Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What makes you say so?
Any Democrat would be as bad as Malloy in any scenario 5 12.20%
Both Malloy and Lamont are worse than most Democrats 5 12.20%
In another time and place Democrats might not do much damage, but right now CT needs Republican leadership 6 14.63%
I'm not opposed to Lamont 12 29.27%
I don't support Lamont, but he might at least be better than Malloy 13 31.71%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 03:34 PM

91 posts, read 124,782 times

Advertisements

There's been a lot of doom and gloom both here and on Facebook. It seems everyone who hates Malloy is immediately saying that Lamont will be just as bad, though there's clearly areas with Democratic governors that aren't in as bad shape as CT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2018, 03:48 PM

33,755 posts, read 16,757,545 times
Malloy was Ct's worst Democratic governor ever. Lamont should make Malloy the 2nd worst in the next years.

Ct has a SPENDING problem. DM never addressed it in any meaningful way.

Giving Ct more revenue is like buying Andy Griffin character Otis Campbell a still.

Old 11-08-2018, 03:50 PM

We witnessed Lamont before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMxJtMoTnx8

Old 11-08-2018, 06:25 PM

1,678 posts, read 1,110,558 times
I'd love to see charts of our per capita spending vs all other 49 states.

Old 11-08-2018, 07:02 PM

845 posts, read 671,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Malloy was Ct's worst Democratic governor ever. Lamont should make Malloy the 2nd worst in the next years.

Ct has a SPENDING problem. DM never addressed it in any meaningful way.

Giving Ct more revenue is like buying Andy Griffin character Otis Campbell a still.
Malloy slowed the rate of growth of non-discretionary spending. Under Rell/Rowland it was near 5%, under Malloy it was 2%, which is keeping on pace with inflation. The reason why spending went up so much is because of the state retirement plans. You can't cut those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthegoldengod View Post
I'd love to see charts of our per capita spending vs all other 49 states.

Old 11-08-2018, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ads94 View Post
Malloy slowed the rate of growth of non-discretionary spending. Under Rell/Rowland it was near 5%, under Malloy it was 2%, which is keeping on pace with inflation. The reason why spending went up so much is because of the state retirement plans. You can't cut those.

You can cut the other stuff, in absolute $-not just rate of growth.

Plus you can renegotiate state contracts aggressively including headcount in the future.

To say slowing growth rates is cutting is the mindset that produced our fiscal disaster.

Old 11-09-2018, 03:58 AM

24,510 posts, read 17,988,287 times
Quote:

Plus you can renegotiate state contracts aggressively including headcount in the future.

To say slowing growth rates is cutting is the mindset that produced our fiscal disaster.
You can’t set the flux capacitor to 1982, get the DeLorean up to 88 mph, and negotiate a union contract with defined contribution instead of defined benefit pension. The Connecticut problem is huge debt, huge unfunded pension liability, Medicaid, and subsidizing K-12 in the failed cities. Unless you adopt red state social services and stop spending the huge pile of money on the bottom 20% of the population, you can’t fix the problem without raising taxes.

I find it hard to believe that a Republican governor would stop state funding of K-12 in the poor school districts. I find it hard to believe a Republican governor would adopt Alabama Medicaid rules. A Republican governor can’t just walk away from contractual pension obligations and states can’t declare bankruptcy. This is all empty rhetoric.

Old 11-09-2018, 04:02 AM

Time will tell, GeoffD. As states go bankrupt from a cash flow perspective, the issue of whether they may declare it is a legal issue to come. I suspect SC will eventually hear it. Their ability to do was never formally granted nor denied. Most analysts place CT 3rd in line there due to pensions, with Illinois & NJ ahead of us.

Bring the popcorn. If it hits SC, gonna be entertaining, dramatic to watch hearings.

Old 11-09-2018, 08:55 AM

3,432 posts, read 3,906,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
You can’t set the flux capacitor to 1982, get the DeLorean up to 88 mph, and negotiate a union contract with defined contribution instead of defined benefit pension. The Connecticut problem is huge debt, huge unfunded pension liability, Medicaid, and subsidizing K-12 in the failed cities. Unless you adopt red state social services and stop spending the huge pile of money on the bottom 20% of the population, you can’t fix the problem without raising taxes.

I find it hard to believe that a Republican governor would stop state funding of K-12 in the poor school districts. I find it hard to believe a Republican governor would adopt Alabama Medicaid rules. A Republican governor can’t just walk away from contractual pension obligations and states can’t declare bankruptcy. This is all empty rhetoric.
Its a non starter for sure. But when Hartford spends twice as much per pupil than Bridgeport and gets the same outcome, that's a pretty good indication that additional state funding to poor performing school districts doesn't make much of a difference. And that cutting funding probably wouldn't make much of a difference either. Perhaps put a freeze on education spending for some period of time, but I don't think that would fly either.

I'm no tax expert, but could a case be made to tax pension payouts (even to those retirees living out of state) and funnel the proceeds back into the pension fund? It would use the same logic that people who work in NY pay NY income taxes as the money is earned in that state - the pension benefits were earned in CT and are paid out from CT, therefore can be subject to CT tax. Or am I missing something?

Old 11-09-2018, 08:58 AM

845 posts, read 671,301 times
Quote:

Malloy slashed the state workforce. Current pension plans are fully funded and paid for.

Inflation is about 2% a year. Meaning our spending is has flatlined. Why is no one screaming about Rell and Rowland increasing the cost of government by 3% a year, and everyone moans when Malloy brings it down to inflation levels?

Please point to me where to cut.

Pensions? Current employees fully funded.
Legacy Pensions? Illegal to modify.
Welfare? A whole 2 billion of a 30 billion budget
Education? Get ready for property taxes to sky rocket!
Aid to towns? See above

Here's the budget, I found it so you don't have to search

https://www.ct.gov/opm/cwp/view.asp?...&Q=590068&PM=1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut