Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you like 'For Sale' signs to be banned in your town?
Yes 8 17.78%
No 26 57.78%
Indifferent 11 24.44%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 09:35 PM

10,058 posts, read 14,929,390 times

Advertisements

Until now I never gave 'For Sale' signs much thought. In fact, I sort of consider them as part of the urban/suburban landscape, especially in residential areas. Never felt they 'took away' from the beauty or charm of a neighborhood.

Apparently, in New Canaan they think differently.

Quote:
A six-month trial banning real estate signs in front of houses for sale, instituted by the local realtor organizations New Canaan Board of Realtors and the New Canaan Multiple Listing Service, will begin July 1 and conclude Jan. 1, 2019.

The reason for the ban is because people shop for homes online and the town looks better without them, Janis Hennessey, the New Canaan Board of Realtors president, seemed to say.

“This is about the beautification of New Canaan and that people do not buy homes from the (‘for sale’) signs anymore,” Hennessey said. “People interested in homes have access to HomeSnap and Zillow.”
Quote:
First Selectman Kevin Moynihan lauded the effort.

“Many realtors and residents feel that the signs are unattractive and are unnecessary to promote the sales of homes,” Moynihan wrote via email Tuesday.

Like Hennessey, he referenced Greenwich as an example of a town that had done away with their “for sale” signs on residential properties in Chapter 6 Division 16 of their Municipal Code.

“Other area towns have already done away with signs and I suspect we will find that the absence of signs will work well in New Canaan too,” Moynihan said.
New Canaan experiments with banning real estate signs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2018, 09:50 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
My initial reaction is that’s pretty elitist.

Old 06-05-2018, 11:11 PM

720 posts, read 919,214 times
How pathetic!

Old 06-05-2018, 11:30 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Elitist or not, in the days of online home shopping (Zillow/Realtr.com), there’s really no need for signs anymore.

Old 06-05-2018, 11:45 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
It's stupid. We all know that people shop online for houses. But that doesn't mean that people out riding around wouldn't notice a for sale sign. One does not preclude the other.

And, if I lived in a neighborhood, I'd like to know if a house was for sale. I wouldn't be looking online but I'd still like to know. I might want to tell an interested friend that the house a few streets over from me is for sale--and anyway, I'd just like to know. A for sale sign is perfectly appropriate.

(Now, political signs, those are different. I think they are an eyesore.)

Old 06-05-2018, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
It's stupid. We all know that people shop online for houses. But that doesn't mean that people out riding around wouldn't notice a for sale sign. One does not preclude the other.

And, if I lived in a neighborhood, I'd like to know if a house was for sale. I wouldn't be looking online but I'd still like to know. I might want to tell an interested friend that the house a few streets over from me is for sale--and anyway, I'd just like to know. A for sale sign is perfectly appropriate.

(Now, political signs, those are different. I think they are an eyesore.)
I don’t think signs are inappropriate - I just don’t see them generating a lot of showings. I’d bet close to 100% of interested buyers find their homes online.

Old 06-06-2018, 05:08 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Until now I never gave 'For Sale' signs much thought. In fact, I sort of consider them as part of the urban/suburban landscape, especially in residential areas. Never felt they 'took away' from the beauty or charm of a neighborhood.

Apparently, in New Canaan they think differently.

New Canaan experiments with banning real estate signs
Have you guys realized in New Canaan they haven't allowed For Sale signs to represent who is selling the home?

It simply just says "For Sale By Broker" with the phone number.

So looks like now they don't even want a sign up.

People don't drive on every road in every town looking for homes so I think signs are pointless. You don't just show up to someone's home that's for sale. You make an appointment, right? You get that appointment because either you're working with a realtor or you saw the home online.

Get rid of them and political signs. Make Landscapes Great Again.

Plus your nosey neighbors wont know your selling or how long its taking for you to sell. lol

Old 06-06-2018, 05:25 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,228,605 times
I was just going to say the same thing Cam said. When I worked in New Canaan in the late 1990s, even then they weren’t allowed to put up the typical For Sale sign, advertising the real estate agency who had the listing — they were all the same white sign with black lettering that read “For Sale by Broker”

I know many condo developments prohibit for sale signs, but that would be spelled out in the HOA by-Laws. I do t know how I feel about it for private homeowners not affiliated with any association. They never bothered me personally I guess

Old 06-06-2018, 06:09 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Elitist or not, in the days of online home shopping (Zillow/Realtr.com), there’s really no need for signs anymore.
I noticed the house I’m buying from a sign...

Old 06-06-2018, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I noticed the house I’m buying from a sign...
You’re definitely in the minority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut