Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 10:40 PM

21,765 posts, read 28,094,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
Stamford has passed New Haven and most likely will stay that way.
Not yet, officially.

New Haven’s growing transient population doesn’t help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 07:43 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,723,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtohartfordct View Post
Do you really believe people would leave a state because illegals are attending college lol. Are they like “ F this, I’m out, illegals are trying to get a degree”?

West Virginia is losing population at twice the rate, there’s probably little to no illegals, and low taxes. GE left for Boston. Which probably has more illegals in college and also has employee pensions.

I’m a millennial and setting up shop for good in CT. I’m from the Midwest and can’t imagine ever going back. It is truely horrible.
If you don't mind my asking, what is it about the Northeast that makes it so enticing to an outsider, and why is the Midwest so horrible? I'm sincerely asking, I don't mean this out of sarcasm.

As for population trends, the idea of my town reaching 72,000 people is unlikely. The town's population peaked at 68,000 in 1970 and then dropped to 61,000 by the end of the decade, and has been slowly inching up since then. Today it stands at just over a population of 63,000. I can't see it growing much more than that. There isn't the land for it, and the town (fortunately) has very stern guidelines on how or what you can build and strictly enforces building height restrictions.

Old 05-08-2018, 08:47 AM

1,888 posts, read 1,185,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Are you assume they don’t? Jay
Yes many dont. They work under the table, or perhaps they use someoone elses SS #. They then claim to have 5 kids regardless if accurate to get deductions.
Many of them take advantage of our social programs.
They do tend to work hard, and send money back home.

Do i blame them for doing this? No.

So enticing more illegals to come here by offering them more aid, when the typical thread talks about all the issues Ct faces with its budget. Residents fleeing the state, so we can take in more people who are not helping the situation.

The first clue i had as to why i suspect they dont pay taxes.
They are here illegally.

Jay, you asked. I was hesitant to reply. You often it seems "close" these threads when it goes in this direction.

Old 05-08-2018, 08:51 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,942,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
If you don't mind my asking, what is it about the Northeast that makes it so enticing to an outsider, and why is the Midwest so horrible? I'm sincerely asking, I don't mean this out of sarcasm.

As for population trends, the idea of my town reaching 72,000 people is unlikely. The town's population peaked at 68,000 in 1970 and then dropped to 61,000 by the end of the decade, and has been slowly inching up since then. Today it stands at just over a population of 63,000. I can't see it growing much more than that. There isn't the land for it, and the town (fortunately) has very stern guidelines on how or what you can build and strictly enforces building height restrictions.
Midwest have Chicago which is NYC of Midwest and Minneapolis kind like Boston of Midwest

Old 05-08-2018, 09:02 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,723,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Midwest have Chicago which is NYC of Midwest and Minneapolis kind like Boston of Midwest
I don't know what that means or how that relates to what's being discussed here, but whatever.

Old 05-08-2018, 09:06 AM

Quote:
I don't know what that means or how that relates to what's being discussed here, but whatever.
The person who move from Midwest to CT

Old 05-08-2018, 09:59 AM

83,526 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Longer colder snowier winters is the reason for the drop. People will get tired of winter in March and April. lol

Old 05-08-2018, 11:45 AM

331 posts, read 208,056 times
Quote:

I lived in Indiana. Where do I start. So the opioid epidemic has hit all of the Midwest hard. There is little to no funding to fight the crisis on the mass scale it is, from education on drugs to rehab, Indiana is like meh. It just gets worse and nothing changes. There are highway potholes everywhere, some that take years to get serviced. I don’t know anyone who has never blown a tire, because of them. The state will NOT reimburse for the damage as a result (Illinois does). During snow storms, they don’t salt the highways until last minute, to save money. They are incredibly dangerous. Indiana has some of the deadliest highways (I believe 1 is ranked number 12) in the country, because they don’t service them. Every winter, cars roll off the road, some die.

I grew up in an upper middle class area. I had no idea that schools supplied pencils and crayons. In Indiana all parents get lists on what to buy for their kids and classroom. My sister in law and aunt are teachers in other parts of the state, they buy their own supplies. My sister in law is a teacher in a wealthy area. They have a part time art program and no music program. Special needs programs are a joke.

People here can complain about the working poor not paying their fair share, but in Indiana there’s a flat tax. Everyone pays something. Wages are low. Indiana ranks top 3 worst quality of life. Everyone smokes and no one seems happy. They rank low in healthcare. The air is bad.

The positives on why I decided to stay here are the roads during the winter and schools. It kind of makes me laugh when people here complain. All things considered, CT is a high earning state with a lot of potential. People here are educated. Try living in Ketucky or Indiana for a while, your appreciation will skyrocket.

Old 05-08-2018, 11:56 AM

331 posts, read 208,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
The person who move from Midwest to CT
I have been to Los Angeles, NYC, Boston, San Diego, Philadelphia and many other major cities. Chicago is nice. I mean, sure the south side has it’s dangerous parts, but the issues don’t bleed out into the nicer areas. People are very friendly too. It has some of the best restaurants, the Cubs and Bears stadiums, awesome museums and university of Chicago (a top university in the country).

It’s also less crowded and cleaner than say NYC or philly.

Old 05-08-2018, 12:16 PM

Based on trends, construction of units, crazy data

My predictions for 2020 census

1. Bridgeport 152,100----cheapest town in Fairfield County and on train line there was some 2500 units of apartments in recent years
2. Stamford 137,080----The city that works will see population boom
3. New Haven 136,200---The city will see some gains in population
4. Hartford 126,800---Hartford will make population comeback but it will be small
5. Waterbury 110,075----It will get small gain due to cheapest rental prices in state
6. Norwalk 90,020---It will grow steady
7. Danbury 86, 400---It will grown steady
8. New Britain 73,000--Rarley any changes
9. Bristol 60,600
10. Meriden 60,800
11. Milford 54900---Population will grow by couple hundreds

New London 27k, Norwich 40k, Ansonia 19k, Derby 13k, Shelton 42k, Torrington 36k

CT will see some population gains in shoreline town from New Haven to Greenwich, The Valley, Hartford, New London will see no change to little gains. Population of CT will be the same growth of less than 1%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut