Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 06:47 PM

4,453 posts, read 3,346,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
We discuss this annual “report” every year. It is flawed at best. It only includes data from one moving company which hardly reflects moving patterns accurately. Jay

I don't think the link I put up with all the years is flawed. Is it perfect, probably not but so are all the charts and graphs you will see. Let's keep looking at every year and compare it to the birth rate (and thus requirement rates) of the baby boomers. I bet it will take the pattern I have been saying all along. We just need another 10 years to go when the last of the baby boomers like me will be retiring. Instead of just discounting it let's keep looking every year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 06:48 PM

34,037 posts, read 17,056,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
I don't think the link I put up with all the years is flawed. Is it perfect, probably not but so are all the charts and graphs you will see. Let's keep looking at every year and compare it to the birth rate (and thus requirement rates) of the baby boomers. I bet it will take the pattern I have been saying all along. We just need another 10 years to go when the last of the baby boomers like me will be retiring. Instead of just discounting it let's keep looking every year.

Old 01-02-2019, 06:54 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,230,026 times
A report just came out this week. We are the #4 state with the fastest migration OUT/ shrinking population, after Illinois, New York, and New Jersey.

Old 01-02-2019, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
A report just came out this week. We are the #4 state with the fastest migration OUT/ shrinking population, after Illinois, New York, and New Jersey.
It makes perfect sense that a pattern that has been going on for decades (people moving down south in retirement) is at it's peak now that the peak of the baby boomers (like my husband and brother) are in their first retiring years. It is so logical I don't understand how others don't "get it".

My husband is 64 but is waiting for full retirement at 66 to stop working. I have no doubt there are scores of people in CT my husbands age who have retired at 62 and flew the CT coup. My brother who is 63 was going to move at 62 down south decided not to yet because his entire immediate family (including his parents) are still in FFC.

Old 01-02-2019, 07:22 PM

I am going to tell you some of my other observations. COUPLES move down south in retirement. When one spouse dies and there is one left many surviving spouses run out of money. Take a guess what I am observing.

When the surviving spouse runs out of money down south they move back to CT to get the goodies like subsidized housing. Let me tell you that pisses me off to no end. Here is a new law I would like to see in CT. There should be a residency law for a certain amount of years or no goodies to the people who move down south and move back to CT for the handouts.

Old 01-02-2019, 07:23 PM

174 posts, read 194,360 times
We left in 2014 after 35 years... both boomers. There were MANY places nicer than the People's Republic of Long Rivers and no reason whatsoever to stay. (Great pizza was NOT enough incentive to remain.)

Old 01-02-2019, 07:33 PM

34,925 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
The link connects to the United Van Lines annual “report”. Every year we go through this when it comes out. Their data is flawed since it only includes only one moving company’s data. That means it is not comprehensive and is therefore inaccurate.

The pattern you note is not new. It’s been going on for decades. Certainly since the baby boomers parents began retiring 50+ years ago. It is just in the past decade or so that United found they could get some free publicity by publishing a “report”. Jay

Old 01-02-2019, 07:58 PM

21,740 posts, read 28,070,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eolector View Post
We left in 2014 after 35 years... both boomers. There were MANY places nicer than the People's Republic of Long Rivers and no reason whatsoever to stay. (Great pizza was NOT enough incentive to remain.)
And yet some people prefer it to NC (myself included).

Different strokes...

Old 01-02-2019, 08:27 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,230,026 times
Quote:
It makes perfect sense that a pattern that has been going on for decades (people moving down south in retirement) is at it's peak now that the peak of the baby boomers (like my husband and brother) are in their first retiring years. It is so logical I don't understand how others don't "get it".

My husband is 64 but is waiting for full retirement at 66 to stop working. I have no doubt there are scores of people in CT my husbands age who have retired at 62 and flew the CT coup. My brother who is 63 was going to move at 62 down south decided not to yet because his entire immediate family (including his parents) are still in FFC.
I think it’s the high taxes and economy more than climate that’s driving regular people out of our state at an alarming rate this moment
We have a definite 2 more years here to get through and then we are free. Pretty sure we will stick it out beyond that though, as we are both very settled in our careers and have many more working years left in us, and are a little too old at this point to make a cosmic shift in career paths.
That said, if we want to stay somewhat quasi local (ie close enough to remaining family in NYC), it won’t be CT that we choose, but possibly northeast PA which looks pretty attractive for our retirement needs and wants.

Last edited by Lalalally; 01-02-2019 at 08:35 PM..

Old 01-02-2019, 11:27 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,426,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
I think it’s the high taxes and economy more than climate that’s driving regular people out of our state at an alarming rate this moment
We have a definite 2 more years here to get through and then we are free. Pretty sure we will stick it out beyond that though, as we are both very settled in our careers and have many more working years left in us, and are a little too old at this point to make a cosmic shift in career paths.
That said, if we want to stay somewhat quasi local (ie close enough to remaining family in NYC), it won’t be CT that we choose, but possibly northeast PA which looks pretty attractive for our retirement needs and wants.
I retired in Delaware, also a good place for retirement. Penn. is not too bad, though. Good luck, wherever you go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut