Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 12:48 PM

8 posts, read 29,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uconn99 View Post
Ofcourse when it is snowing not all lanes of the road are going to be clear. Give me a break. Don't you ever see the interstates being plowed by 3-4 trucks side by side at the same time? It is done that way all the time. Next thing you know people are complaning because the plow trucks are blocking all the lanes.

When snow is falling a 1" per hour or more there isn't much the state can do with regards to keeping the roads clear, it simply comes down too fast.

I am sorry to say this but you obviously have no idea what you are talking about. I suggest you write to the Connecticut DOT with what you are claiming. In fact, the state of Connecticut for the past 2 years has not used sand on the state roads. Today they use 90% salt and 10% liquid salt agent. Did you see any sand on the highways after this winter? No, you didn't because there wasn't any used. It is all salt and that is why after snow storms the roads are white with salt all over the medians. Did you fail to notice that snow on the sides of the road is no longer brown and instead it is now greyish? Once again this is because there is no sand used, only salt. Please open your eyes.

As far as town roads go, it depends on the town you drive in. Each town has its own method of snow removal, some still use sand while some use only salt now.

ConnDOT: ConnDOT is initiating a new snow and ice removal program this winter season

State To Change Snow Removal Tactics - I-Team Archive News Story - WFSB Hartford

I have lived in connecticut since 1981 and I've seen 3-4 plow trucks as you describe, maybe once? maybe never. Maybe it is done in some areas. I drove I-91 from Middletown to Hartford for 25 years, never saw it. I drive up I-91 to the Mass pike and thence over to either the NYS thruway, I-84 to Danbury, or up to Vermont to visit family many many times. I have been driving since 1969. The situation I described above occurred between 6:45 am and 7:00 am on a weekday morning and the snow was 4-5" deep on the highway. I have a 4 wheel drive vehicle. The traffic hadn't yet gotten heavy but was on the brink of rush hour. It had been snowing since the previous evening. Plenty of time.

I grew up in western New York state, Think Buffalo. When I turned 16, it was November...and my dad made me wait until spring to take my road test because of weather. I took my road test in April, 1969, in a blinding snowstorm.

If they use salt on the roads here, the vehicles would be white in winter. That is what salt does to vehicles. Oh - and there would be a lot of rusted out vehicles. Lines at car washes in the winter are long because if you don't wash your vehicle often, rust shows by the end of the season.
My vehicle is very rarely white in winter. Occasionally they use salt, very rarely and usually with ice. I always know when I have driven on roads with salt or sand. Salt isn't brown either.
Maybe they use it on the roads you drive on, but not on the ones I drive on.
Maybe it depends on where you live. I am in the center of the state, and salt is rarely used here. Very rarely.

Last edited by Barbarahp; 04-19-2008 at 01:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 09:40 PM

639 posts, read 2,710,416 times
How don't you notice the absence of sand on the roads over the past 2 winters? How don't you notice how the snow is now gray instead of brown on the roads and on the sides of the roads?

Call the DOT if you think they don't use salt. As proven in the 2 articles I posted, the state has got away from using sand and uses mainly salt now. The different towns is a different story, many still use a sand/salt mixtures but state highways is 95% salt now.

Old 04-21-2008, 10:57 PM

246 posts, read 872,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarahp View Post
I have lived in connecticut since 1981 and I've seen 3-4 plow trucks as you describe, maybe once? maybe never. Maybe it is done in some areas. I drove I-91 from Middletown to Hartford for 25 years, never saw it. I drive up I-91 to the Mass pike and thence over to either the NYS thruway, I-84 to Danbury, or up to Vermont to visit family many many times. I have been driving since 1969. The situation I described above occurred between 6:45 am and 7:00 am on a weekday morning and the snow was 4-5" deep on the highway. I have a 4 wheel drive vehicle. The traffic hadn't yet gotten heavy but was on the brink of rush hour. It had been snowing since the previous evening. Plenty of time.

I grew up in western New York state, Think Buffalo. When I turned 16, it was November...and my dad made me wait until spring to take my road test because of weather. I took my road test in April, 1969, in a blinding snowstorm.

If they use salt on the roads here, the vehicles would be white in winter. That is what salt does to vehicles. Oh - and there would be a lot of rusted out vehicles. Lines at car washes in the winter are long because if you don't wash your vehicle often, rust shows by the end of the season.
My vehicle is very rarely white in winter. Occasionally they use salt, very rarely and usually with ice. I always know when I have driven on roads with salt or sand. Salt isn't brown either.
Maybe they use it on the roads you drive on, but not on the ones I drive on.
Maybe it depends on where you live. I am in the center of the state, and salt is rarely used here. Very rarely.
This is the first year CT DOT trucks have used salt on the highways. Before, it was strictly sand.

The roads were definitely white this winter - different than any other season. I had to wash my car after every storm because of the possible paint damage salt can do.

Honestly, I prefer sand and a snow-day. No salt.

Old 04-22-2008, 05:53 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee784 View Post
This is the first year CT DOT trucks have used salt on the highways. Before, it was strictly sand.

The roads were definitely white this winter - different than any other season. I had to wash my car after every storm because of the possible paint damage salt can do.

Honestly, I prefer sand and a snow-day. No salt.
I'm glad they are doing away with the NASTY *DIRT* they used to throw on the roads by the ton.

Salt is not harmful to paint. It can speed along corrosion though. Sand, however will literally sandblast the paint off and pit your windshield as the tires kick it up.

Sand is nasty and frankly they end up using what looks like topsoil more than not and it ends up as mud.

There is also a LOT less cleanup with salt and the storm drain lines don't get clogged up either.

FYI they do not use straight "rock salt". It's a calcium salt mixture and usually a brine of sorts they kind of spray down. They do use it in grain form as well at times. It also stays behind on the road as a residue and helps fresh snow not stick as easy which means clearer roads for everyone.

My FIL is a DPW director so I know this info first hand.

Old 04-22-2008, 05:03 PM

639 posts, read 2,710,416 times
Next winter look at a DOT truck in the back, notice all that white stuff???? You don't see sand in there anymore.

Also, I believe this program is in its second year. In previous years they did use a sand/salt mixture. I would say probably 75/25 in favor of sand.

Old 05-06-2008, 03:33 PM

8 posts, read 29,321 times
Well maybe it's because I no longer go on the highway to work anymore thank god, as of last spring. But it's about time, sand does *nothing*. They use sand in my town though, not salt. I still have sand on my little street left over from winter!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut