Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2018, 05:46 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,228,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
So you’re going to gun someone down for breaking into your car? Enjoy your lengthy stay in the crowbar hotel.

No need to be so facetious— it’s happened already once, in Ridgefield last summer. When you have neighborhoods night after night after night being hit by the same ring of thieves you get a bunch of pissed off residents. When you get to this new level of thieves starting to steal cars with your children still in them, then yup. 1000%. Society unraveling at the seams, perhaps, but yup
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2018, 06:05 AM

1,929 posts, read 2,037,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
I’m kind of quite glad right about now that CT still allows concealed carry, and that I have mine..
**** is going to start getting ugly if we allow this to keep up. Forcing good people to swirl around the bottom depths of the “progressive” bowl with the bad ones, will never end right. Start locking these eff...ers up again. And for a long time. And I don’t care if they’re “just” juveniles...
As long as it's not in your glove box...

One of the recent thefts was from a gas station I frequent. My car is older so I don't have a fob, but I often have my young child with me at that station and it's one of the last places I would worry about someone jacking my car -- small station, difficult to exit/enter, with few bays and routine police presence - whoever did this goes beyond bold to psychopathic.

Old 08-18-2018, 06:12 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,228,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvexpatinct View Post
As long as it's not in your glove box...

One of the recent thefts was from a gas station I frequent. My car is older so I don't have a fob, but I often have my young child with me at that station and it's one of the last places I would worry about someone jacking my car -- small station, difficult to exit/enter, with few bays and routine police presence - whoever did this goes beyond bold to psychopathic.
Yes exactly not in the glove box... to be perfectly honest, while I have my cc permit, I never did once carry — yet that is, but this sort of thing makes me think.
My husband, when he does carry, which is not often, it is holstered on him (which is not my style — it doesn’t go with my sense of fashion)

It’s so frightening

Old 08-18-2018, 06:31 AM

377 posts, read 240,892 times
Quote:
My car has keyless entry/pushbutton start. Good luck stealing my car when the key fob is always in my pocket.
It can be done by educated thieves with the right equipment. Maybe not the kind we are seeing in these reports, but it is happening.

Old 08-18-2018, 12:03 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAE72 View Post
It can be done by educated thieves with the right equipment. Maybe not the kind we are seeing in these reports, but it is happening.

Yeah, if the "right equipment" is a flatbed truck. You can't reprogram my car to a new pushbutton start key fob with a cheap portable ODB II tool. You can add one without any tools but you need one of the factory fobs to do it.

Old 08-18-2018, 12:36 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
This is not at all common and wouldn’t require way too much money to do.

Old 08-18-2018, 01:33 PM

377 posts, read 240,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
This is not at all common and wouldn’t require way too much money to do.
Less money than you think. ATM’s were once thought to be safe. It is knowledge and skill , not so much about $$$. Electronic signals traveling through the air are always more subject to hacking then hard wire.

Old 08-18-2018, 02:25 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Less money than you think. ATM’s were once thought to be safe. It is knowledge and skill , not so much about $$$. Electronic signals traveling through the air are always more subject to hacking then hard wire.
...except the people stealing vehicles won’t spend a dime on something like that. Additionally, it’s not happening in CT, so mostly moot.

Old 08-19-2018, 08:39 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:

Pushbutton start in my car uses private key encryption to authenticate the fob. Good luck with that. If you don't know the security key from the fob that is programmed into the car, you're not starting the car. Reprogramming the car for a new fob also requires that you know the keying information for the car linked to the VIN so only a dealership with access to the database can do it. Some kid on the street with a cheap battery operated ODB II port tool can't do it.

ATM cards are cloned with magnetic card readers. Once you have the information on the magnetic strip of the card, you can do whatever you want.

If you're talking remote door locks then yeah, those are easy to clone but that gets you into the car. It doesn't start the car. In 2018, it's really hard to steal a car without tools and data that only the dealers have. A dealer tech can do it in 10 minutes which is why cars are stolen on flatbed trucks.

Old 08-20-2018, 07:29 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,611,879 times
Quote:
Pushbutton start in my car uses private key encryption to authenticate the fob. Good luck with that. If you don't know the security key from the fob that is programmed into the car, you're not starting the car. Reprogramming the car for a new fob also requires that you know the keying information for the car linked to the VIN so only a dealership with access to the database can do it. Some kid on the street with a cheap battery operated ODB II port tool can't do it.

ATM cards are cloned with magnetic card readers. Once you have the information on the magnetic strip of the card, you can do whatever you want.

If you're talking remote door locks then yeah, those are easy to clone but that gets you into the car. It doesn't start the car. In 2018, it's really hard to steal a car without tools and data that only the dealers have. A dealer tech can do it in 10 minutes which is why cars are stolen on flatbed trucks.
The encrypted key isn't going to protect against determined thieves with the right tools. Signal relay devices can "trick" the car into sensing the key alongside and it will open right up or start-up. Unless the fob physically has to be in a slot then the thieves have instant access to personal items, ripping out parts, or driving it off into a shipping container destined for some European port. If your car is anything like my Mercedes then designers don't want a missing key error to shut down the engine while driving so thieves will be able to sprint away with it until they next turn it off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut