Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2008, 02:16 PM

104 posts, read 387,755 times

Advertisements

I'd like to buy a small house near Yale and was wondering if that area is safe and if I would be able to find something with a small yard for my dogs.

Thanks in advance for all replies.

Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2008, 03:48 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,629,547 times
I lived in New Haven for 5 years, and now I live in an town outside the city, so I can help. Could you clarify: which part of Yale do you want to be near, how close do you want to be, and what is your price range? There are plenty of safe places, but some of them are more expensive than others. The region on either side of Orange Street is a pretty nice area, and most houses do have small yards. A lot of graduate students and postdoctoral fellows live there. I would start my driving/walking tour at the corner of Orange and Cold Spring Street.

The priciest neighborhoods are along the Whitney Avenue corridor, especially the area near St. Ronan Street/Edgehill Road and the areas near East Rock Park (Everit Street, e.g.).

If you don't need to be within walking distance of Yale, check out the Beaver Hills neighborhood (e.g., Colony Rd.). That is a more affordable area, with nice houses, on the other side of town. You would need to drive to get to/from Yale -- and parking at Yale can be a headache.

Again, I could be more helpful if I knew how close you want to be to which part of campus, and for what price.

Old 03-30-2008, 06:53 AM

Thanks Nico7. I am moving back to CT from rural Maine and am craving culture!!! I thought an area around Yale would be nice as I could walk to museums, shops, restuarants, theater, etc. I also have two Greyhounds and I want to be able to take them for walks. My budget is on the low side and a lot will depend upon what I sell my property for. I would ideally like a small 2 bed/1 bath ranch. I live alone so I only need a small house.

Chris

Old 03-30-2008, 04:34 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,629,547 times
Once you have a price range in mind, I would pick up the New Haven real estate listings and see what's available for your target price. Find the ones close to the New Haven Green, then find which of those are in good neighborhoods. For an affordable house with a yard within walking distance of the cultural centers of New Haven, your options may be limited. It would probably be something off of Orange St. But be aware, there are some rundown neighborhoods east of Orange St., so it's a mixed bag.

I don't think you will find a ranch. I've never seen any of them near downtown New Haven.

If you decide you don't need to be within walking distance of downtown, there is another very charming neighborhood I forgot to mention: Westville. It's behind the Yale athletic fields and Yale Bowl, bordered by Forest Rd. That is a great, safe neighborhood. It may be more expensive, but definitely a nice place to live, and your greyhounds would love the fields.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:05 PM

I did notice a couple of listing on Realtor.com that backed up to West Rock Ridge State park in Westville. Is this the area you meant?

Old 03-31-2008, 06:28 PM

10,066 posts, read 14,439,885 times
Make sure you stick with Westville and not the West Rock area. That area is sketchy and has a housing project near it. I've been searching New Haven since October of 2007 for an investment house. Prices have plummeted--good news for you for sure!! Beaver Hills is quaint and charming on some streets, while others are very unsafe in spots--it's a hit or miss 'hood. Westville is very safe and very much filled with young couples. Prices are higher there though. You can buy a house in Beaver Hills for around $150k-$200k, maybe less since you are shooting for a single family. East Rock is a phenomenal neighborhood! Super charming and very 1950s all-American! Safe--very safe. But pricey for the most part. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut