Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 05:44 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Exactly. As I stated, this snake has a vested interest in state politics. All it takes is a small amount of research to see his pattern of attempts at downplaying the tax wrath of his party. And to think people fall for it.
Again you questioning the author of the article but that changes nothing in the conclusions of these analyses. Those analyses are not tied to state politics. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2018, 06:51 PM

6,569 posts, read 4,962,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I was shocked to find that in Nashville you will pay 12% on purchases over $1,600. That's insane.
Serious question - how often do people buy things over $1600? My last computer may have been right around there. My 2003 computer was. The two in the middle were not. Two cars from 1987 (new) to 2017 (used) were over $1600.

And my roof. But that was a service so I'm not sure that counts.

Old 10-09-2018, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Serious question - how often do people buy things over $1600? My last computer may have been right around there. My 2003 computer was. The two in the middle were not. Two cars from 1987 (new) to 2017 (used) were over $1600.

And my roof. But that was a service so I'm not sure that counts.
How about a car? Think it is obscene to have to pay $1,200 on a $10,000 used car or $3,600 on a $30,000 car. It may not be often but it is often enough. Heck some people buy or lease cars every 3 years. Jay

Old 10-09-2018, 07:29 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
How about a car? Think it is obscene to have to pay $1,200 on a $10,000 used car or $3,600 on a $30,000 car. It may not be often but it is often enough. Heck some people buy or lease cars every 3 years. Jay
Yeah - how about a car? That thing you pay insane personal property tax on per year, which is far higher than most other states, in CT. In TN, it’s a one time thing. In CT, it’s every year.

Old 10-09-2018, 07:56 PM

6,569 posts, read 4,962,654 times
Quote:
How about a car? Think it is obscene to have to pay $1,200 on a $10,000 used ca r or $3,600 on a $30,000 car. It may not be often but it is often enough. Heck some people buy or lease cars every 3 years. Jay
Yeah, all my cars but one have been used, and cheap, and I run them forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Yeah - how about a car? That thing you pay insane personal property tax on per year, which is far higher than most other states, in CT. In TN, it’s a one time thing. In CT, it’s every year.
It's not a flat 12%

"Sales Tax
State Sales Tax is 7% of purchase price less total value of trade in.
Local Sales Tax is 2.25% of the first $1,600. This amount is never to exceed $36.00. For. purchases in excess of $1,600, an additional state tax of 2.75% is added up to a. maximum of $44.
Local collection fee is $1."

It seems to vary by county. It would be $2180 in Davidson county http://www.nashvilleclerk.com/sales-tax-calculator/

$1905 in CT (both for a 30K car)

CT registration $50/yr
TN registration $26.50 - I assume this is yearly since I couldn't find anything that said otherwise.

Using Simsbury as an example, property tax on that same car is $765 for the first year. (I only used Simsbury because it came up first and had a nifty calculator)

Tennessee does not have an annual property tax on cars that I could find. Based on a 2018 WalletHub chart, there are 24 states without a motor vehicle property tax.

Old 10-09-2018, 08:27 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Yeah, all my cars but one have been used, and cheap, and I run them forever.

It's not a flat 12%

"Sales Tax
State Sales Tax is 7% of purchase price less total value of trade in.
Local Sales Tax is 2.25% of the first $1,600. This amount is never to exceed $36.00. For. purchases in excess of $1,600, an additional state tax of 2.75% is added up to a. maximum of $44.
Local collection fee is $1."

It seems to vary by county. It would be $2180 in Davidson county Sales Tax Calculator | Davidson County Clerk

$1905 in CT (both for a 30K car)

CT registration $50/yr
TN registration $26.50 - I assume this is yearly since I couldn't find anything that said otherwise.

Using Simsbury as an example, property tax on that same car is $765 for the first year. (I only used Simsbury because it came up first and had a nifty calculator)

Tennessee does not have an annual property tax on cars that I could find. Based on a 2018 WalletHub chart, there are 24 states without a motor vehicle property tax.
Yep. And the only state with a similar motor vehicle property tax rate to CT is VA (assessments are similar). But in VA, home property tax is significantly less so it’s still better.

Old 10-09-2018, 10:26 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Quote:
You are making an assumption that those states are at the national average but they could be higher. Remember Oklahoma is an oil state so I would guess they get a high percentage from their oil production. Iowa is a farm state which gets massive federal subsidies. Plus the incomes of those states are both significantly lower. Iowa’s median income is $56,000; Oklahoma is $49,000 while Connecticut is $73,000.

On top of this you are making the same mistake the Tax Foundation made. You are only looking at the state budget. As I said, our state does not have counties and takes on many of the duties that counties in those other states do so you need to add the county budgets to the state budgets if you are even to come close to an equatable comparison. Jay
Jay, there could be many reasons for the difference but it looks from this post you are simply throwing out all possible excuses. For instance, Oklahoma and Iowa may be higher then the national average but they also could be lower. And while the costs of county government can add up (I should know), it is not the main tax burden and it does not excuse Connecticut from having a budget of 20.5 Billion while Iowa has 8.5 billion just because Iowa has actual functioning counties.

At the end of the day, what it comes down is spending. Connecticut has 50% of the combined population of Iowa and Oklahoma but the Connecticut State government spends 134% of the combined amount that Iowa and Oklahoma spend. No amount of farm subsidies or county government is going to make up for that.

Btw, I am not necessarily saying that is always a bad thing. I personally rather live in a state like Connecticut than say Oklahoma. But it comes with a heavy cost.

Old 10-10-2018, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Jay, there could be many reasons for the difference but it looks from this post you are simply throwing out all possible excuses. For instance, Oklahoma and Iowa may be higher then the national average but they also could be lower. And while the costs of county government can add up (I should know), it is not the main tax burden and it does not excuse Connecticut from having a budget of 20.5 Billion while Iowa has 8.5 billion just because Iowa has actual functioning counties.

At the end of the day, what it comes down is spending. Connecticut has 50% of the combined population of Iowa and Oklahoma but the Connecticut State government spends 134% of the combined amount that Iowa and Oklahoma spend. No amount of farm subsidies or county government is going to make up for that.

Btw, I am not necessarily saying that is always a bad thing. I personally rather live in a state like Connecticut than say Oklahoma. But it comes with a heavy cost.
It is not excuses. It is an explanation. Yes, our state spends a lot of money but if you compare it to other northeast states, our spending is in line with them. Also note that as the article explains, there are other factors that should be compared but the often mentioned Tax Foundation study does not consider them. It is kind of clear this is a complex question that requires more than just a look at the taxes paid.

As to whether the lack of a county government adds much to our state budget, I would like you to note that Dade County Florida with a population of 2.6 million has a county budget of $7.4 billion.

http://www.miamidade.gov/budget/libr...ve-summary.pdf

Nassau County has 1.3 million people and its county budget is $3 billion.

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/...sau-1.21094343

So you can see, the duties conducted by counties can be expensive. It is only logical that our state has to spend more than other states that have county governments. Whether it is a justifiable amount is another question. Jay

Old 10-10-2018, 01:50 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,829,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post

State to state budget analysis don't mean anything unless you include Federal reimbursements. CT sends at least 20% more to the Fed Treasury than we receive back.

That alone would pump our budget to $24 billion, but instead because we are a wealthy state we are left to pick up the tab. OK IA and other states are benefiting from our success.

Old 10-11-2018, 09:40 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Quote:
It is not excuses. It is an explanation. Yes, our state spends a lot of money but if you compare it to other northeast states, our spending is in line with them. Also note that as the article explains, there are other factors that should be compared but the often mentioned Tax Foundation study does not consider them. It is kind of clear this is a complex question that requires more than just a look at the taxes paid.

As to whether the lack of a county government adds much to our state budget, I would like you to note that Dade County Florida with a population of 2.6 million has a county budget of $7.4 billion.

http://www.miamidade.gov/budget/libr...ve-summary.pdf

Nassau County has 1.3 million people and its county budget is $3 billion.

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/...sau-1.21094343

So you can see, the duties conducted by counties can be expensive. It is only logical that our state has to spend more than other states that have county governments. Whether it is a justifiable amount is another question. Jay
I am not familiar with the situation with Miami-Dade except that in general, county governments in the South are much more important, and local governments less so, than in the Northeast.

As for Nassau County, you just happened to pick the #2 or the #5 (depending on what you read) most expensive county in the United States when it comes to taxes, which happens to be in the most taxed states in the nation.

But that is not what I am really getting at when I say county government is not expensive. Here in New York, the percentage of property taxes that goes to county governments is about 17%. At the same time, the town taxes may be less, because for example, the county may run the police department instead of the local town. It may vary widely across the state because many counties Upstate have much less responsibilities.

The real problem is not the county taxes, the town taxes or the special district taxes, its the school taxes which eats up about 2/3rds of all local property taxes. So if someone has a $10,000 dollar a year tax bill, about $1700 goes to the county, $740 to the town and a whopping $6200 to the school district. It is the schools that are the real tax problem in New York, not the counties and the local governments.

https://tax.ny.gov/pit/property/learn/proptax.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
View detailed profiles of: