Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 01:40 PM

21 posts, read 44,407 times

Advertisements

I am looking for the best (cheapest) way to come to Bridgeport. Someone said I should fly into JFK or LGA and get a taxi. I believe taxi will be very expensive (I am a graduate student). I still have a couple of weeks before my trip. What do you suggest? Do you think there is a cheaper option?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 02:00 PM

246 posts, read 872,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by specificspark View Post
I am looking for the best (cheapest) way to come to Bridgeport. Someone said I should fly into JFK or LGA and get a taxi. I believe taxi will be very expensive (I am a graduate student). I still have a couple of weeks before my trip. What do you suggest? Do you think there is a cheaper option?
The airports near Bridgeport I will list from closest to furthest:

Tweed New Haven Airport (20 minutes from Bridgeport, limited service and pricey)
White Plains Airport (35 minutes from Bridgeport, small, convenient and sometimes more pricey)
LGA (1 hr to Bridgeport)
JFK (1 hr, 10 mins to Bridgeport, usually the cheapest option)
Bradley (1 hour, 15 mins to Bridgeport, usually more expensive than NY airports and more limited service)

You can have Connecticut Limo pick you up at any of the airports. I believe the cost is around $75 each way give or take. For the price of a round trip CT limo, you can rent a car with a GPS for a few days.

Connecticut Limo

Old 04-03-2008, 03:00 PM

271 posts, read 1,278,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by specificspark View Post
JFK would be the easiest. You would take the air train from JFK to Jamaica Station. From Jamaica Station you could either take the Long Island Railroad or subway into Manhattan. The subway is less expensive but slower. If you chose the subway take the E train since it is express part of the way. You would take the E train to 42nd Street and transfer to the Shuttle train which will bring you to Grand Central.

In Grand Central you will find the Metro-North commuter train to Connecticut. It will drop you off in downtown Bridgeport. Check the schedule online.

If you fly into Laguardia you will need to take the M60 bus to Manhattan. You would get off at the Metro-North train station 125th street and Park Ave. Ask the bus driver and he/she will let you know when you get there.

AirTrain JFK > Home

Maps schedule for Metro-North, LIRR, and Subway

MTA Home Page

Old 04-03-2008, 03:08 PM

201 posts, read 727,179 times
Default amtrak or metro north train

Take the train from JFK. You can take the local train to the amtrak station from NYC and then there are directs to Bridgeport. A car service will cost about $100ish. Go to the Amtrak site. You could actually go the subway to Grandcentral and take the local train to Bridgeport but it will take longer but would be cheaper. Look at MTA.com metro north goes to Bridgeport. My MIL does it all the time. The White Plains airport is very expensive and there is no mass transit from the airport only car services that are very expensive. From Detroit the tickets to White plains are about $200. more than flying into LaGuardia or JFK.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:09 PM

21 posts, read 44,407 times
Default Thank you

Thank you to all that responded. I need to get used to using the train having lived all my life in places that do not run on trains.

Thank you once again.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:35 PM

246 posts, read 872,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reason180 View Post
JFK would be the easiest. You would take the air train from JFK to Jamaica Station. From Jamaica Station you could either take the Long Island Railroad or subway into Manhattan. The subway is less expensive but slower. If you chose the subway take the E train since it is express part of the way. You would take the E train to 42nd Street and transfer to the Shuttle train which will bring you to Grand Central.

In Grand Central you will find the Metro-North commuter train to Connecticut. It will drop you off in downtown Bridgeport. Check the schedule online.

If you fly into Laguardia you will need to take the M60 bus to Manhattan. You would get off at the Metro-North train station 125th street and Park Ave. Ask the bus driver and he/she will let you know when you get there.

AirTrain JFK > Home

Maps schedule for Metro-North, LIRR, and Subway

MTA Home Page
This is such a hassle. I did it last month and the trip from JFK to South Norwalk was over 2 hours, whereas driving is about 50 minutes.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:33 PM

32 posts, read 111,160 times
There easy and then there is cheap.

If you need cheap then fly to LGA, get into Manhattan, and take the MetroNorth.

If you need easy then there are a few options:

1. Fly to HPN (White Plains) if you don't mind a connection somewhere. Then take a taxi to Bridgeport.

2. Fly to LGA or BDL and take the CT Limo.

3. Fly to New Haven (I believe US Air still flies there) and take a taxi or the Metro North.

Or we can get really creative and have you fly to Islip, LI, taxi to Port Jeff, and take the ferry to Bridgeport - OK had to throw that out there as an option!

Bridgeport is not the safest town in the world (sorry but its true) so whatever you do be safe.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:03 AM

31 posts, read 144,839 times
I have flown from new haven (tweed) to Houston before. I had to switch planes in Philly and while it was more expensive than a flight from NYC, it cost me around $400, the convenience was great. The subway ride will take you about an hour and metro north will take you about 80 mins.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:10 PM

639 posts, read 2,710,416 times
Quote:
This is such a hassle. I did it last month and the trip from JFK to South Norwalk was over 2 hours, whereas driving is about 50 minutes.

Yeah, try driving any time during the day and making it in 50 minutes. I could see a late night flight may be worth driving, but not during the morning, afternoon, or evening.

My suggestion is to fly into New Haven if you can find a decent fare or fly into Hartford and rent a car or have someone pick you up. Priceline does wonders for car rentals.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:06 PM

639 posts, read 2,710,416 times
Depending on where in Texas you are, you can fly from Houston, Dallas, or Austin directly into New Haven anywhere from $300-$375 middle of May. Woth it IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut