Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 08:07 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,833,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Not sure what you mean when saying Wallingford has shopping that is more “spread out”. North Haven has Universal Drive, which is a major shopping destination for the entire area. All stores are right there so you can run all your errands at once instead of driving from one area to another. I lived in Branford and we always went to North Haven to shop - never to Wallingford because it doesn’t have nearly as much in the way of big box shopping.
It would probably be more accurate to say Wallingfords shopping bleeds into Meriden. EVery big box store you could want is in Wallingford and/or Meriden.

North Haven's shopping is more compact, I do not like that since compact usually equals more traffic in and out of the area. I like to be a ninja when shopping - in and out before anyone notices. I will avoid areas with excessive traffic on purpose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 08:26 PM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
It would probably be more accurate to say Wallingfords shopping bleeds into Meriden. EVery big box store you could want is in Wallingford and/or Meriden.

North Haven's shopping is more compact, I do not like that since compact usually equals more traffic in and out of the area. I like to be a ninja when shopping - in and out before anyone notices. I will avoid areas with excessive traffic on purpose.
I see what you mean. I prefer convenience with some traffic over having to drive 6-7 minutes from store to store. Although Meriden shopping areas are not traffic free!

Old 05-02-2018, 07:07 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,496,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Both towns are really similar IMO, I would give the edge to Wallingford because it has shopping that is more spread out, new CT Rail station, and town electric. Although I don't know the parking situation for the new train station.

I think North Haven is supposed to get a new train station too, but don't know when.
The station in Wallingford is really nice. They have parking on both sides probably about 50 or so spots each. So not a huge lot but I think it will correlate with the traffic flow well. Plus there is plenty of on street parking nearby if need be. I'm waiting to see the rates because that may be our new transport to the Big E if service is pretty seemless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I see what you mean. I prefer convenience with some traffic over having to drive 6-7 minutes from store to store. Although Meriden shopping areas are not traffic free!
I was going to chime in on the Universal drive shopping piece. It has always been a go-to destination for shoppers but the in/outs at either end can quickly become clogged. I'm surprised they have not tried to revamp that whole entrance/exit piece from 91, seems like a great place for a traffic circle. I tend to avoid it because for all the shops along Rte. 5 in Wallingford the traffic is never really that bad and does flow pretty good.

Old 05-02-2018, 09:27 AM

21,751 posts, read 28,077,952 times
When I hear people say any towns north of the Norwalk area are congested, I find it amusing. Having worked in that area for so long and experiencing a truly crazy Route 1, points north are easy going in comparison. If "traffic" is a just few slow lights (which is often the case in my town, and only by the mall/Costco), I'll take it.

Go to Paramus on a weekend and then you'll see what retail traffic is.

Old 07-11-2018, 10:29 AM

837 posts, read 2,082,917 times
My wife and I are leaning towards Wallingford; it has the closest vibe to that of the Milford/Orange area while still being reasonably priced.

The one caution that I did find has to do with Bristol-Myers Squibb. According to CERC data, they are by far Wallingford's top tax payer but they're closing the Wallingford site at the end of this year. Is there any indication on how significant this will impact the town's very reasonable tax base?

Grand List Top Five Wallingford
Bristol-Myers Squibb Co: $96,515,090
Cellco Partnership: $28,420,950
Yankee Gas Co: $24,221,070
Leigus TEI Equitis LLC: $24,196,300
Masonicare Health Center: $21,294,860

Grand List Top Five North Haven
Covidien: $45,739,395
North Haven Ind LLC: $26,772,491
August America: $21,730,355
United Illuminating Company: $21,401,565
Price Reit Inc.: $20,343,594

Old 07-11-2018, 11:13 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Bristol-Myers Squibb leaving Wallingford will likely have minimal impact on taxes there. The building is not leaving, just the company (actually only a part of it) so the amount of tax loss to the town is minimal (taxes on equipment, vehicles, etc.). From what I hear, there is a lot of interest in that building because it contains good lab space which is in short supply in our state. I would be surprised if it remained vacant for very long after they fully vacate it. Then again these big companies sometimes will just sit on assets because they are too cumbersome to deal with them even though a big part of the financial plan for this move has to do with selling off the property. Jay

Old 07-11-2018, 11:55 AM

Don't forget Anthem HQ is also in Wallingford and there has been a rebirth of some industrial companies in town as well. Keep your eye on Rte 5 as it becomes more developed and plazas start to invest and cleanup some of their shoddy parking lot/appearances.

Old 07-11-2018, 01:38 PM

845 posts, read 680,304 times
I too am looking at purchasing in Wallingford. I decide to choose it because of ease of access to my job (in Wallingford) exceptional mill rate, good schools, Wallingford Electric, and general safety of the area. I have yet to hear of a bad part of this town. I've heard from some people in North Haven that the area near New Haven is hit or miss.

Edit: Actually, does anyone on here know any areas of Wallingford to avoid? Curious to hear other opinions and might help OP as well.

Last edited by ads94; 07-11-2018 at 02:03 PM..

Old 07-11-2018, 03:22 PM

21,751 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ads94 View Post
I've heard from some people in North Haven that the area near New Haven is hit or miss.
Nah. Those are fine areas.

Old 07-12-2018, 01:49 AM

Yeah the are in North Haven down near Exit 8 on 91 isn’t fantastic but by no means a place I wouldn’t drive through or be comfortable in. Same for Wallingford as there are no real bad areas just ones that may have more curb appeal than others.

We live near the North Haven line in Wallingford that is a nice quiet area, Yalesville is nice but somewhat isolated from downtown if you want to be in a more active section of town. Also up by Cheshire is quiet with nice neighborhoods, same out by Durham. If you like close not small street feel then downtown by the library can be your place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut