Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 07:09 PM

16 posts, read 21,701 times

Advertisements

We are out of staters looking to move to CT. So after 5 months of searching for a home in surrounding towns near Danbury, we finally liked a place enough to make an offer. (we are picky) We had our offer accepted and just got the inspection done. During the inspection, everything passed with flying colors except when we got to the attic where the inspector noticed that the house was modular built. I was totally surprised by this because the listing did not say the home was modular built. And the house was indistinguishable from stick built even to a seasoned home inspector until he examined the attic. There was another property previously that we liked that we stopped pursuing because it was modular built. We are looking for recently (preferably post 2000) built homes in the area and seems like the ones we really like are modular homes. I did some cursory research into modular homes and understand that the stigma attached to modular homes are often unwarranted (modular homes can be better built than stick homes, more energy efficient, and definitely not cheap). In our case, the house is in tip top shape at the young age of 12yrs. It was built by Westchester Modular homes which appears to have a good enough reputation and my inspector mentioned that they are good builders. Now my question is this. How prevalent are modular homes in the surrounding towns of Danbury (built - post 2000). I tried to search listings online for this criteria but I was unable to do so since seemingly the listing does not have to disclose the fact that it was modular built.

More importantly, will being modular built negatively affect the house's resale value?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2018, 07:22 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,839,413 times
Modular homes are not popular in CT. That doesn't mean they can't be well built though.

Old 04-23-2018, 07:30 PM

34,948 posts, read 56,989,667 times
Just like you, many people are turned off by the term modular homes. They are perceived to be of poor quality which is often not true. I have seen some pretty nice very upscale homes that were modular. Westchester is considered one of the better modular home builders. I would not hesitate to buy one but others may. It is your choice whether to move forward. Jay

Old 04-23-2018, 07:46 PM

16 posts, read 21,701 times
JayCT,

You would buy a modular home if it is priced similarly as stick built homes? After finding out that it's modular, I feel like I should renegotiate the price to reflect the potential difficulty selling it should I decided to move forward.

Old 04-23-2018, 08:17 PM

2,636 posts, read 7,435,786 times
Modular homes are fairly rare, but often built to the same if not higher standards as traditional on the spot built homes. If the house passed inspection, I won't go back wanting any price question. Inventory is still very low in the Greater Danbury area across most price ranges,especially under about $400,000 for a single family home.

Old 04-23-2018, 08:46 PM

6,590 posts, read 4,984,771 times
East of the river, but I have a friend with one. He loves it and would buy one again.

Old 04-23-2018, 08:48 PM

1,930 posts, read 2,042,126 times
Westchester Modular homes are definitely not outside the norm in Danbury proper or New Milford -- the factory is very close by, and the company is generally well regarded here. I looked at one about 10 years ago and the build quality seemed solid - ended up not moving forward with it for other reasons, but didn't view the modular aspect as a downside.

Old 04-24-2018, 04:22 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,384,455 times
Think about it.....that puppy could withstand moving down CT highways and Interstates at 60 mph !....gotta be well built

Old 04-24-2018, 06:04 AM

539 posts, read 332,184 times
Why are modular homes looked down upon? I've always thought it is a very efficient method of building a home with a high quality structure. I wouldn't give it a second thought, and if I were to build a home I'd definitely go modular over stick.

Old 04-24-2018, 07:20 AM

34,948 posts, read 56,989,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchem View Post
Why are modular homes looked down upon? I've always thought it is a very efficient method of building a home with a high quality structure. I wouldn't give it a second thought, and if I were to build a home I'd definitely go modular over stick.
Primarily because years ago they were built cheaply and had issues after several years. That has changed for some but there are still some very cheap versions so people have not changed their opinions. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut