Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 09:47 PM

12 posts, read 66,084 times

Advertisements

My family and I are considering a relocation to the Groton area. We're looking for a nice neighborhood with good schools (public and/or private) and activities for the kids. Our kids are ages 9, 6, and 2. Good schools are critical as our 9 year-old is currently in our district's gifted program and we'd like to make sure he gets a similar challenge. He also plays in our area's travel soccer league and I'd be looking for a good soccer club for him.

We're looking for someting in the 450K to 650K range, an acre of land, 4-5 bedrooms, preferrably newer construction, and a neighborhood with kids within 25 miles of Groton. Any ideas would be great. Are the private schools in the area good? How to they rank compared to the area's public schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 10:20 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,627,383 times
For what you describe, I would suggest Essex, Old Saybrook, and maybe Stonington and Old Lyme. You would probably do well with one or two towns in western Rhode Island, too.

Essex and Old Saybrook are the only two I would give a solid recommendation. I don't know Stonington well, but it might fit your needs.

The public schools in those towns are very good (I have no knowledge of Stonington). Unless you're considering Choate Rosemary Hall, The Hopkins School, or Loomis Chafee, you're not going to do much better than the town high schools... But your kids aren't that age yet.

If you are in a position to make some visits to these towns, that's really the best way to get a feel for them. Also, check out some of the photography on the Web. I am falling asleep at the wheel here, so I need to apologize for not being more informative.

Good night, and good luck.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:08 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Most of the towns in the Groton area are small and while they school systems are good, they may not have the programs you are looking for. Check out the link below for information on each town to see which one offers the programs you are looking for.

Strategic School Profiles by District

That said, I agree that Essex and Old Lyme have good schools. They perform above state averages on the Connecticut Mastery and Academic Performance tests. You might also check out Salem. Good luck, Jay

Old 04-03-2008, 07:39 PM

12 posts, read 66,084 times
How are the private schools in the area? Good Catholic schools?

Old 04-03-2008, 08:55 PM

Sorry to say, I have no idea on that one. There's a 7-12 school called The Williams School in New London but it looks secular. The schools I mentioned before are pretty far from Groton, and also secular. Sacred Heart and Xavier are private Catholic schools, but they're in Middletown/Middlefield. Maybe look in western Rhode Island?

This place is sandwiched between Connecticut College and the U.S. Coast Guard Academy:
The Williams School - New London, CT

Old 04-04-2008, 06:03 PM

4 posts, read 17,506 times
Default catholic and secular schools

St Barnards is in Uncasville. I cannot comment on the quality, I would say it is middle with a wide range. Xavier and Mercy are up closer to middletown and have very strong reputations.

Pinepoint school in Stonington is k-9 (I think) and is one of the best secular schools in the area.
Williams is another one of the best secular schools. That is in New London.
The Country Day School in Madison , is my vote for hands down best school period. k to 8.

Public schools, I live in Old lyme, is pretty good if you kids are motivated, but there is a good number of less than high achievers, very nice folks, in the mix. It depends on what is important. No diversity.

East Lyme has some pretty impressive programs. No diversity.

Stonnington is diverse and also provides a lot of programmign optiosn

Old 04-04-2008, 08:19 PM

19 posts, read 61,287 times
I'd strongly suggest East Lyme out of anything anyone else's mentioned. From what I know they have one of the strongest soccer programs in that part of the state (if you want quality soccer though, it's in Hartford, New Haven and Fairfield counties), and also have excellent schools. Ledyard could be an option as well, as could possibly Colchester, although that may be too far. Essex is good too.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:31 AM

539 posts, read 2,102,136 times
The Country Day School in Madison has a fantastic reputation. I had looked into this school but had decided that the commute (we were in central CT) was going to be too difficult. My son is gifted as well and I was most impressed with their programs.

Mercy and Xavier are excellent choices as well. I have known many families who have sent their children there and have nothing but wonderful things to say about these schools. I do believe they are only high school age though.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:53 AM

FYI, if you were living in Old Lyme, Essex, or Old Saybrook, Mercy and Xavier would be pretty accessible via Route 9. They are in the opposite direction of Groton from those towns.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:29 AM

66 posts, read 217,031 times
Have you considered the towns of Madison and Guilford? Great towns, schools, lots of activities for kids, proximity to restaurants and shopping. House prices are coming down and are more affordable than several years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut