Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who are you voting for in R Primary? Please only respond if you are a registered republican. Thanks
Boughton 9 33.33%
Herbst 4 14.81%
Obsitnik 9 33.33%
Stefanowski 1 3.70%
Stemerman 4 14.81%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 09:09 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,834,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
The Dan Malloy wrecking ball seems to be the theme so far this primary.

https://youtu.be/ZlM7zP9W_wA

Bob the Rebuilder?

I like Bob the Builder a lot better. He would probably do a better job and fix our roads.

Old 07-17-2018, 09:23 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,196,107 times
I sincerely hope that you Nutmeggers don't make the same mistake the majority in NJ-ians did last November for governor.

Old 07-17-2018, 09:37 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,834,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Well, Boughton lost my vote. He released his plan to repeal the state income tax and it includes canceling many major transportation projects. To me this is very shortsighted and will hurt us more than it will help. To not have a comprehensive plan to deal with transportation funding is just irresponsible. Transportation impacts every resident on our state and we can no longer afford to ignore the problems we have. The last time that happened, a bridge in Greenwich collapsed. Did you forget that Mr. Boughton? Jay

https://ctmirror.org/2018/07/16/boug...1b3f7-68207705

Boughton's tax data is slightly off, but he is free to call me and I will correct him. I also strongly suggest he study what happened in Kansas before trying to eliminate the income tax.

The "business entity tax" which Republicans love to bring up is only $250 every two years. That isn't stopping anyone from opening a business nor is it a tax/fee burden. I would rather see the elimination of the $100 "sales tax permit" fee since its asinine to pay the Govt a fee so I can than later forward them more taxes I collect(ed) on their behalf.

What would impress me no matter what party proposes it, would be to increase the tax exemptions to all taxpayers in CT. The current exemption is $10,000 for single and has actually been reduced from $12,000.

This exemption also hasn't been raised since the implementation of the income tax in 1991.
If the exemption kept pace with inflation the current value of the exemption would be approx $18,000 for single filers. There are far more low income and middle income tax payers in CT than wealthy ones.

I guess we should be grateful he didn't bring up the estate tax.

What's sad for the Republicans IMO is that Boughton is currently the most qualified person to run for Gov. unless another R jumps out of the woodwork and bowls us over, he's doesn't have a chance with that platform.

Erin Stewart would probably get more votes IMO and would probably bring out a lot of young people to the voting booths which is always a good thing.

Old 07-17-2018, 02:36 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,349,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Boughton's tax data is slightly off, but he is free to call me and I will correct him. I also strongly suggest he study what happened in Kansas before trying to eliminate the income tax.

What's sad for the Republicans IMO is that Boughton is currently the most qualified person to run for Gov. unless another R jumps out of the woodwork and bowls us over, he's doesn't have a chance with that platform.

I can not vote for someone who wants to eliminate the income tax entirely. Here is the irony. My former First Selectman Tim Herbst is a moderate on the state income tax. Here is what it says on his site.

"Eliminate the income tax for anyone making $75,000 or less"

That is actually a progressive stance on the income taxes now that I think about it, yet the papers/media are labeling him a conservative. He was my FS for eight years and I know he a little right of center and not a full blown conservative. All of these other guys who want to eliminate the income tax are VERY conservative.

Old 07-17-2018, 03:11 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post

I can not vote for someone who wants to eliminate the income tax entirely. Here is the irony. My former First Selectman Tim Herbst is a moderate on the state income tax. Here is what it says on his site.

"Eliminate the income tax for anyone making $75,000 or less"

That is actually a progressive stance on the income taxes now that I think about it, yet the papers/media are labeling him a conservative. He was my FS for eight years and I know he a little right of center and not a full blown conservative. All of these other guys who want to eliminate the income tax are VERY conservative.
There is such thing as progressive conservative, contrary to what the media and the hard left would have you believe.

Old 07-17-2018, 03:27 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,699,445 times
Conservative
Progressive Conservative
Libertarian
Fiscal Conservative

Should be an interesting Primary to say the least. Which political viewpoint do you choose?

Do away with income tax now
Do away with it in next 5 or so years
Do away with it for those making $75K or less

Um

Old 07-17-2018, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Conservative
Progressive Conservative
Libertarian
Fiscal Conservative
Since I am not a Republican* and I don't know the subtle differences. Can you list the candidates and tell me what you think every candidate is. Or if you think they are a combination of a few things, thanks.

I prefer the politicians more to the center of each party. The problem is I don't think they exist anymore.

*Even though I am unaffiliated (I call myself an Independent) I am going to be voting in either the Republican or Democratic primaries from here on out. As soon as the primaries are done I will switch back to unaffiliated. I think the only way to get rid of the extremes of both parties is for people like me to vote in the primaries.

Old 07-17-2018, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
There is such thing as progressive conservative, contrary to what the media and the hard left would have you believe.
So would you say that Tim Herbst who wants to give a state tax break for people under $75,000 but still keep the state income tax is a progressive conservative?

Old 07-17-2018, 04:19 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,793,885 times
I no longer live in CT but my family still there is voting for Steve Obsitnik

Old 07-17-2018, 04:38 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,699,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
I no longer live in CT but my family still there is voting for Steve Obsitnik
https://ctviewpoints.org/2018/01/05/...cut-taxpayers/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut