Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2018, 08:32 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,454,444 times

Advertisements

Looking for a spot near West Hartford Center for dinner this weekend. 10 years ago or so I would have known where to go but I realized that recently when the wife and I eat out somewhere decent it has been in Manchester Glastonbury or Hartford. We will be in the center of WH during the day and looks like a relative who lives closer to WH will be able to watch the kids, so it makes more sense to eat there.
We have eaten at Max's and Bricco before and for casual we like the corner Pug, but there has to be more options now.
So far I'm leaning to trying Treva.
Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 09:05 AM

2,495 posts, read 4,718,599 times
If you enjoy Thai food give Blue Elephant Trail a try. Delicious food and a nice outdoor seating area. Zohara is a new Mediterranean restaurant that's gotten a ton of hype and it's always busy in there, so that might be a possibility.

If the weather cooperates, you might want to consider The Pond House over in Elizabeth Park. The rose garden is in full bloom, so there's no better place of outdoor scenery right now. However, it is expected to be very hot this weekend, so if you do go, I would suggest sitting indoors.

Old 06-26-2018, 09:18 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
It's not in the center but the Indian place on South Main at Park is good. Taste of India.

Zahora on Farmington has reliable Mediterranean.

You already know Max Burger. That's always reliable.

Our experience in West Hartford Center is average food, spotty service, and prices way out of line with the food quality and service. I don't mind spending $100+ for good food, service, and atmosphere but we often find ourselves walking out commenting on mediocre food and/or indifferent service. I'm sure the rents in West Hartford Center are huge and labor is expensive so it kind of has to be that price point. We haven't found any of the higher priced places for drinks/wine and dinner to be a great value. You'd think that when you're one of the few customers midweek in the winter, they'd try to get it right. It seems like they live for their weekend and al fresco business where people seem to put up with it.

It's not in the Center but the Pond House at Elizabeth Park has nice al fresco dining where you don't get the West Hartford Center street noise. The food is pretty good at fair prices. The service less so in our experience. You absolutely want a reservation. We do that once in a while. It's a pleasant evening to do that and walk around the rose garden.

Edited:
I guess this is kind of redundant. We like the other Thai place (Prai Kitchen) on LaSalle better than Blue Elephant Trail. Neither is top-of-the-charts Thai but fine for a bite to eat.

Old 06-26-2018, 09:28 AM

898 posts, read 597,322 times
So many restaurant options in WH center that you need to make a special trip to just walk around with a pad and pen and make a list.. I mean, between N/S Main St to Lasalle Rd, there has to be close to 10 restaurants alone in that short stretch. All ethnic options are covered.... My wife works at the bank on S Main.... Somebody mentioned the Blue Elephant... Haven't been there myself but the bank gets a good bit of takeout from there.... Actually, she brought home some leftover noodles from there.... I ate them on her... well, not actually "on her", too messy, but they were delicious... Something different is the Indian place at the corner of S Main and NB Avenue... You can order goat and other odd stuff.... No women work there. If an over crowded gourmet burger joint suits you, there is Max Burger at the end of Lasalle Rd. You kinda have anything that you might want. Cheesecake Factory down in Blueback, but on the weekends, the last time I went a few years ago, there was an hour wait for a table to get your 3,000 calorie salad....LOL

Old 06-26-2018, 09:43 AM

I have never eaten at cheese cake factory but my wife was there about a month ago with a friend of hers. I might take a look at Zohara looking at the menu it would be within the wheelhouse of our tastes. My wife tends to prefer American or Italian restaurants (I eat just about anything) and she really dislikes all the Indian food she has tried so far. We like Sukho Thai in Manchester but I'm not sure she want's to experiment with another Thai place. I will take a look at Pond House as well.
Any one been to Treva?

Old 06-26-2018, 05:16 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Cheesecake Factory is garbage.

I’m a big fan of Barcelona and Bartaco. Always good and consistent.

Old 06-26-2018, 06:11 PM

1,929 posts, read 2,037,963 times
I'd do Barcelona.

Old 07-02-2018, 02:28 PM

To update this we basically ignored the suggestions (but they were appreciated). We ended up liking the looks of Treva and Zohara menus so it went to a coin toss and we went to Treva. Server was a little slow getting to us at first but after that service was actually excellent. Not the best Italian I have ever had but it was quite good without being crazy expensive (just mildly expensive). Over all I was quite satisfied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut