

Advertisements

I would not want my kids in school on a Saturday, takes away from family time if you ask me. However I would be ok with a slightly longer school day, maybe till 4pm. I also remember when my summer was June-Aug and now it seems like they barely get two months away. My opposition to 4 days is that my work week is not 4 days, unless you go to a compressed 4x10 schedule. Not something I'd want to do as I get WAH days already that allow me to take advantage of being home and getting little things done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2018, 06:47 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times
Think they should have 1 Saturday a month and have at least one legal guardian attend the class with them. Get the parents involved.

Shorter breaks and longer school hours keeps children busy and out of trouble.

Do away with common core and break up the monotony of just traditional classroom education. Maybe more field trips on days they are not in school. 2 hours classroom, 2 hours hands on education, 2 hours of physical activity/lunch, 2 hour's of classroom, and 2 hours of extracurricular activity/sport/volunteer work. Then next day come in the morning from 10 to 2 as a study period.

Old 03-28-2018, 07:06 AM

184 posts, read 106,391 times
I think what we got going here, 5 days a week, with the hours that they have are working perfectly fine. Currently two children, one in 4th grade, one in 5th grade. No need for anything longer then the current 9-3:30 that they run. Leaves time after school for other activities or even sometimes with nothing to do, which GASP, is OK! No structure for an hour or two before dinner and bed, if it does not kill them, will make them stronger!

Most of the states that are going down to 4 days are doing so because they have cut taxes so drastically that they cannot keep the doors open anymore. But they have their freedom from taxes!

Common core is fine. I may not always get how they are trying to teach the math, but my kids seem to get it, and they are doing things like word problems at a much earlier age then I did. As for the monotony of traditional classroom time, its perfect training for the monotony of working time when they are older.

And why do we always choose Saturday's as the weekend day to send kids to school, why not Sunday?

Old 03-28-2018, 12:31 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,686,936 times
No ... Children are not just tiny adults ... They're kids, and longer days would not be beneficial .. They need shorter days ..

Old 03-28-2018, 10:28 PM

143 posts, read 106,619 times
When mom and dad at work, who will watch their children? Maybe high schoolers?

Old 03-29-2018, 05:53 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Fewer snowdays? How do you figure. If a snowday lands on one of the 4 school days, wouldnt that mean they need to make up for it anyway?

More cost to the parent but if cost for school is less that can be squashed.

Old 03-29-2018, 10:31 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,829,691 times
I read the article which was very short on details, however they did not provide any examples of how the district would save money. Instead they said offering a 4 day work week was an attempt to attract and retain teachers (who have been going to other high paying districts.) Sounds like to me the solution is to pay teachers more not switching to 4 days.

I can't imagine this idea would save much money. Fixed assets like buildings don't magically become cheaper because they aren't being used. Perhaps they can turn down the thermostat, but that can't save much at all. Maybe they can save on busing ? Still I can't imagine that would be much savings at all.

Old 03-29-2018, 10:42 AM

14,045 posts, read 13,917,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Fewer snowdays? How do you figure. If a snowday lands on one of the 4 school days, wouldnt that mean they need to make up for it anyway?

More cost to the parent but if cost for school is less that can be squashed.
Most snow storms this year was on Monday and Wednesday same as last year

Old 03-29-2018, 11:42 AM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NUHuskies01 View Post

And why do we always choose Saturday's as the weekend day to send kids to school, why not Sunday?
Because we are an extremely Christian country, and as such it doing it Sunday probably wouldn't fly in at least half the states, and there would probably be too many lawsuits in the rest of them by people saying it interferes with church, etc. It might work in California and some of the Northeast (such as CT) where more of the Christian populace is less religious, and you have more Jews, Muslims, Hindus, athiests, etc.

Old 03-30-2018, 01:58 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,493,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Most snowstorms on Monday and Wednesday
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Most snow storms this year was on Monday and Wednesday same as last year

Yeah cause im sure thats a trend that will just continue forever....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut