Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 09:47 PM

1,157 posts, read 1,411,815 times

Advertisements

I'm flying into Hartford tomorrow and will be working in Meriden this week through Friday. I'll have evenings after 4:30 or 5pm to myself and my own rental car, so looking for must see / do / eat / shop types of places in the area. Open to driving to Hartford, New Haven, Waterbury, or similar distances. Any thoughts? I'm kind of a foodie, but am fine with a good touristy gimmick, too. Enjoy browsing malls and other popular shopping type areas, too.

What are some things I should definitely check out in my spare evenings up there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2018, 10:23 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,918,061 times
New Haven is known for its pizza. Frank Pepe’s there has been voted No. 1 in the country. It is a must try.

Louis Lunch in New Haven is reported to be the originator of the hamburger. Might be worth a visit.

Also check out Lenny & Joe’s Fish Tale on New Haven Harbor. Good food and nice water views.

Meriden is known for steamed burgers. Teds is the place to find them.

There are many great places to eat. It depends what you like. Jay

Old 09-22-2018, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
New Haven is known for its pizza. Frank Pepe’s there has been voted No. 1 in the country. It is a must try.

Louis Lunch in New Haven is reported to be the originator of the hamburger. Might be worth a visit.

Also check out Lenny & Joe’s Fish Tale on New Haven Harbor. Good food and nice water views.

Great start! Unfortunately I don’t think I’ll have much choice in my lunch spots (limited time and coworkers will probably dictate where), but I’ll definitely look these up for dinner. Had already heard about Ted’s in Meriden, so I guess that one is a no brainer.

Any hot spots for shopping or particularly other interesting things to do in the evening hours?

Old 09-22-2018, 11:43 PM

21,734 posts, read 28,065,714 times
Go to New Haven, open up Yelp, and pick. It’s one of the best foodie cities around. A huge variety of cuisines. Good bars, music, museums, etc too. Shopping on Chapel and Broadway. If you can get there early enough, Yale Art Gallery is exceptional. The British Gallery and Peabody are cool too. The top of East Rock Park is good for a view. Walking Yale campus and some of the historic neighborhoods can be very nice.

You can find music and performances at College Street Music Hall, Toad’s Place, Cafe Nine, Stella Blues, Firehouse 12, The State House, Yale Rep Theater, Long Wharf Theater, Shubert Theater, Woolsey Hall (classical, often cheap or free - beautiful grand hall). Or even Space Ballroom in nearby Hamden. Bound to be something every night you’re here.

And yes, the pizza is a must. Modern, Sally’s, Pepe’s, and BAR are the main ones.

There’s tourist attractions elsewhere but mostly daytime activities. New Haven will give you the most by far. You also may want to do a night in West Hartford. Good food and shopping at Blue Back Square. I would skip Waterbury entirely.

Last edited by Stylo; 09-23-2018 at 12:10 AM..

Old 09-23-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Go to New Haven, open up Yelp, and pick. It’s one of the best foodie cities around. A huge variety of cuisines. Good bars, music, museums, etc too. Shopping on Chapel and Broadway. If you can get there early enough, Yale Art Gallery is exceptional. The British Gallery and Peabody are cool too. The top of East Rock Park is good for a view. Walking Yale campus and some of the historic neighborhoods can be very nice.

You can find music and performances at College Street Music Hall, Toad’s Place, Cafe Nine, Stella Blues, Firehouse 12, The State House, Yale Rep Theater, Long Wharf Theater, Shubert Theater, Woolsey Hall (classical, often cheap or free - beautiful grand hall). Or even Space Ballroom in nearby Hamden. Bound to be something every night you’re here.

And yes, the pizza is a must. Modern, Sally’s, Pepe’s, and BAR are the main ones.

There’s tourist attractions elsewhere but mostly daytime activities. New Haven will give you the most by far. You also may want to do a night in West Hartford. Good food and shopping at Blue Back Square. I would skip Waterbury entirely.
Thanks for the great tips!

Old 09-23-2018, 04:09 PM

898 posts, read 597,647 times
Truth is, not sure about New Haven, but not much goes on around greater Hartford during the week in the evenings to get too excited about. I'd recommend Chicago Sam's in Cromwell. Not too far from Meriden. I think Monday and Tuesday they have a $12 prime rib special...not the best cut, but beats steamed ground beef. Sports bar and loads of TV's. Loads of restaurants on Main Street in Middletown.

You didn't state your age and that can make a difference as well

Last edited by JimG2; 09-23-2018 at 04:43 PM..

Old 09-23-2018, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG2 View Post
Truth is, not sure about New Haven, but not much goes on around greater Hartford during the week in the evenings to get too excited about. I'd recommend Chicago Sam's in Cromwell. Not too far from Meriden. I think Monday and Tuesday they have a $12 prime rib special...not the best cut, but beats steamed ground beef. Sports bar and loads of TV's. Loads of restaurants on Main Street in Middletown.

You didn't state your age and that can make a difference as well
Thanks for the additional tips! As for my stats that might help, 37 year old married white male. Into the stuff I mentioned before, not really a drinker or party type. Into sports and techy stuff, so I dig things like Top Golf, Dave & Busters, a good baseball or football game, etc. Planning on visiting the Yale campus while I’m here just to say I haveamd get the T-shirt. So mostly into foodie type restaurants and some shopping. The obligatory something for the wife since she’s at home still is in order, too.

Old 09-23-2018, 06:35 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,425,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post

Beat me to it - Ted's is a must! Working in Meriden it could be lunch, leaving evening open. Don't skip the home fries with your burger.

Old 09-23-2018, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiree2011 View Post
Beat me to it - Ted's is a must! Working in Meriden it could be lunch, leaving evening open. Don't skip the home fries with your burger.
Hmm. Just checked and Ted’s is 10 min from where I’ll be filming all week. Will have to see how long we break for lunch, but that seems doable.

Old 09-23-2018, 07:10 PM

21,734 posts, read 28,065,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRU_Minion View Post
Thanks for the additional tips! As for my stats that might help, 37 year old married white male. Into the stuff I mentioned before, not really a drinker or party type. Into sports and techy stuff, so I dig things like Top Golf, Dave & Busters, a good baseball or football game, etc. Planning on visiting the Yale campus while I’m here just to say I haveamd get the T-shirt. So mostly into foodie type restaurants and some shopping. The obligatory something for the wife since she’s at home still is in order, too.
Unfortunately not many sporting events to choose from, especially this time of year.

No Dave & Busters. There’s one opening in Milford but not for a few months. There’s a Barcade in New Haven if you’re into retro arcade machines and pinball.

You could check out the ropes course at Jordan Furniture. Yes, a furniture store has the largest indoor ropes course in the world.

https://www.jordans.com/attractions/it

These food tours are popular: https://tasteofnewhaven.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut