Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2020, 10:16 PM

2,358 posts, read 2,181,264 times

Advertisements

Kid,

Seriously spare me the "moderate" line when you are focusing on grassroot but small calls for reallocation of funds away from police into social services or "wokeness" but not showing the same indignation of elected representatives and senators calling to disenfranchise entire populations of voters because they are percived less worthy of the franchise. To remain silent on straight up corruption of the the party leader.

It's not the same. To say it is is literally insane. It really is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2020, 11:21 PM

17,602 posts, read 6,894,659 times
Reading this thread has made me very glad I don't live in CT. You can have it.

Old 12-30-2020, 03:41 AM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
Thank you. I tried to rep you but it wouldn't let me. One can show empathy for people who, for example, are victims of police brutality without making blanket condemnations of them or without saying all cops are bastards (or ACAB, as the hashtag goes). The far-left is bemoaning the fact that Biden won the election, yet it was his refusal to accept the idea of defunding the police that prompted many to vote for him. Had he called for defunding the police, it would have cost him the election of many swing voters and traditionally Republican voters, including those in this state.
Agreed. I’m friends with people in Connecticut who are both left and right - all are completely turned off by the hard left and all have acknowledged this agenda being pushed that’s being throttled by the media and certain prominent figures. Most also feel the same way about the hard right. I know I do. One thing they all have in common is they’re aren’t a fan of Lamont.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
Kid,

Seriously spare me the "moderate" line when you are focusing on grassroot but small calls for reallocation of funds away from police into social services or "wokeness" but not showing the same indignation of elected representatives and senators calling to disenfranchise entire populations of voters because they are percived less worthy of the franchise. To remain silent on straight up corruption of the the party leader.

It's not the same. To say it is is literally insane. It really is.
If anything, your replies are real time confirmation that “wokeness” actually exists. It’s sort of proving my point - lol.

Last edited by kidyankee764; 12-30-2020 at 03:51 AM..

Old 12-30-2020, 06:13 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,943,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Agreed. I’m friends with people in Connecticut who are both left and right - all are completely turned off by the hard left and all have acknowledged this agenda being pushed that’s being throttled by the media and certain prominent figures. Most also feel the same way about the hard right. I know I do. One thing they all have in common is they’re aren’t a fan of Lamont.

If anything, your replies are real time confirmation that “wokeness” actually exists. It’s sort of proving my point - lol.
Bingo. Those who are not targets of the hate and vilification constantly being put out by the "woke" are always quick to claim that it doesn't exist, or isn't a problem. It's not a problem for them, but it is definitely a problem for those of us who are the targets of their continuous hate campaigns.

Old 12-30-2020, 06:16 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,943,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
[/b]
Yikes, that is what I am seeing in many of my more conservative friends. It just hit me how sick that is. Jay
I think that applies to both ends of the political spectrum, once you get extreme enough.

Old 12-30-2020, 06:50 AM

6,873 posts, read 3,726,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Bingo. Those who are not targets of the hate and vilification constantly being put out by the "woke" are always quick to claim that it doesn't exist, or isn't a problem. It's not a problem for them, but it is definitely a problem for those of us who are the targets of their continuous hate campaigns.
Life's rough in Fairfield.
You can't any whiter and straight than me. 100% full on Anglo Saxon hetero. I'm public enemy No. 1. Big target on my back.
I don't see it being a problem in CT though. This is the heralded CT Forum. No one in CT cares, or gets in my face to "get woke". I just don't see it, maybe that's just me, I don't know. No one thumps a bible in my face either. What a State. Love it to death here.

Ever been out west? woke is in your face 24/7. CT is peanuts. Where's the outcry and violent protesting from the latest Hartford incident? has it happened yet?

Old 12-30-2020, 07:14 AM

2,495 posts, read 4,718,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Reading this thread has made me very glad I don't live in CT. You can have it.
Yeah, we're all real jealous that we don't live in the promised land like you do.

Whatever.

Old 12-30-2020, 07:24 AM

11,292 posts, read 18,872,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
I'm an Independent through and through, but I can't stand the woke crowd. They refuse to hear anything from another point of view and expect everyone to be on the same page with them all the time. These are people who see racists in their soup.

Kidyankee sort of beat me to it, but there's just as many like that on the "other side" too. In the case of what I'll call the extreme "anti woke" they see everyone even remotely not like them as being an evil existential threat to society to be suppressed and think almost everything is a false conspiracy theory. Extremes on both sides are the problem.

Old 12-30-2020, 07:27 AM

2,358 posts, read 2,181,264 times
Quote:
There's a difference between a disagreement on policy and that of the very core of our society and the ideal of sovereignty based on the general will of the majority of the governed through elected representation. Only one side is engaging in an argument on the second point, and it's sickening frankly. And in CT the counter-ideal of the national GOP was roundly rejected by huge margins. Even nationally this was a trounce of that particular viewpoint tempered only by a grossly unbalanced electoral system... doesn't seem like a backlash towards "Defund the Police" or "woke culture" moved the needle in any real way.

If anything, most people see through the faux outrage over it. They are sick of yielding political attention on ideas that somehow PC-culture or whatever you call it is actually an issue that takes the air out of the room for bread and butter issues, civil rights issues, and infrastructure. Sorry. It may be an issue... but doesn't get on most people's radar for the most part.

Quote:
Complaining about wokeness is like kvetching about the color of the walls when the kitchen is engulfed in a grease fire. People say mean things on the internet, it sucks I've gotten some pretty specific death threats. That said however y]there was a legitimate challenge to the Republic, our national security, and oh wait our bloody health that is still ongoing. Priorities are important.

I mean the President pardoned several god-to-honest war criminals and I'm supposed to care about "wokeness" for people that don't see that as an issue worth bringing up? That's a pretty hard sell.

Old 12-30-2020, 08:53 AM

1,241 posts, read 901,324 times
You are completely ignoring the congressional elections where the Democrats fared quite poorly compared to what was predicted. There is a great deal of opinion and analysis that this was a rejection of the “wokeness” of the far left. Even moderate Democrat leaders have said it was an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
There's a difference between a disagreement on policy and that of the very core of our society and the ideal of sovereignty based on the general will of the majority of the governed through elected representation. Only one side is engaging in an argument on the second point, and it's sickening frankly. And in CT the counter-ideal of the national GOP was roundly rejected by huge margins. Even nationally this was a trounce of that particular viewpoint tempered only by a grossly unbalanced electoral system... doesn't seem like a backlash towards "Defund the Police" or "woke culture" moved the needle in any real way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut