Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 01:33 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,184,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAE72 View Post
" deprived of items of mind stimulation "

What about books ? Much cheaper. I see them at Good Will for a dollar or less each.
+1!
Tablets will be hacked used in more crimes etc.....smuggling in cell phones is already a problem.
Bring back the chain gang. Teach the kids how bad it is to do time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2018, 02:00 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,348,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
The state has not only upped the budget (by a lot) for high quality food in prisons, they’ve now allocated funds to provide each inmate with a tablet. Meanwhile, our kids in many public schools are eating slop and are reading from years old books.

You should all be outraged at the stance this administration has taken on criminal behavior in Connecticut. It is appalling.

https://www.wtnh.com/news/technology...ets/1319941752
Just about everyone on my Facebook page is plenty mad about the tablets......even many of my Democratic FB friends.

IMO the inmates should be reading second hand books that are donated to the prisons that don't cost the CT taxpayers money.

Old 07-25-2018, 02:34 PM

3,435 posts, read 3,944,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBigGreen View Post
Until every school age child in CT has a tablet, I have zero problem “depriving” convicts of a tablet. I’d say access to books and career training is far more important than a tablet. Yes, I know you can access books on a tablet but the extra cost for the electronics is not worth our tax dollars IMO.
Hear, hear.

Old 07-25-2018, 03:02 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,697,498 times
? Though kind of on topic and off topic.

I don't know on this I think it is a good thing. Hopefully some good can come out of it.

The question is in regards to privatization of CT prisons... Thoughts? From what I heard not 100% sure the organizations out there have had some negative scuttlebutt regarding how they run & treat prisoners.

It would save CT money probably but is it the right thing to do is the question.

Also in regards to tablets useful spending...However, has their been more unuseful spending within the CT DOC?

How many prisons does CT really need? Should CT reform their penal system in the State. By that there is lots of push from a NY Governor to bring reform to the penal system in NY. CT is much smaller on scale and could see it more of a success here.

For individuals charged for use of illicit substances instead of placing them in jail slap a fine on them and convert a prison into a rehabilitation center. Furthermore, instead of focusing on the victim of the illicit substance focuses more on sentencing those who distribute and sell illicit substances as a deterrent.

Also to avoid increase recidivism rates increase GED rates in prison and offer tax breaks for CT companies that hire recently rehabilitated individuals from the penal system.

Does CT need to reopen the juvenile facility again? There are a few non-profit agencies that work with the Courts that strive to avoid those under certain age jail time. However, with that said there is only two facilities for juveniles in the State. Those are mostly just for a holding center.

Also as a cost effective measure instead of total privatization...What if the State did a few things...Partnered with local healthcare providers to provide healthcare to prisoners outside of UCONN Health. Should their be at least 1 rehab facility and 1 centralized prison hospital facility in the State? Could CT work with Mass and RI to consolidate their correction services into one System?

Thoughts???

Old 07-25-2018, 03:27 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
? Though kind of on topic and off topic.

I don't know on this I think it is a good thing. Hopefully some good can come out of it.

The question is in regards to privatization of CT prisons... Thoughts? From what I heard not 100% sure the organizations out there have had some negative scuttlebutt regarding how they run & treat prisoners.

It would save CT money probably but is it the right thing to do is the question.

Also in regards to tablets useful spending...However, has their been more unuseful spending within the CT DOC?

How many prisons does CT really need? Should CT reform their penal system in the State. By that there is lots of push from a NY Governor to bring reform to the penal system in NY. CT is much smaller on scale and could see it more of a success here.

For individuals charged for use of illicit substances instead of placing them in jail slap a fine on them and convert a prison into a rehabilitation center. Furthermore, instead of focusing on the victim of the illicit substance focuses more on sentencing those who distribute and sell illicit substances as a deterrent.

Also to avoid increase recidivism rates increase GED rates in prison and offer tax breaks for CT companies that hire recently rehabilitated individuals from the penal system.

Does CT need to reopen the juvenile facility again? There are a few non-profit agencies that work with the Courts that strive to avoid those under certain age jail time. However, with that said there is only two facilities for juveniles in the State. Those are mostly just for a holding center.

Also as a cost effective measure instead of total privatization...What if the State did a few things...Partnered with local healthcare providers to provide healthcare to prisoners outside of UCONN Health. Should their be at least 1 rehab facility and 1 centralized prison hospital facility in the State? Could CT work with Mass and RI to consolidate their correction services into one System?

Thoughts???
All good points but I’d ask you create a separate thread for that topic.

Old 07-25-2018, 03:29 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,877,527 times
In Norway and Sweden the prisons are nicer than US hotels. I am still surprised to hear this wow.

Old 07-25-2018, 06:41 PM

610 posts, read 533,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
In Norway and Sweden the prisons are nicer than US hotels. I am still surprised to hear this wow.
I'm glad to hear that Anders Breivik (who murdered 77 students in 2011) is enjoying his stay, courtesy of Norwegian taxpayers, including victims' family members.

Now we get to treat Hays and Komisarjevsky (Cheshire home invasion) very well also, for the rest of their lives unless released early. Thank you Malloy.

Old 07-25-2018, 06:43 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,651,220 times
I think it is great.

Prisoners should be rehabilitated. You can't be rehabilitated if you are being fed rancid baloney.

Public schools are based on prisons, so maybe in time, they too will improve.

Old 07-25-2018, 06:47 PM

34,053 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
NY State did this a couple of months ago. It's ridiculous...
professional 5 star restaurant chefs next?

Old 07-25-2018, 06:54 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,833,833 times
Comparing prisoners getting tablets vs schools getting books is a red herring.

Schools are funded by local taxes, prisons are funded by state taxes. No suburban school districts that I know of is lacking for anything in CT.

City schools yes. If you guys cared so much about students and their supplies you would be attending all the town council or board of ed meetings in the poor city school districts and asking what can you do to help.

I've seen tablets priced as low as $100 at Kohls. Don't know if they are any good, but these prisoners are not getting apple products. CT has approx 16,000 prisoners at $100 each that equals $1.6million. That's a joke for a state that has a 20 billion+ budget.

I don't know the stats, but I would assume at least 75% of Ct's prisoners will be released back into society. A tablet may help them learn how to become better citizens and perhaps even help rehabilitate them. The news story said the tablets would have books and other stuff such as lessons on how to use a check book.

Seems like it would also help control the population better since if all the books could be stored electronically there wouldn't be a need for a library. However, I'm fairly certain that under state law all prisons must have a "law library" Then again no reason why that law library couldn't also be electronic.

If the prisons could close their libraries that would allow more space for convicts. Which I'm sure most people here would love. So you all have that going for you I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut