Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2019, 10:43 AM

33,927 posts, read 16,964,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
That's true, although voter turnout in those areas is usually very low. Don't underestimate the middle class to upper class urban vote.

Malloy won once on the late reporting of Bridgeport. In other words, the poverty stricken, less educated cities is why he won.

https://www.ctpost.com/local/article...ins-797923.php
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2019, 12:09 PM

534 posts, read 328,592 times
Let's see

Lamont 694,510 votes *36% </ HS education = 250023 votes from the least educated
Stefanowski 650,138 votes * 40% </HS education = 260055 cotes from the least educated

Yes inner cities have more people overall with less education. But still, based on the Pew research of the population in Connecticut, it is more likely that if you are apart of the least educated you are more likely to vote republican than democrat. Then looking at the latest election there would be more people voting republican from the least educated group.

Yes there are a lot of uneducated people grouped into cities, but still less than those that go/lean republican when looking at the whole state.

Old 04-01-2019, 03:25 PM

21,602 posts, read 31,123,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchem View Post
Let's see

Lamont 694,510 votes *36% </ HS education = 250023 votes from the least educated
Stefanowski 650,138 votes * 40% </HS education = 260055 cotes from the least educated

Yes inner cities have more people overall with less education. But still, based on the Pew research of the population in Connecticut, it is more likely that if you are apart of the least educated you are more likely to vote republican than democrat. Then looking at the latest election there would be more people voting republican from the least educated group.

Yes there are a lot of uneducated people grouped into cities, but still less than those that go/lean republican when looking at the whole state.
And again, it was acknowledged pages ago that the poor inner city uneducated can be Democratic voters while affluent educated can be Democratic voters at the same time. In other words, just because the “educated” might tend to be Democrats does not negate the fact that the extreme poor and uneducated also tend to be Democrats. I’m really not sure what about this you’re having a difficult time understanding.

Old 04-02-2019, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
And again, it was acknowledged pages ago that the poor inner city uneducated can be Democratic voters while affluent educated can be Democratic voters at the same time. In other words, just because the “educated” might tend to be Democrats does not negate the fact that the extreme poor and uneducated also tend to be Democrats. I’m really not sure what about this you’re having a difficult time understanding.
Ok, so you do recognize that the affluent and educated voters are more likely to be Democratic voters but you still don't seem to grasp that in CT, from the graph I've shown twice now, is that the group of people with a HS diploma or less are more likely to be/lean Republican.

Old 04-02-2019, 06:53 AM

24,545 posts, read 18,167,039 times
Quote:
You guys are missing a word in your description. White poorly educated people tend to vote Republican. Low income brown people and black people tend to vote Dem if they actually show up and vote. Affluent white collar professionals of any race, color, or creed have largely abandoned the Republican Party. That’s not the FOX News demographic.

I’m a Massachusetts Republican which is pretty much extinct nationally other than Bill Weld running as an unelectable fringe candidate in the primary. I don’t pay much attention but I imagine the same is true for Connecticut. The national Republican Party has deserted affluent, educated, white collar professionals. Look at suburban election returns in the northeast. What were Republican strongholds 30 years ago now vote for the Democratic Presidential candidate. My views aren’t represented by either party.

Old 04-02-2019, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Ok, so you do recognize that the affluent and educated voters are more likely to be Democratic voters but you still don't seem to grasp that in CT, from the graph I've shown twice now, is that the group of people with a HS diploma or less are more likely to be/lean Republican.
I think you need to go back and read what I’ve already acknowledged. Your most recent posts are telling me you’re not throughly going through what’s already been said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
You guys are missing a word in your description. White poorly educated people tend to vote Republican. Low income brown people and black people tend to vote Dem if they actually show up and vote. Affluent white collar professionals of any race, color, or creed have largely abandoned the Republican Party. That’s not the FOX News demographic.

I’m a Massachusetts Republican which is pretty much extinct nationally other than Bill Weld running as an unelectable fringe candidate in the primary. I don’t pay much attention but I imagine the same is true for Connecticut. The national Republican Party has deserted affluent, educated, white collar professionals. Look at suburban election returns in the northeast. What were Republican strongholds 30 years ago now vote for the Democratic Presidential candidate. My views aren’t represented by either party.
You are exactly right. For some reason, that poster is having a difficult time acknowledging simple facts and keeps repeating the same thing over and over.

And a side note, I’m also a New England conservative that isn’t a fan of the social right (or looney left). Party loyalty is disturbing at best.

Old 04-02-2019, 07:21 AM

Quote:
I think you need to go back and read what I’ve already acknowledged. Your most recent posts are telling me you’re not throughly going through what’s already been said.
I know what you're trying to say but you're still off. Based on the way CT has voted recently with the Dem/Rep splits very close and looking at education splits on how one leans politically there were more uneducated individuals who would vote republican than uneducated individuals who voted democrat.

Old 04-02-2019, 07:25 AM

Quote:
I know what you're trying to say but you're still off. Based on the way CT has voted recently with the Dem/Rep splits very close and looking at education splits on how one leans politically there were more uneducated individuals who would vote republican than uneducated individuals who voted democrat.
That’s great, and has been acknowledged. But the original point was that the least educated and most impoverished cities in CT overwhelmingly vote Democrat, which is why the statement “Republicans are dumb” is hypocritical.

But what do facts have to do with it?

Old 04-02-2019, 07:44 AM

24,545 posts, read 18,167,039 times
Quote:
And a side note, I’m also a New England conservative that isn’t a fan of the social right (or looney left). Party loyalty is disturbing at best.
I’m a New England fiscal conservative which is very different from a national “conservative”. I want the budget to balance. Deficits in bad economic cycles and small surpluses in good times to dampen the inherent instability of capitalism. We live in a social democracy. I’m fine with a generous safety net as long as it doesn’t perpetuate generational poverty. I’m fine with taxes to fund infrastructure. I like breathable air and clean water. I want value for my tax dollars.

That’s totally different from the national FYIGM politics of the Republican Party where they use lunatic fringe issues to get Fox News viewers to vote against their self interest.

Old 04-02-2019, 07:53 AM

34,853 posts, read 56,775,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I’m a New England fiscal conservative which is very different from a national “conservative”. I want the budget to balance. Deficits in bad economic cycles and small surpluses in good times to dampen the inherent instability of capitalism. We live in a social democracy. I’m fine with a generous safety net as long as it doesn’t perpetuate generational poverty. I’m fine with taxes to fund infrastructure. I like breathable air and clean water. I want value for my tax dollars.

That’s totally different from the national FYIGM politics of the Republican Party where they use lunatic fringe issues to get Fox News viewers to vote against their self interest.
This is exactly how I feel too but like you said, this is very different from the National Republican Party and sadly the current Connecticut Republican Party too. If you look at both Stefanowski and Markley, you see platforms that are more aligned with the National Party than what the party was even 10 years ago. This is why they failed to win even though they had a population that was sick of the Democrats and ready for a change. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut