Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 08:06 PM

21,752 posts, read 28,086,032 times

Advertisements

If you take the train you can live in Stratford or West Haven and have an easy commute.

It’s getting from train station to work in Westport you have to figure out. There’s minimal public transportation within Westport
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 08:10 PM

417 posts, read 600,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itchyforehead View Post
Do you know of any currently active Facebook groups for people looking for roommates in the Stamford/Norwalk area? I've been checking Craigslist and the few groups I found on Facebook aren't roommate focused, they're buying and selling groups with a few posts for people wanting a room or wanting a roommate.

I actually don't mind a little longer commute if that means I can live alone, but I want to keep all of my options open. I wouldn't mind taking the train to and from work too vs driving if that opens up more possibilities for me to live alone.
I'm not aware of any FB groups, unfortunately. If you really don't mind commuting close to an hour each way I would check out New Haven (I know east rock and areas around Yale are nice, but I'm sure others are much better versed than I with the neighborhoods in New Haven). You may be able to save some money on rent and budget it towards transportation as well.

I know you mentioned that you aren't too concerned with nightlife/social scenes, but New Haven probably has the most to offer for 20-somethings in CT.

Also, as Stylo mentioned, you should consider how far your work is from the Westport train station. You'll likely have to uber if it's outside of walking distance and that'll add up real fast. There are commuter shuttles but I'm not sure what the fares and routes look like.

edit:
https://www.norwalktransit.com/westport/

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...s+New+Logo.pdf

seems like the routes cover a lot of ground and there may be door-door service as well (probably at an additional cost).

Last edited by RiskReturn; 10-22-2018 at 08:28 PM..

Old 10-22-2018, 08:24 PM

Unfortunately New Haven has gotten fairly expensive, $1k doesn't go very far. Being in West Haven close to New Haven is a good compromise, as rent can be pretty cheap there. I would've recommended Milford as an option, but finding an apartment for $1k might be tough. Worth trying though.

Old 10-22-2018, 08:27 PM

417 posts, read 600,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Unfortunately New Haven has gotten fairly expensive, $1k doesn't go very far. Being in West Haven close to New Haven is a good compromise, as rent can be pretty cheap there. I would've recommended Milford as an option, but finding an apartment for $1k might be tough. Worth trying though.
Ah, I guess I shouldn't be that surprised. The city has definitely come a long way.

Old 10-22-2018, 08:32 PM

7 posts, read 8,710 times
Quote:
If you take the train you can live in Stratford or West Haven and have an easy commute.

It’s getting from train station to work in Westport you have to figure out. There’s minimal public transportation within Westport
My office is around 1.2 miles away from the station which wouldn't be a problem during warmer months, but I can already hear myself complaining about needing to make that walk during the winter. I'll be visiting in January so I can try out a few of the commutes for myself and the walk to and from the train station and maybe the walk won't be so bad

Old 10-23-2018, 05:22 AM

91 posts, read 76,977 times
Try and check out Danbury. It's 21 miles from Westport which is 40 minutes. A bonus to that is you avoid I95 and travel down less congrested route 7. Danbury is suburban witch is nice but the catch is you also have all your big box shopping needs plus the second largest mall in CT ever is located here! I would also check out the Derby/Ansonia area as well. Goodluck!

Old 10-23-2018, 05:50 AM

7 posts, read 8,710 times
Thanks everyone for the helpful advice so far. I'll be checking out affordability in the areas suggested and begin narrowing down my list of places to visit on my trip to Westport.

Old 10-23-2018, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWCT_NY_PRIDE_ View Post
Try and check out Danbury. It's 21 miles from Westport which is 40 minutes. A bonus to that is you avoid I95 and travel down less congrested route 7. Danbury is suburban witch is nice but the catch is you also have all your big box shopping needs plus the second largest mall in CT ever is located here! I would also check out the Derby/Ansonia area as well. Goodluck!
I did that commute for a while, Route 7 is unnecessarily stressful, especially in winter. For Westport I would prefer Stratford. It’s a short stretch of traffic and you aren’t on constant alert on a 2 lane road.

OP, forgot to mention Black Rock. Great option, though $1k might be tough.

Old 10-23-2018, 07:00 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
Quote:
I see rents in New Haven as low $775 but it more in unsafe areas

Old 10-23-2018, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
I see rents in New Haven as low $775 but it more in unsafe areas
Oh jeez. No. Stay away. If it’s that cheap there’s a reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut