Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2008, 09:02 PM

12 posts, read 44,949 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are planning a mini road trip up through New England this summer and are planning to make one of our overnight stops around the NY/CT border. Any suggestions for what town to stop in? We're in our mid-twenties and would probably prefer a smaller, more laid-back kind of town with some interesting restaurants/sites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 12:39 AM

246 posts, read 873,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenelizabeth View Post
My boyfriend and I are planning a mini road trip up through New England this summer and are planning to make one of our overnight stops around the NY/CT border. Any suggestions for what town to stop in? We're in our mid-twenties and would probably prefer a smaller, more laid-back kind of town with some interesting restaurants/sites.
In Northwestern Connecticut, there are many small New England towns with a laid back attitude and perfect for taking in the beauty of nature. Sherman, Kent, Washington Depot etc. all offer much in the way of scenery. There are vineyards, apple orchards, farm stands (seasonal), etc. The Litchfield Hills also offer hiking, skiing in the winter and Kent Falls is a perfect place to picnic. There are many celebrities, writers and artists who hide away in the hills because of the proximity to New York. So close, yet so far.

There are not many chain hotels in the area, but there are plenty of B&Bs.

INN at Kent Falls | An Historic Bed and Breakfast Located in Kent Connecticut. Enjoy Hiking, Antiquing, Skiing, Biking and more.

The Cornucopia At Oldfield Bed & Breakfast - Southbury, Connecticut -

The Heritage Inn - New Milford, Connecticut

Ads for Lodging not permitted

If you're more into being around lots of people and experiencing the local scene, there are many B&Bs in lower Fairfield County. This area is very affluent and lacks the laid back attitude that you seek, so you may be better off with the Litchfield Hills.

Connecticut Wine Trail - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Look at the Western Trail because that is where you will be. The White Silo Winery is very nice. If you end up visiting Sherman, be sure to visit American Pie restaurant. Excellent American food with everything from wraps to burgers to eggs Benedict. You're likely to dine with locals rather than out of towners, which also makes it nice.

If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask and I will do my best to help.

Last edited by skytrekker; 03-26-2008 at 05:17 AM.. Reason: ads for lodging not permitted

Old 03-26-2008, 07:42 AM

12 posts, read 44,949 times
Thanks! I got your links in the email send for subscriptions to the thread...I didn't really think they were "ads for lodging" but I guess that's why they were removed.

The Inn at Kent Falls looks BEAUTIFUL! A little out of our price range, but you never know. I definitely will do some more looking into the Kent area; that sounds like a great place to stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut