Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who are you voting for in R Primary? Please only respond if you are a registered republican. Thanks
Boughton 9 33.33%
Herbst 4 14.81%
Obsitnik 9 33.33%
Stefanowski 1 3.70%
Stemerman 4 14.81%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 10:29 AM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post

I would vote for someone that says they want to add a another lane north and southbound on I-95 from Greenwich to New Haven. Also a big breakdown lanes (2 going south, 2 going north) on the Parkway from Greenwich to New Haven.

I got stuck on the Parkway* in traffic north bound at around 1:30 on Friday and the above is what I was thinking needs to be done immediately....no more studies.

* for what seems like the millionth time in my life.
Then don’t vote for Boughton. He has specifically said he would cancel the widening of I-95.

I agree that transportation is an important issue. It affects just about every resident in our state. The Republicans seem to not be proposing any changes to funding so it is unlikely you will see any changes to the bandaid and patch approach that we have now. Jay

Old 07-22-2018, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
While I agree politicians typically "kick the can" (never understood why. Wouldn't they want to be known as the one to make it happen"??

But, Doesn't the governor have to go through Congress or State Legislators to implement a law? Was that the reason during Rowland and Rell not being able to accomplish things? Maybe it was stopped many times?
The Governor sets the budget and policy. They have the public’s eye and can certainly push the legislature to address an issue just like Malloy is doing with tolls right now. Neither Rell or Rowland did that. And I forgot, Wiecker was a Republican before he became an independent to run for Governor. Makes me wonder if the Republicans are any better at controlling spending. Jay

Old 07-22-2018, 10:53 AM

21,616 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Maybe but not if I do not agree with their agenda. I do not blindly vote by party affiliation. That is just ignorant and lazy.

I can’t support Boughton who wants to cut transportation funding. How can our economy grow if we do not have a quality transportation system to support it? If Boughton is the Republican candidate, I may be forced to vote for a Democrat. Will see. Jay
Because, well, you’re a democrat.

Old 07-22-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
No. As I have said here before, I am a registered Republican. I just don’t agree with the current far right ridiculously pro business leaning policies that the party currently touts. They party needs to come into the 21st century already. Jay

Old 07-22-2018, 01:27 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:
Makes me wonder if the Republicans are any better at controlling spending.
I think spending is probably the same its just that its spent on different things. One party helps push the economy, the other keeps it flat.

Quote:
How can our economy grow if we do not have a quality transportation system to support it?
Quote:
I just don’t agree with the current far right ridiculously pro business leaning policies that the party currently touts.
So you think transportation grows the economy but not Pro Business minded policies?? That's what I just read from that.

I think If the economy remains strong, congestion will continue to worsen and that means economy controls transportation. More jobs, more congestion. More shopping, more traffic.

I DO however agree that freeing up the roads to allow safer conditions and more vehicles on it will further help the economy..but the economy will grow without it.

BTW -- Stats for a growing economy includes spending on gas. Keep that in mind too when thinking about wasted hours in congestion. lol

Old 07-22-2018, 02:40 PM

4,449 posts, read 3,342,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Jay is a Republican like my husband and they do exist. My husband hates Trump and he agrees with me (an Independent) on many matters. My husband is 63 and years ago the Republican Party was way more to the center than now. I frankly don't recognize the Republican Party (and Democratic Party) especially in the last 10-15 years.

Old 07-22-2018, 03:05 PM

21,616 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
Jay is a Republican like my husband and they do exist. My husband hates Trump and he agrees with me (an Independent) on many matters. My husband is 63 and years ago the Republican Party was way more to the center than now. I frankly don't recognize the Republican Party (and Democratic Party) especially in the last 10-15 years.
Yep - both parties have gone off the deep end. It’s absolutely insane. I happen to dislike the democratic agenda in 2018 more than the republican agenda.

Old 07-22-2018, 04:11 PM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times
There really is no way to free up the roads; unless the State acquires old rail lines.

I'll vote for any candidate that is for legalizing marijuana, increase funding to DMHAS & disability services, auditing State finances, eliminating certain taxes, tolls, and so forth.

Old 07-22-2018, 04:17 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
Not that I live in CT anymore, but anyone who actually believes that a Republican is suddenly going to save the state or get it on a better path has got to be kidding themselves.

Old 07-22-2018, 06:01 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,183,050 times
The Dems have controlled the senate since 92, but for 2 yrs. The house since then til 2010. Last yrs we had Malloy. The Dems have basically controlled Ct govt for the last 30 yrs. They own this mess. A wealthy state, small in size near with a beautiful coastline etc...and yet here we are.
For those who think new leadership, and ideas cant change things for the better....open your minds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut