Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 04:19 AM

1,572 posts, read 1,560,859 times

Advertisements

No New Britain for that list? With 13.9 square miles and about 72,000 people, something happens almost every day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2018, 05:46 AM

4,454 posts, read 3,348,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVIN_224 View Post
No New Britain for that list? With 13.9 square miles and about 72,000 people, something happens almost every day!
As of 2016 the crime rate in New Britain is 269 (CD info). The average in the US is 280. NB looks Pretty Good.

Old 06-15-2018, 06:47 AM

I thought the first list in the original post might be heavily weighted with the fact that financially it is hard to live in New Haven and Hartford and not crime but unfortunately I found this.
Moderator cut: Link removed, competitor site

2016 FBI top 100 cities for violent crime.

#92 New Haven CT
#57 Hartford

At least they drop out of the top 50. Bridgeport is not on this list either. Again that perception problem.

It will be interesting to see what the FBI list of violent crime will be for 2017. They will come out with that in a few months. I'm hoping New Haven stats drop for the better as I want to move a few towns away.

Last edited by CavalierKing; 06-20-2018 at 07:10 AM..

Old 06-15-2018, 07:05 AM

21,751 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Violent crime in is 312% higher in New Haven than the state average. It’s 125% higher in Waterbury. Chance of being a victim of a violent crime in New Haven is 1 in 107; in Waterbury, it’s almost half at 1 in 198.

I stand by my statement that Waterbury doesn’t have nearly the violent crime rate of New Haven, Bridgeport and Hartford.
Whatever. Which city would you rather live in? Which city has rampant development and rising rents?

That’s why these lists are stupid. New Haven is only the “worst” city to live in if you’re in the worst neighborhoods. Which is true of many cities.

Old 06-15-2018, 07:14 AM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Whatever. Which city would you rather live in? Which city has rampant development and rising rents?

That’s why these lists are stupid. New Haven is only the “worst” city to live in if you’re in the worst neighborhoods. Which is true of many cities.
I’m just giving statistics. It is what it is.

Old 06-15-2018, 07:46 AM

Quote:
I’m just giving statistics. It is what it is.
I know. You didn’t write the list. But it’s clickbait from a clickbait site.

Old 06-15-2018, 08:44 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
I thought the first list in the original post might be heavily weighted with the fact that financially it is hard to live in New Haven and Hartford and not crime but unfortunately I found this.
Moderator cut: Link removed, competitor site

2016 FBI top 100 cities for violent crime.

#92 New Haven CT
#57 Hartford

At least they drop out of the top 50. Bridgeport is not on this list either. Again that perception problem.

It will be interesting to see what the FBI list of violent crime will be for 2017. They will come out with that in a few months. I'm hoping New Haven stats drop for the better as I want to move a few towns away.
The problem I have with these statistics is that they do not take into account that cities in Connecticut are relatively small in area and usually only represent the dense urban core of a metropolitan area. Hartford is only 17 square miles so unlike larger cities out west and down south, its crime statistics are skewed higher or should I say other larger cities are skewed lower because they include more suburban areas within their city limits. We do not have the ability to do that. Jay

Last edited by CavalierKing; 06-20-2018 at 07:10 AM..

Old 06-15-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
The problem I have with these statistics is that they do not take into account that cities in Connecticut are relatively small in area and usually only represent the dense urban core of a metropolitan area. Hartford is only 17 square miles so unlike larger cities out west and down south, its crime statistics are skewed higher or should I say other larger cities are skewed lower because they include more suburban areas within their city limits. We do not have the ability to do that. Jay
You are kind of saying that the entire premise of this City-Data website (giving statistics on towns/cities) is irrelevant. I can tell you as a person who is considering moving near New Haven (and not even in it) IT IS VERY RELEVANT. I am sure it is VERY RELEVANT for people who are considering moving to cities of the same size or any town/city

And the statistics I put up in the second website are crime stats are from the FBI....FBI crime stats are not click bait.

Not only are the crime stats on this site and others relevant to me and my retirement town search....THEY ARE CRITICAL. I would like to thank this site, the FBI and others who have and manage these informational sites. It gives me peace of mind in my town search.

You know me, I am one of the biggest fans of CT on this forum but we should not sugar coat what is going on in a lot of these cities.

Old 06-15-2018, 11:41 AM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
You are kind of saying that the entire premise of this City-Data website (giving statistics on towns/cities) is irrelevant. I can tell you as a person who is considering moving near New Haven (and not even in it) IT IS VERY RELEVANT. I am sure it is VERY RELEVANT for people who are considering moving to cities of the same size or any town/city

And the statistics I put up in the second website are crime stats are from the FBI....FBI crime stats are not click bait.

Not only are the crime stats on this site and others relevant to me and my retirement town search....THEY ARE CRITICAL. I would like to thank this site, the FBI and others who have and manage these informational sites. It gives me peace of mind in my town search.

You know me, I am one of the biggest fans of CT on this forum but we should not sugar coat what is going on in a lot of these cities.
I get what Jay is saying and I get what you’re saying.

Jay is saying due to the small square mileage of our cities and the relatively large land area of other cities in the country, cities in the northeast are at a disadvantage. I agree with that to an extent.

You’re saying these lists are a good tool for CT relocation purposes. You do have a point. It tells people where to avoid of they want low crime [and good schools]. Land area means nothing to those moving here.

So, you both make good points.

Old 06-15-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
I get what Jay is saying and I get what you’re saying.

Jay is saying due to the small square mileage of our cities and the relatively large land area of other cities in the country, cities in the northeast are at a disadvantage. I agree with that to an extent.

You’re saying these lists are a good tool for CT relocation purposes. You do have a point. It tells people where to avoid of they want low crime [and good schools]. Land area means nothing to those moving here.

So, you both make good points.
Exactly. The point is data is both complex and useful, all at once.

For someone moving into the area near New Haven, you can take solice that the majority of crime (and vast majority of violent crime) in that city is relegated to areas you’d have no reason to go. I can say from 2008 to now, downtown feels wayyy safer at night. I worked there for 3 years and neither myself nor any of my colleagues (in a decent sized company) were ever the victim of a crime. And that includes coworkers that lived in the city.

Now if you talked to someone that lives in an impoverished neighborhood, you’re going to get a VERY different story.

Data isn’t absolute, and affects different areas and demographics in a city differently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut