Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 06:06 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,202,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Saying all new construction goes on the MLS is just not true.

As I said before. My unit was Baker Residential and none were on MLS before being built. I found out about it by driving by. The development nearby here are SFH and only the first unit went on.
You’re missing the point. See my middle paragraph after my edit. I’ll rephrase.

For new construction communities, which are very large in south FL, you’ll have up to a dozen or dozens of plans that are entered into the MLS. Multiply that by number of new construction communities being erected and that’s a massive amount of homes, each with a specific MLS number, being added into DOM. Some phases of communities aren’t completed for many years. An entire community can take a decade to complete. That’s what I’m referring to when I say all new construction is entered into MLS.

For new construction HOMES in the wealthy towns Jay brought up, most are massive mansions with an MLS number. Photos are often an artist’s rendering or a photo of concrete slabs. Under them usually says “to be completed in 2018/2019” with DOM already at 200+, because it’s taking so long to construct due to the size of the home.

So because the real estate market in FL is far different than CT, it’s apples and oranges to compare DOM. Period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2018, 06:46 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post

For new construction communities, which are very large in south FL, you’ll have up to a dozen or dozens of plans that are entered into the MLS. Multiply that by number of new construction communities being erected and that’s a massive amount of homes, each with a specific MLS number, being added into DOM. Some phases of communities aren’t completed for many years. An entire community can take a decade to complete. That’s what I’m referring to when I say all new construction is entered into MLS.

For new construction HOMES in the wealthy towns Jay brought up, most are massive mansions with an MLS number. Photos are often an artist’s rendering or a photo of concrete slabs. Under them usually says “to be completed in 2018/2019” with DOM already at 200+, because it’s taking so long to construct due to the size of the home.

So because the real estate market in FL is far different than CT, it’s apples and oranges to compare DOM. Period.
Please post back up proving this. Jay

Old 10-03-2018, 07:04 PM

Quote:

If you look at the links I posted, you will see Jupter is rated “a Cool” by Zillow. Coral Gables is listed as “Cold”. If new construction was what makes the days on market so long, I doubt the ratings would be that. Jay

Old 10-04-2018, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Please post back up proving this. Jay
I really do not know what this means. I’ve provided you with information that is largely both common sense and common knowledge.

Quote:
If you look at the links I posted, you will see Jupter is rated “a Cool” by Zillow. Coral Gables is listed as “Cold”. If new construction was what makes the days on market so long, I doubt the ratings would be that. Jay
Sorry but there is far more going on in south FL than anywhere in CT. It’s also common knowledge in places with a ton of construction, there is an oversupply. See https://blog.managecasa.com/buying-in-south-florida/. If you’re trying to tell me south FL isn’t booming economically, you’re wrong.

Now can we get back to discussing the market in CT?

Last edited by kidyankee764; 10-04-2018 at 02:22 AM..

Old 10-04-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
I really do not know what this means. I’ve provided you with information that is largely both common sense and common knowledge.

Sorry but there is far more going on in south FL than anywhere in CT. It’s also common knowledge in places with a ton of construction, there is an oversupply. See https://blog.managecasa.com/buying-in-south-florida/. If you’re trying to tell me south FL isn’t booming economically, you’re wrong.

Now can we get back to discussing the market in CT?
What I am saying is that the oversupply has created a down housing market there but some people here have pointed to south Florida as this wonderful place to move and buy a home while Connecticut is not. You questioned whether Milford was a sellers market based on the number of days homes sold were on the market. Connecticut does not have an abundance of developable land anymore so we do not have the amount of new construction they do. We also do not experience the wide swings in the housing market they do either. It is opinion which of these situations is best. To me I would rather have a more steady economy that does not experience these swings than theirs. Jay

Old 10-04-2018, 12:45 PM

377 posts, read 241,101 times
Previous to the 2016 election , there weren't many , if any houses flipped in my specific area. I have been in the neighborhood for over 30 years. Since the 2016 election, there have been at least a half dozen houses flipped within walking distance of my house.

Regarding South Florida, I had a relative from that area ( Boca ) stay at my home during part of the summer. She had been here around 10 years ago to visit. We walked the neighborhood and the immediate area for a few hours. She was very impressed with the look and feel of North Central CT , especially along the scenic CT river. She used words like quaint, historical. Also how quiet it is.

She also thought the amount of open space for recreation at the schools and parks was superior to where she lives. When I mentioned that I had never seen so many small animals this year ( Woodchucks, Rabbits, Possum, Skunks, Raccoons , Chipmunks etc ) just in my backyard, she laughed and said consider yourself lucky.

Why ? I asked her. She said because it isn't costing you a lot of money and iguanas are not climbing all over your home, eating cables , causing power outages and leaving a mess behind. It is quite a problem down there.

Old 10-04-2018, 02:05 PM

Quote:
What I am saying is that the oversupply has created a down housing market there but some people here have pointed to south Florida as this wonderful place to move and buy a home while Connecticut is not. You questioned whether Milford was a sellers market based on the number of days homes sold were on the market. Connecticut does not have an abundance of developable land anymore so we do not have the amount of new construction they do. We also do not experience the wide swings in the housing market they do either. It is opinion which of these situations is best. To me I would rather have a more steady economy that does not experience these swings than theirs. Jay
I don’t believe I pointed to south Florida as being anything in this thread. It was brought up by you.

Re: oversupply, it doesn’t mean it’s a “down housing market”. It means there’s an abundance of places to choose from. The DOM is not that significantly different, especially seeing there’s a logical reason for it (new construction MLS listings). And guess what? People are buying them.

And if you reference the previous thread which drove your Florida comment, you’ll see that my initial post solely stated that property taxes were lower there while home prices are just as high. As usual, I was challenged because some want people here to think CT is utopia.

Anyway, I likely wouldn’t live in FL full time, but I’d rather have a booming economy over one of the worst performing economies in one of the most in the red states in the country. Clearly, the vast majority of people agree with me.

Old 10-04-2018, 02:29 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,456,026 times
CT has some housing issues that could easily be solved with some zoning changes but unlike pro growth states we want to have our cake (keeping every neighbor hood like it is) and eat it too (have economic growth).

Old 10-08-2018, 03:58 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,945,890 times
A great way to compare demand from one market to another is to use redfin and check out the number of views. This house in Milford has 82 views in 69 days while this house in suburban Atlanta has 304 in the same number of days.

Old 10-08-2018, 04:22 PM

464 posts, read 312,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
A great way to compare demand from one market to another is to use redfin and check out the number of views. [URL="https://www.redfin.com/CT/Milford/35-Carrington-Ave-06460/home/53925332"]This house [/URL]in Milford has 82 views in 69 days while [URL="https://www.redfin.com/GA/Roswell/4010-Bellingrath-Blvd-30076/home/24598683"]this house[/URL] in suburban Atlanta has 304 in the same number of days.
I respectfully disagree that this proves anything. The population in Atlanta is much higher than in and around Milford. Since most clicks on real estate come in the first week of a listing, I would expect ATL area listings to have more total views than most listing in CT based on population alone. The more relevant comparison would be percentage of people that clicked on a given home and compare (example 1000 people ran the search and 100 clicked, that’s a 10%). Even that doesn’t mean anything but at least it would be more apples to apples.

By your logic the housing market in VT is terrible because the population is so small the views are all low compared to big cities. However, individual towns in VT could be flourishing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut