Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 09:54 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,836,286 times

Advertisements

https://ctmirror.org/2018/07/14/fede...n-connecticut/

"A federal judge ordered the government to bring the parents of two immigrant children currently being held in Connecticut to a court hearing in Bridgeport next week, after finding that their separation at the U.S. border was unconstitutional."

Its about time and its a shame it took this long. I think this is the first judge to rule this way in the country and we can be proud it happened right here in CT.

P.S. The comments section of this article are scary. You might want to have a drink before reading them.

Old 07-16-2018, 08:30 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,498,040 times
Let us clarify some of the meaning here without being too political. "full blown acute PTSD" I highly doubt is a medical term so we can discount the "full blown" piece as it was told this way for effect. Moving on they need to be very specific when they say removed from families "at the border". Individuals do not simply show up at an authorized border entry point and get broken up. An immigrant crossing "illegally" with children, no documentation, no way for the authorities to prove they are the relative/parent/etc. falls into a procedure where they are separated until they can be verified.

Unfortunately the system is broken in many places at this point but I do not blame the current administration for simply carrying out the process. Bottom line is things need to change but you cannot fix a leaking/broken pipe with the water main still on, needs to be shut down at the source (border) then you can work on the rest.

Hopefully that was not overly political but the bottom line is you need to read such things carefully before forming "jump opinions". Even though this did happen in CT I think the mods should push it to the Immigration forum.

Old 07-16-2018, 08:36 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
^ Exactly ^

People are watching too much CNN and not doing enough of their own research.

Old 07-16-2018, 08:48 AM

Yale law students were also involved in the case. This is the first of many and the immigration courts will be backed up for years long after Trump is gone.

PTSD is a medical diagnosis qualifying it doesn't matter nor makes it any less valid. If anything it demonstrates the hi stress conditions these kids are experiencing at the hands (very small hands) of our Govt and Trump.

Old 07-16-2018, 09:13 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
I think it went too far and some arrangements need to be made so that the kids are sheltered with their parents. But I also think that if parents are breaking our laws, they deserve the same treatment as anyone else who breaks our laws.

Most of these people are not eligible for asylum. They are not refugees. Yes, they want a better life. When you come here for a better life, there's a LEGAL way to do so. You apply through the embassy.

The problem lies with the broken immigration system. Currently, it's extremely difficult to get in legally. You can apply IF you are going to marry an American and have a sponsor to make sure you don't end up on welfare, you can apply if you have a sponsor giving you a job (usually a doctor or scientist), you can apply if you are a foreign student.

And there's some sort of lottery system too. It's a mess. Since there is no LEGAL way for most people to get in, they come here illegally without papers, bypass the system, and tend to stay beneath the radar.

I don't know if I'm proud of our CT judge. Probably so, because it is cruel to separate children like this. But the big problem is the parents bringing them here in the first place. And the BIG problem is our broken immigration system. We do have a guest worker program and I can remember Jamaican workers here in the CT Valley picking crops--they worked and when the season was over, they went home. If we can't fix the immigration system, then expand the guest worker program. They are using it in Maine now for seasonal workers at the beaches.

Old 07-16-2018, 09:41 AM

1,970 posts, read 2,236,690 times
Non-political responses only please.

How do noncitizens have rights under the US constitution? Not saying they don't have other rights under the UN Human Rights accord or some other multinational document. But I don't see how they may assert US constitutional rights.

Old 07-16-2018, 09:42 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
P.S. The comments section of this article are scary. You might want to have a drink before reading them.

The comments are less scary than some of the deplorable stuff I see on my Facebook feed.

If someone claims asylum, you hold the court case that day and either grant them asylum or do a Norway and pay their expenses and some pocket money to leave the country. Norway is 10,000 Euros. Way cheaper than many months of jail time. If you want public policy to be to eject illegal immigrants, you have to fund the court system to do it.

Old 07-16-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post
Non-political responses only please.

How do noncitizens have rights under the US constitution? Not saying they don't have other rights under the UN Human Rights accord or some other multinational document. But I don't see how they may assert US constitutional rights.

The Constitution applies to all persons within the borders of the US and its territories regardless of citizenship status. I'm always surprised people don't know this, but our education system is fairly poor and no longer includes civics, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

If the Constitution didn't apply to non citizens we could just go straight to execution without trials for speeding tickets or breach of peace etc. We could also apply the same treatment to people visiting the US as tourists since they aren't citizens either. If we did that I don't think we'd have many tourists visiting the US.

The crux of the case here and future cases is persons are being denied "due process" which is exactly what the judge said in his ruling.

If we want to speed up the process we could hire more immigration judges and open more courts. No one wants to pay for that however, unless the party in charge can figure out how to profit off such a change.

Old 07-16-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
The comments are less scary than some of the deplorable stuff I see on my Facebook feed.

If someone claims asylum, you hold the court case that day and either grant them asylum or do a Norway and pay their expenses and some pocket money to leave the country. Norway is 10,000 Euros. Way cheaper than many months of jail time. If you want public policy to be to eject illegal immigrants, you have to fund the court system to do it.

I do not use facebook, however the comments there wouldn't surprise me.

As for the current situation that is going on with 2000+ children separated from their parents someone and/or some companies are profiting off this. I always go with "follow the money."

Holding immigration cases in one day won't leave much room for profit.

There are probably 100,000+ lawyers out of work in this country, I'm sure a few thousand of them are competent enough to be immigration judges.

Old 07-16-2018, 10:41 AM

331 posts, read 207,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I think it went too far and some arrangements need to be made so that the kids are sheltered with their parents. But I also think that if parents are breaking our laws, they deserve the same treatment as anyone else who breaks our laws.

Most of these people are not eligible for asylum. They are not refugees. Yes, they want a better life. When you come here for a better life, there's a LEGAL way to do so. You apply through the embassy.

The problem lies with the broken immigration system. Currently, it's extremely difficult to get in legally. You can apply IF you are going to marry an American and have a sponsor to make sure you don't end up on welfare, you can apply if you have a sponsor giving you a job (usually a doctor or scientist), you can apply if you are a foreign student.

And there's some sort of lottery system too. It's a mess. Since there is no LEGAL way for most people to get in, they come here illegally without papers, bypass the system, and tend to stay beneath the radar.

I don't know if I'm proud of our CT judge. Probably so, because it is cruel to separate children like this. But the big problem is the parents bringing them here in the first place. And the BIG problem is our broken immigration system. We do have a guest worker program and I can remember Jamaican workers here in the CT Valley picking crops--they worked and when the season was over, they went home. If we can't fix the immigration system, then expand the guest worker program. They are using it in Maine now for seasonal workers at the beaches.
See I hear this a lot. We have different levels of severity. A mother crossing with her child is not to be put in the same category as a drug dealer.

I did 45 in a 35, I don’t need to go to jail for it and my children placed without me. Surely we distinguish between a mother with a toddler and someone caught with drugs. Lock them up together or deport them together. It’s pretty easy. I do think we need a better system that provides work permits for migrants, better relationship with Mexico, because much of the Mexico’s illegal immigration has become net negative, but immigration from Central America hasn’t. We need mexico to protect its southern border better too.

I don’t support any politician that accepts children being separated from their parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut