Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 07:30 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,695,383 times

Advertisements

As far as:

1.) Lowest COL (Lower taxes & Lower Property Cost)

2.) Better amenities (Restaurants, parks, beaches, movie theater, shopping areas)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2018, 07:36 AM

21,749 posts, read 28,077,952 times
You can’t generalize those areas so much. For the most part they’re comparable.

Mystic and especially Stonington Borough itself are not cheap. The Borough is very expensive and exclusive real estate.

The surrounding Groton and Stonington areas are inexpensive.

Old Lyme is expensive in parts but pretty moderate otherwise. East Lyme and Niantic are inexpensive.

Mystic/Stonington obviaouly have the edge on restaurants as it’s a tourist area.

Old 08-03-2018, 10:01 AM

712 posts, read 530,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post

Mystic/Stonington obviaouly have the edge on restaurants as it’s a tourist area.
I don't know about that unless mystic pizza is your cup of tea. S/E ct in general doesn't have great restaurants. Terrible compared to hartford/new haven/fairfield county areas.

Old 08-03-2018, 10:49 AM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondtheHorizon View Post
I don't know about that unless mystic pizza is your cup of tea. S/E ct in general doesn't have great restaurants. Terrible compared to hartford/new haven/fairfield county areas.
I think he meant in comparison to the Lymes, not the state.

Old 08-03-2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I think he meant in comparison to the Lymes, not the state.
Well the lymes are right next to old saybrook so I'd say the dining is about the same as mystic. Just my opinion.

Old 08-03-2018, 01:22 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,455,547 times
Well Crystal mall is in Waterford next to East Lyme so I might give shopping to Lyme area.
Also these areas aren't that far apart really so going form one to the other for dinner is common.
Based on COL I would think East Lyme or Waterford may offer the best bet. The lower priced areas of Groton have school issues if that's important to you. (not like Bridgeport/Hartford issues but you can do better issues)
I think there are plenty of decent places to eat in both actually.
Flanders Fish Market in East Lyme for example.
And Oyster club in the Mystic area.
Also lots of cool places to eat but not really go out to dinner places.
I'm thinking places like
The Shack
Freds Shanty
Scotts lobster dock
Sea swirl
Angies and Pier 27
Dog watch
Abotts
Fords Lobster (which as I understand it is now more a real restaurant)
Sunset Ribs
Etc.

If your going near Stonington I love Pawcatuck (part of Stonington) It's kind like a twin town with Westerly and has a nice feeling to it.

Old 08-03-2018, 01:24 PM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
Well the lymes are right next to old saybrook so I'd say the dining is about the same as mystic. Just my opinion.
I’m with you there.

Old 08-03-2018, 04:57 PM

21,749 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Quote:
Mystic Pizza is not the only place to eat around there. It’s not even very good.

Oyster Club/Treehouse, Engine Room, Daniel Packer Inne, Grass & Bone, S&P, Dog Watch, Breakwater, Pizzetta, Milagro all very good. And that’s just the spots I’ve tried, there’s others. Certainly more than in OS. There’s also Beer’d and some of the better wineries in the state.

Old 08-03-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Mystic Pizza is not the only place to eat around there. It’s not even very good.

Oyster Club/Treehouse, Engine Room, Daniel Packer Inne, Grass & Bone, S&P, Dog Watch, Breakwater, Pizzetta, Milagro all very good. And that’s just the spots I’ve tried, there’s others. Certainly more than in OS. There’s also Beer’d and some of the better wineries in the state.
There simply are very few options especially if you like different types of cuisines. Let's say you like good Indian food. How many options? Are they good? This is not even a contest when compared to central CT, new haven, or fairfield county. It's very comparable to old saybrook.

Old 08-03-2018, 06:16 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,455,547 times
Quote:
There simply are very few options especially if you like different types of cuisines. Let's say you like good Indian food. How many options? Are they good? This is not even a contest when compared to central CT, new haven, or fairfield county. It's very comparable to old saybrook.
While I agree it's not as good a variety as central CT, New London and Groton do add variety to the mix. I know I have eaten good Indian in Groton and good Jamacian and Mexican in New London.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut