Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2018, 05:43 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
I agree with Stylo, I am surprised how well Newtown is performing against Guilford. Guilford still has a comfortable lead, but still somewhat surprised on how many votes Newtown is getting.

In my opinion, Newtown is an overrated town on this forum. It does have good schools, but other than the schools, I rate it on par with most of the middle class rural-suburban towns in Tolland and Windham counties. I am exaggerating a bit by saying this and many people will disagree with me, and it definitely is upscale compared to the towns I am trying to compare it with, but seriously I don't see anything very special about the town, other than good schools.

However comparing it to Guilford, I don't understand. Guilford has amazing schools too, probably even better. I'd say that Guilford along with Litchfield are the two towns with the best rural green in the whole state. Also has a great coast, although the beaches there are not as special as a few other towns in the area, they are still nice beaches with good coastal feelings. Guilford also has many wildlife areas which makes a great town. One thing I will give them though is that Newtown might be closer to amenities. Although Guilford has quite a few shopping and food places, it might not be the best town if you are looking for extreme amenities, and if you want more than what the town has, you'll likely have to go a long way. Other than that the town is great, and is one of the best and most charming towns in the state. I'd say there are only 4 towns in CT that I would rate higher than Guilford, with one other town on par.
How many towns have a movie theater in their town hall? Newtown does. It also has that iconic flag pole in the middle of Main Street that gets hit every so often. And of course it was the site of the old abandoned Fairfield Hills Psychiatric Hospital.

What does Guilford have? A charming town green? A beach? A stunning Shoreline? An old stone house that is the oldest house in the state and the oldest stone home in North America? The third largest collection of historic homes in New England? Yeah, not much going for it. Jay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2018, 06:05 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Not Necessarily. Have you been to Southbury? I do feel it is another town that is slightly overrated on this forum, but it is a growing suburban town with a great feel to it. It is also right in the middle between Danbury and Waterbury (2 major cities in the state). Southbury is one of those towns where the feeling is like it is far from everything, but surprisingly it isn't and it is pretty close to major cities. In contrast Suffield is way up in the north and quite a distance from most major places in the state. In case you haven't been to Southbury, it is kind of like the Wilton of Northern New Haven County. Although it is not as nice as Wilton and not as upscale, the feeling is quite similar.
The feeling of Wilton is similar to Southbury?? I worked out of Southbury and lived less than 2 miles to the Wilton line. The two towns are more different than similar. Southbury’s downtown is way more spread out, has ~ 40% less people per square mile and 1/3 of Wilton’s household income.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
How many towns have a movie theater in their town hall? Newtown does. It also has that iconic flag pole in the middle of Main Street that gets hit every so often. And of course it was the site of the old abandoned Fairfield Hills Psychiatric Hospital.

What does Guilford have? A charming town green? A beach? A stunning Shoreline? An old stone house that is the oldest house in the state and the oldest stone home in North America? The third largest collection of historic homes in New England? Yeah, not much going for it. Jay.
I don’t see where anyone said Guilford doesn’t have much going for it. People are just saying Newtown can hold its own against Guilford. By the way, those old buildings at Fairfield Hills are being refurbished little by little and are becoming offices, etc. Their architecture is stunning. Get away from the few shoreline neighborhoods and the awe of the Guilford green and the northern two thirds of town have lots of pick-up trucks (and even some confederate flags - no joke). That’s the Guilford I’m also taking into account when I post about it.

Old 04-29-2018, 06:44 PM

2,184 posts, read 1,641,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post

LOL I had no idea about the movie theater. Well I don't care for that kind of stuff honestly. I was never really a fan of movies.

You have a point but for me, I don't care that much for historical sites.

Old 04-29-2018, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
The feeling of Wilton is similar to Southbury?? I worked out of Southbury and lived less than 2 miles to the Wilton line. The two towns are more different than similar. Southbury’s downtown is way more spread out, has ~ 40% less people per square mile and 1/3 of Wilton’s household income.
I already mentioned that the household income is much higher in Wilton, meaning Wilton is a more upscale town. I meant the feeling of the towns, not the incomes. The cost of living is barely comparable. They both have a somewhat rural-suburban feeling that is similar. In terms of a number of state parks as well as surrounded by a few lakes. And both of them also have a similar downtown (yes Southbury is more spread out), but there are main areas in both towns where you will find most of the amenities and shopping & food.

Old 04-29-2018, 06:52 PM

Deadline in 30 min. Make sure to get all those last minute votes in before the next round.

Old 04-29-2018, 06:55 PM

287 posts, read 623,649 times
Washington vs Litchfield

Guilford vs Newtown

Branford vs Oxford

Wilton vs Old Saybrook

Madison vs Stamford

Greenwich vs Fairfield

Westport vs Old Lyme

Farmington vs Stonington

New Haven vs Wallingford

Southbury vs Milford

Avon vs Glastonbury

Old 04-29-2018, 07:05 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
I already mentioned that the household income is much higher in Wilton, meaning Wilton is a more upscale town. I meant the feeling of the towns, not the incomes. The cost of living is barely comparable. They both have a somewhat rural-suburban feeling that is similar. In terms of a number of state parks as well as surrounded by a few lakes. And both of them also have a similar downtown (yes Southbury is more spread out), but there are main areas in both towns where you will find most of the amenities and shopping & food.
The feel of Southbury is nothing like Wilton. Maybe aesthetically, they can both be pleasing, but Wilton is way more [relatively] congested and busier than Southbury. That said, we can agree to disagree.

Old 04-29-2018, 07:32 PM

Deadline is Here. Round 4 is done. I'll be posting results within the next 15 minutes.

Old 04-29-2018, 07:36 PM

Round 4 Results

Washington 7-17 Litchfield

Guilford 16-9 Newtown

Branford 20-5 Oxford

Wilton 7-15 Old Saybrook

Madison 14-10 Stamford

Greenwich 10-14 Fairfield

Westport 13-12 Old Lyme

Farmington 11-12 Stonington

New Haven 17-8 Wallingford

Southbury 7-16 Milford

Avon 11-12 Glastonbury

So there we have it! No ties in Round 4. I hope all of enjoyed Round 4 fixtures. This round was already extremely tough and some huge forum favorite towns are out now: Newtown, Greenwich, Stamford, Old Lyme, Farmington, Avon, and Wallingford. Round 5 will be even tougher. I'll be having the procedures for Round 5 posted in the next 20 min.

Old 04-29-2018, 07:42 PM

9,758 posts, read 7,470,755 times
Surprised Farmington went out to Stonington. That's the shocker for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut