Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 08:03 PM

1,697 posts, read 1,129,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I've seen them drinking coffee around town (Glastonbury) but didn't even consider it could happen during class.

I didn't know anyone my age who drank coffee until college, and even that was rare.
Me neither. In my day if you really needed energy for an all nighter, you drank Jolt Cola!

I didn't start drinking coffee until my mid 20's......ironically because I had to get up at about 6:30 for the first time since high school and I was finding myself tired and depressed over this unwelcome return of an early alarm clock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2018, 08:20 PM

6,506 posts, read 4,912,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthegoldengod View Post
Me neither. In my day if you really needed energy for an all nighter, you drank Jolt Cola!

I didn't start drinking coffee until my mid 20's......ironically because I had to get up at about 6:30 for the first time since high school and I was finding myself tired and depressed over this unwelcome return of an early alarm clock.

haha! I think it was Mountain Dew for us. I never picked up coffee.

In my senior year I had a 5am weekend job but did nights during the week. That was brutal but it paid well, and I got out early on the weekends I am probably lucky my first FT job was retail so 9am, but then I picked up a waitressing shift and had to figure out my sleep again.

Old 11-22-2018, 08:42 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,750,246 times
Quote:
Only in West Hartford could such a first world problem become World War III.
Many school districts across the country have wrestled with this issue, because the fact is that teens are not ready to be at their desks, awake, alert, and ready to learn, at 7:30 AM. Stop with the sniping.

Last edited by JayCT; 11-22-2018 at 09:38 PM.. Reason: Removed personal attack

Old 11-22-2018, 08:47 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,750,246 times
I had to "turn my son on" to caffeinated coffee once he was in high school. The first time he tried it, he came home that day saying, "Mom, I was awake for my first two classes for the first time ever!" And he goes to bed by 9 PM most nights!

Now, he often has a small amount of caffeinated coffee before school. I try not to let him have it on the weekends or during vacation. Unfortunately, he occasionally complains of acid reflux, which can be caused by caffeine, so when he does I make him lay off of it for a few days.

The start time is just too early.

Old 11-22-2018, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Many school districts across the country have wrestled with this issue, because the fact is that teens are not ready to be at their desks, awake, alert, and ready to learn, at 7:30 AM. Stop with the sniping.
Wrestling with the issue, sure. But how many other towns' wrestling results in collusion, Freedom Or Information requests, secret e-mails knocking opponents being re-printed by the Hartford Courant, and the forced resignation of a school board chair?

Last edited by JayCT; 11-22-2018 at 09:40 PM.. Reason: Modified quote

Old 11-22-2018, 09:42 PM

34,808 posts, read 56,697,113 times
Please stop the bickering and remember to be respectful. JayCT, Moderator

Old 11-23-2018, 01:53 PM

11,265 posts, read 18,810,256 times
Greenwich changed the times last year. I am not sure about the other districts.

Teens (including my 17 year old son and 15 year old daughter) nowadays drink coffee like theres no tomorrow. I never heard of this when I was in high school,. Not a fan of it but a lot better than smoking which nowadays is almost unheard of with teens (though recent trends with vaping are troubling).

Old 11-23-2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Greenwich changed the times last year. I am not sure about the other districts.

Teens (including my 17 year old son and 15 year old daughter) nowadays drink coffee like theres no tomorrow. I never heard of this when I was in high school,. Not a fan of it but a lot better than smoking which nowadays is almost unheard of with teens (though recent trends with vaping are troubling).
Out with one stimulant (nicotine) in with another (caffeine).

I'm not necessarily equating tobacco with coffee. Coffee is probably the lesser of two evils but when I was a kid adults tended to steer kids away from it. It was an adult drink. Like alcohol.

I found it surprising a few years ago when I walked around the UConn Storrs campus. There were about 4 coffee shops on campus. When I was there there were zero.

Also interesting (to me at least) is that nicotine and caffeine are almost exactly the same thing in nature. Both are chemicals that plants use to kill insects who get the bright idea of trying to eat them. Part of me wonders if one day they are going to discover that caffeine isn't much better for us than nicotine. But maybe that worry is just the caffeine talking.

Old 11-23-2018, 05:52 PM

9,828 posts, read 7,129,278 times
Quote:
Out with one stimulant (nicotine) in with another (caffeine).

I'm not necessarily equating tobacco with coffee. Coffee is probably the lesser of two evils but when I was a kid adults tended to steer kids away from it. It was an adult drink. Like alcohol.

I found it surprising a few years ago when I walked around the UConn Storrs campus. There were about 4 coffee shops on campus. When I was there there were zero.

Also interesting (to me at least) is that nicotine and caffeine are almost exactly the same thing in nature. Both are chemicals that plants use to kill insects who get the bright idea of trying to eat them. Part of me wonders if one day they are going to discover that caffeine isn't much better for us than nicotine. But maybe that worry is just the caffeine talking.
It might depend on one's background. As the child of a Brazilian mother, we drank coffee in elementary school. Now it was half milk, half coffee but we were drinking it as children.

Old 11-24-2018, 04:47 PM

2,855 posts, read 10,411,964 times
I think it's perfectly reasonable for a teen to have a bedtime, if all homework is completed. My teen is 14 and goes to bed on a school night at 9:30pm every night, and only stays up later if extra time for homework is needed.

My teens day starts by waking at 5:45am and getting home (after sport practice) at 6:45pm. It's a long day. Then homework, showering, dinner and bed.

I have found that waking in the morning is not a problem with this earlier bedtime. I get no pushback because it's normal for our home. I know many other teens who go to bed at midnight or later ...of course they are tired.

I ask you though, if we allow them to form the habit of staying up until midnight every night and then allow them to start school later so they can sleep later aren't we actually not helping them?? I mean most adults I know get up around 5;30-6:30 every morning to get ready and get to work on time. These kids need to prepare to have to wake early tired or not when they join the workforce.

I personally wouldn't care if my local high school changed times or not. I'd be fine with keeping it or changing it. But just wanted to voice my opinion on them being tired in the morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut