Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 05:48 PM

83,527 posts, read 75,355,132 times

Advertisements

Last yr was bad in CT. Will this yr be too?

We only had 2 weeks this winter that was cold enough to kill bugs so it wasn't long enough. Then we just had the wettest February on record with lots of rain...

https://twitter.com/SamKantrow/statu...42908671889408

Quote:
And why would you after such a cold winter? Unfortunately it was not cold enough, and it didn’t last long enough to make a dent in the tick population. The proof can be seen at the Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station’s tick testing lab, where staff are busy dealing with the 40 ticks they’ve gotten from bite victims in Connecticut…over the last two days alone!

Dr. Goudarz Molaei of the Tick Testing Lab at the Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station warned, “It is quite alarming to see this many ticks in two days at this time of the year and that spells trouble for the weeks and months ahead of us.”

So what does the future hold?

“I predict that we are going unfortunately to have a year with abundant ticks similar to last year.” stated Molaei

Meaning it will only get worse as we head into spring, so make sure you inspect yourself, your kids, and especially your pets every time you go outside before you come back inside
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2018, 07:15 PM

710 posts, read 402,862 times
This is THE reason why I'm always rooting for very cold winters.

Old 02-28-2018, 07:24 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,835,714 times
If you can keep them on your property and are so inclined, get chickens or other similar type birds like chukars, guinea fowl etc. They are hell on ticks. Our neighbor's free ranging chickens from both sides decimated our tick population for multiple generations. When we first moved here 6 years ago we couldn't go out into the yard for any length of time w/o getting ticks on us. Enter neighbor's chickens and 3 years later the ticks are still not common. Unfortunately the west neighbor's flock was decimated by coyotes but the east neighbor's flock is growing. They are welcome.

Old 02-28-2018, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Cathy View Post
If you can keep them on your property and are so inclined, get chickens or other similar type birds like chukars, guinea fowl etc. They are hell on ticks. Our neighbor's free ranging chickens from both sides decimated our tick population for multiple generations. When we first moved here 6 years ago we couldn't go out into the yard for any length of time w/o getting ticks on us. Enter neighbor's chickens and 3 years later the ticks are still not common. Unfortunately the west neighbor's flock was decimated by coyotes but the east neighbor's flock is growing. They are welcome.
Question. Do you need these chickens to roam around every part of the property all the time or would they"take care of them" for couple hours a day? Still would mean you need to fence in your entire property though. I like the idea of chickens vs chemicals

Old 02-28-2018, 08:40 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,947,273 times
Seems like every year is a bad year for ticks, no matter what the winter is like.

Old 02-28-2018, 03:32 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,835,714 times
Our neighbors chickens roam, no fence and seem to have sense about the road but its not too busy of a road. I've not seen them cross it. They go home to roost in the evening. Chickens do this seemingly naturally but the habit can be reinforced with a bit of grain feeding in the evening. They come in to get their goodies at dusk. Our neighbor then shuts them up after they are in for the evening, lets them out in the morning. Our west neighbor did the same thing but the coyotes got their chickens one by one over a year's time.

It was great. A little chicken poo on the walk that we had to hose off but the ticks and other insect pests were goners. They will also eat small rodents and snakes. Plus they lay eggs.

Old 02-28-2018, 06:55 PM

442 posts, read 456,176 times
Last year was supposedly bad, but not for us. I found on tick on one of my kids. None on the dog or cat. And we live in the woods. Let's hope this year is the same!

Old 10-01-2018, 06:36 PM

Very wet spring and summer and a warm summer and fall...not helping the bug, mosquito and tick population. On top of that, a new form has been found.

https://twitter.com/HamdenPatch/stat...18899286069248

Old 10-02-2018, 07:53 AM

538 posts, read 331,691 times
April 2017 was the first time we saw ticks on the kids from playing in the backyard. I think the first warm weekend that month we found 3 total. Since then I've been getting the yard sprayed for ticks/mosquitos and the rest of 2017 didn't see another tick. This year we saw 1 tick in July (on a yard toy). I'll keep getting the yard sprayed since the tick situation doesn't seem to be getting better. Doesn't help we get lots a wildlife coming through the backyard either.

Old 10-08-2018, 06:10 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,498,864 times
This year was a lot better than last. We did keep the dog on his Advantix II but I kept the yard covered with either a insecticide or granules to keep them away. That and my new 8hp walk behind blower helps keep the woodline clear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut