Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 01:30 PM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times

Advertisements

If you had the opition what would you prefer:

1.) Congestion Tolls ranging from $2 to $40 per toll based on traffic

2.) 65 cent gas tax

3.) 1.5% deduction of your paycheck towards transportation and infrastructure. With a flat income and sales tax of 2.5%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2018, 02:02 PM

331 posts, read 207,709 times
Congestion tolls? I’d rather have tolls period. To make sure everyone who uses the road, especially non CT residence, help pay for them.

Old 08-22-2018, 02:23 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Just plain TOLLS. Like we used to have but these would be done electronically. Like the Mass Pike. We'd snag those drivers from NY/NJ who use this a drive through country. Toll rates would be lower for CT drivers, of course.

Old 08-22-2018, 02:34 PM

There is already reports if tolls go in it will probably be congestion tolls.

So if you had to choose out of the three.

I chose the gas tax. Sure gas will be a bit pricey. For those who travel 400 to 600 miles a week it is cheaper than tolls. Also adds no additional cost to the State. Can easily put a clause in after X amount of years decrease gas tax by X amount of money. Example being raise the gas tax to 62 cents and decrease to 12 cents in 15 years. Exempt gas from sales tax.

Old 08-22-2018, 02:45 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post

I chose the gas tax. Sure gas will be a bit pricey. For those who travel 400 to 600 miles a week it is cheaper than tolls. Also adds no additional cost to the State. Can easily put a clause in after X amount of years decrease gas tax by X amount of money. Example being raise the gas tax to 62 cents and decrease to 12 cents in 15 years. Exempt gas from sales tax.

Gas tax would be great. I don't ever buy gasoline in Connecticut unless it's expense report and a rental car where I don't care.

I'm a big fan of congestion-based tolling. As I've written many times, I'd adjust the toll rates based on number of occupants in the car. 4 people would be dirt cheap at rush hour. Single occupant very expensive.

Old 08-22-2018, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Gas tax would be great. I don't ever buy gasoline in Connecticut unless it's expense report and a rental car where I don't care.

I'm a big fan of congestion-based tolling. As I've written many times, I'd adjust the toll rates based on number of occupants in the car. 4 people would be dirt cheap at rush hour. Single occupant very expensive.
That would suck. Granted I drive odd hours to & from for work & school. Usually on the road at 4AM, 6AM, 2PM, 3PM, 4PM, 10PM, and 12PM. Mostly travel 84 to Rt 8 from Waterbury to Bridgeport. Soon to be adding in a commute from Waterbury to East Hartford using 84, 691, or 91 for that commute.

Old 08-22-2018, 02:49 PM

6,569 posts, read 4,962,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
As I've written many times, I'd adjust the toll rates based on number of occupants in the car. 4 people would be dirt cheap at rush hour. Single occupant very expensive.
That would really hurt the self employed and tradesmen who are on the road often but cannot carpool

Old 08-22-2018, 03:43 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,454,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post

I would prefer a small gas tax increase maybe back to the .35 a gallon of the nineties. I have also heard that if tolls go in they will most likely be congestion based. Said before overhead and infrastructure required for tolls mean that most of the money collected from out of staters will not go into our coffers.

I guess i would add a bump to the gas tax and bring sales tax up to 7%, and use that for roads.

Also the estimates are that the infrastructure for tolls will cost anywhere from 200-600 million. Last year the DOT said it would take 4-5 years from the state approving tolls to the DOT taking in actual revenue.

Old 08-22-2018, 03:54 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Tolls with a deep CT resident discount.

Old 08-22-2018, 04:10 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,131,647 times
We had tolls in CT at one time, there was a toll booth at the Norwalk/Westport line as well as in Stratford. The reason the toll booths were removed was due to the horrific accident. This accident happened at 3 in the afternoon which isn't exactly considered rush hour. There was a truck which lost its brakes and went into 3 or 4 cars. The crashed caused the truck to burst into flames as well as the cars, 7 people died. Now picture this scenario at 5:30 pm do you still think there would be only 7 deaths. There was a good reason for those toll booths to be removed and I can't believe anyone that remembers this
incident would want to bring them back.
In addition if you think there is traffic now you have no clue - EZ Pass only helps a bit its not a cure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut