Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 01:09 PM

3,350 posts, read 4,168,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
When I saw this article I thought to restart this thread. I know that Dannel Malloy is the lowest rated Governor in the country but here he defends his record.

Whether you like him or not, you have to admit that he was handed a horrible mess 8 years ago. The state finances were long a serious problem ignored by both parties and the economy here and nationally was the worst in 70 years.

Soon after taking office, he was criticized by opponents and unknowledgeable people for approving going ahead with the construction of the New Britain-Hartford Busway (now called CTfastrak) even though the project was conceived, designed and funded under his Republican predecessors after a lengthy and very public approval process. What politician in their right mind would turn down hundreds of millions of dollars in Federal money in the middle of a recession, especially when it was a long time coming and despite what some think or wrongly say, could not be used for other purposes?

Of course there was the inexcusable GE debacle (using a Pratt & Whitney engine photo in a presentation to rival GE) and the near loss of Aetna. Also the ridiculous closing of rest centers around the state to save what is really pennies (can we say childish publicity stunt?). But the biggest issue with his term is pushing taxes even higher and committing the state to no further concessions or layoffs for 10 years with the State Employee unions.

I could go on but what do you think? Was he as bad as some claim? Or was he just dealt a bad hand that just got worse? IS the state better off today than 8 years ago? Jay

https://ctmirror.org/2018/12/11/mall...a6ce4-68207705
Indefensible. Looking forward to dumping my house at a loss and heading to FL in ~5 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2018, 03:08 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,722,408 times
So sick of hearing "He inherited a mess!" To quote Tony Soprano, "Awwww, poor you."

Many politicians inherit a mess. It's how you handle it that matters. In the case of our current administration, he did what many predicted he would do: tax, tax, tax and keep parroting the line about how we're so superior to the rest of the country. Maybe we are, just not with respect to fiscal solvency, and that's a big drawback that will cost us and haunt us for years.

The state is absolutely worse off now than it was 8 years ago. Anyone who fails to realize this is a delusional fiscal liberal. Wake up, folks. Malloy screwed the prostitute, and everyone else got the clap.

Last edited by MikefromCT; 12-12-2018 at 04:17 PM..

Old 12-12-2018, 05:03 PM

34,936 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
So sick of hearing "He inherited a mess!" To quote Tony Soprano, "Awwww, poor you."

Many politicians inherit a mess. It's how you handle it that matters. In the case of our current administration, he did what many predicted he would do: tax, tax, tax and keep parroting the line about how we're so superior to the rest of the country. Maybe we are, just not with respect to fiscal solvency, and that's a big drawback that will cost us and haunt us for years.

The state is absolutely worse off now than it was 8 years ago. Anyone who fails to realize this is either delusional or a liberal Democratic political analyst, if not both. Wake up, folks. Malloy screwed the prostitute, and everyone else got the clap.
Uhhh.... the facts say otherwise. In 2010 the unemployment rate was 9.3%. Today it is 4.2%. Back then our Rainy Day Fund was running low. Today it is approaching $2 billion. The number of people making over $100,000 per year has increased and we now have two additional billionaires on the Forbes 400 List. I would say that these key facts prove we are in better shape today than we were in 2010.

And I am neither dilusional or a liberal Democratic political analyst. I am a moderate Republican who does not blindly buy the partisan BS of either party or the so called independent groups with really not so hidden agendas throw around.

That said, I agree that many politicians inherit a mess and it is how it is handled that matters. Malloy could have done much better. I believe he thought the Connecticut economy would have recovered sooner and stronger than it did. Big mistake. He kept trying to make up for poorer than expected revenue which only recently appears to be happening. I also agree that what happened will haunt us for many years just the same as what previous Governors Rell, Rowland, Weicker, O’Neill and Grasso did is haunting us today. Jay

Old 12-12-2018, 05:50 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
The state is absolutely worse off now than it was 8 years ago. Anyone who fails to realize this is a delusional fiscal liberal. Wake up, folks. Malloy screwed the prostitute, and everyone else got the clap.
Correct. Unlike when he came, Ct now has a higher unemployment rate than the nation overall. That is what I would expect in Mississippi, not a supposed superb state for business.

We under performed relative to the nation during the horrible reign of error of Dan Malloy.

He earned the least popular governor pol numbers he is leaving with.

Old 12-12-2018, 06:00 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,722,408 times
Quote:
Uhhh.... the facts say otherwise. In 2010 the unemployment rate was 9.3%. Today it is 4.2%. Back then our Rainy Day Fund was running low. Today it is approaching $2 billion. The number of people making over $100,000 per year has increased and we now have two additional billionaires on the Forbes 400 List. I would say that these key facts prove we are in better shape today than we were in 2010.
And yet our state’s budget deficit continues to balloon, taxes continue to rise to no avail, and we continue to lose residents of all age demographics to states that don’t believe the answer to every budget problem is to raid people’s wallets. Not a “the sky is falling” hysteria, just the facts. And I, like many people, have grown tired of defending this state. Why should we? Our quality of life hasn’t risen with each successive tax hike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT
And I am neither dilusional or a liberal Democratic political analyst. I am a moderate Republican who does not blindly buy the partisan BS of either party or the so called independent groups with really not so hidden agendas throw around.
Saying that our state, from a fiscal standpoint, is a national embarrassment is not BS or even an exaggeration. And Malloy’s rhetoric does not nearly match the level of this crisis.

Old 12-12-2018, 06:19 PM

Quote:
And yet our state’s budget deficit continues to balloon, taxes continue to rise to no avail, and we continue to lose residents of all age demographics to states that don’t believe the answer to every budget problem is to raid people’s wallets. Not a “the sky is falling” hysteria, just the facts. And I, like many people, have grown tired of defending this state. Why should we? Our quality of life hasn’t risen with each successive tax hike.

Old 12-12-2018, 06:34 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,834,850 times
Quote:

Can you list here what a Republican Gov would have done differently in the last 8 years ? That person most likely would have been Tom Foley. I can't imagine him accomplishing anything, but maybe you have a different person in mind.

Old 12-12-2018, 10:45 PM

34,936 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Correct. Unlike when he came, Ct now has a higher unemployment rate than the nation overall. That is what I would expect in Mississippi, not a supposed superb state for business.

We under performed relative to the nation during the horrible reign of error of Dan Malloy.

He earned the least popular governor pol numbers he is leaving with.
Oh come on now. An unemployment rate of 4.2% is hardly horrible. In fact it is considered close to full employment. Regaining more than 113% of the private sector jobs lost in the recession is also not bad. In fact it is pretty darn good by any standard. Where our job numbers fail is public sector jobs which has not recovered. BUT wait, those jobs are primarily funded by taxes. Aren’t those the jobs you want to be eliminated or restored to lower taxes??? You can’t have it both ways you know

You are right that during the recession Connecticut had an unemployment rate under the national average. I believe it peaked at 9.8% while those places that are touted for great job growth had double digit rates. Florida peaked at 11.3%. Nevada had rates of 13.7%. With those rates and ridiculously low wages, of course those states had great job growth. I would much rather have an economy that does not get hit as hard during recessions than a boom and bust economy. Jay

Old 12-13-2018, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Oh come on now. An unemployment rate of 4.2% is hardly horrible.
We should be at, or below, the national average. Under Malloy, we were not.

Or do we expect under performance from this clown?

Malloy earned his historic tragic rating.

Old 12-13-2018, 03:46 AM

377 posts, read 241,149 times
Malloy is a left leaning Democrat. He is kind of light left compared to some of the new breed of Democrats , some of whom are approaching the national stage due to DTS.

That being said, the expectations for Democrats is a high focus on Social Justice , and a tax anything that moves philosophy.

But to be fair, nothing that he has done has directly affected the quality of life of people I know. The same can be said of the current administration in DC. Sure, my opinion is that Democrats are responsible for driving CT into the guard rails economically , but he , and his Democratic cohorts were elected by the people. That’s our system . The only response would be to modify our own behavior when possible to mitigate the damages if there are any.

He had tough decisions to make, and stood tall when he was faced with tragedy like Sandy Hook. It isn’t any easy job. Politicians are beholden to their supporters and ideology , that’s the nature of the game. As an individual, he overcame personal issues and advanced to a prestigious position. For that I respect him.

I never voted for him, and rarely agreed with much of his platform, but it could have been worse. We are a deep blue state , that isn’t going to change , because it appears that’s what the voters want. I don’t blame Malloy for our problems as much as I blame the voters in CT for electing him, and electing the parade of Democratic politicians who have been working in concert to destroy the status quo. The party leaders nationally have now begun to tell us how morality applies to issues that will define our future. The elites just will not back off the throttle, and indeed , are putting the pedal to the metal. That’s a scarier reality than 8 years of Malloy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut