Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 06:57 AM

811 posts, read 1,739,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
An expired registration is a $118 infraction and that’s if the cop feels like writing you for it. They very well may not. Worst case, the vehicle can be towed and plates seized, but I doubt any CT cop world do that for a simple unregistered vehicle. Yes, lack of insurance is a much bigger deal and is a misdemeanor summons, not just a ticket. And you can guarantee your car will be towed.
Thing is I'm about to trade it in. It's insured, I would never go without that. But do I risk not registering it and getting caught on the ride to NJ to trade in? Personally I'd rather do the right thing but it just feels like such a money grab from the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2018, 06:58 AM

6,589 posts, read 4,977,963 times
I have a testing station around the corner, so personally I wouldn't worry about it. But you could pay for a tow. Or find a friend with a trailer. I get that it's a pain though.

I wonder if they'd let you get a temp plate? To me that would be more painful than driving around the corner on an expired plate.

Old 12-23-2018, 05:20 PM

1,395 posts, read 1,511,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTbrooktrout View Post
I have a car who's registration has expired. I want to sell it - do I need to renew the registration for this?

Assuming I do...

I logged onto CT DMV website however it says I cannot renew registration because vehicle is not emissions compliant.

I'm confused as how to get the car emissions compliant in order to renew registration. Is it as simple as going to a place and getting an emissions test? However to do so, I would need to drive over with an unregistered vehicle? Or do I go to DMV and will they grant a registration without an emissions test first?

Feels like a chicken and egg situation.

I will certainly call DMV monday but just wondering if anyone has experience with this situation.

Thanks!!
Register the car online in Vermont. Vermont is the go to state for motorcycles and cars for quick and easy registration/titles.

https://dmv.vermont.gov/content/do-i...ehicle-vermont

Old 12-24-2018, 07:50 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,923,584 times
Just get a temporary plate, do what you need to do and then register the vehicle. DMV issues temps all the time.

Old 12-24-2018, 08:01 AM

11,299 posts, read 18,892,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Register the car online in Vermont. Vermont is the go to state for motorcycles and cars for quick and easy registration/titles.

I don't know a lot about this (nor about CT for that matter since I live in NY), but:

1) Don't you have to show some sort of residence in VT to do this (even if it's a friend or relative and the state is none the wiser?)

2) Vermont is a pretty liberal state with a lot of environmental laws. Except for the fact that they are small and mostly rural, so maybe I am wrong, but they might actually have some strict emissions laws.

If you can somehow get it to NJ (why that far? is there something about NJ vs. NY that you couldn't trade it in there with this problem? Does NJ not have emissions laws too?) without trouble that may be the best bet. Though very expensive from your distance, maybe you can tow it there? I had a somewhat similar dilemma last summer, my 16 year old car I bought new finally died (though still driveable for a very short distance) and I bought a car from my mechanic. Without going into details, my best option was a nearby junkyard he knew of that pays more than most for dead cars if you can get it there without them having to come and tow it. It was only two miles, so I drove it very slow and carefully without plates with my mom and her car right in front of me and my wife with her car right behind me. Good luck!

Old 12-25-2018, 04:45 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,381,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post

I agree......no VT address needed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut