Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 07:30 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I’m not sure I’d call FL a red state through and through. This past election was so close and FL has gone blue many times. The Miami/Fort Lauderdale metro, which is very liberal, usually carries the state. Now that they’ve given convicted felons back their right to vote, you’ll see FL go blue almost every single election going forward. This will effectively make FL a solid blue state, IMO.
That may be true about the felons being able to vote going forward.

However, my county (Duval) is red. Trump won 48.5% and Clinton won 47.1%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2019, 07:39 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post

Duval county and Jacksonville city are one and the same. Even in red states, cities are bluer than the rest of the state.

But using Clinton is a poor example because A) the solid "red/blue" divide really got going from 2000 on, and B) Clinton being a white southerner got a lot of typical "red" southern voters to switch a la Jimmy Carter in 1976 (and to a lesser extent Lyndon Johnson in 1964). I'd be more curious to know how much of Duval voted for Obama.....

Old 01-13-2019, 07:48 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post

Many counties in FL are red. Heck, some in CT go red. But FL is far from a “red state”.

Old 01-13-2019, 08:15 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Duval county and Jacksonville city are one and the same. Even in red states, cities are bluer than the rest of the state.

But using Clinton is a poor example because A) the solid "red/blue" divide really got going from 2000 on, and B) Clinton being a white southerner got a lot of typical "red" southern voters to switch a la Jimmy Carter in 1976 (and to a lesser extent Lyndon Johnson in 1964). I'd be more curious to know how much of Duval voted for Obama.....
Actually, Jacksonville city is not exactly conforming to the boundaries of Duval County. However, the city occupies 98% of the county. The other 2% of the land area is occupied by four tiny cities and towns, namely Baldwin, Atlantic Beach, Neptune Beach and Jacksonville Beach. In 1968, the county government was consolidated with the city though.

Old 01-14-2019, 03:46 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:

Clinton a southerner? Hillary? I didn’t realize the Mason-Dixon Line ran through Chicago. Wellesley? Yale? New York US Senator? She was only in Arkansas from 1975 to 1993.

Jacksonville is the largest navy base in the southern region. Of course it’s red. The naval air station is 23,000 people and Mayport has 4 cruisers and 5 destroyers.

Old 01-14-2019, 04:03 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Clinton a southerner? Hillary? I didn’t realize the Mason-Dixon Line ran through Chicago. Wellesley? Yale? New York US Senator? She was only in Arkansas from 1975 to 1993.

Jacksonville is the largest navy base in the southern region. Of course it’s red. The naval air station is 23,000 people and Mayport has 4 cruisers and 5 destroyers.

Back in the 90s Bill Clinton was considered a Southerner, at least until after he started his 2nd term....election patters show it.

Old 01-14-2019, 05:12 AM

1,572 posts, read 1,561,204 times
Getting back to Governor Ned Lamont...

A typical kid's token to fun growing up

Lamont's token to fun growing up

Old 01-14-2019, 05:47 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Back in the 90s Bill Clinton was considered a Southerner, at least until after he started his 2nd term....election patters show it.

The (very off-topic) context of this thread was Trump vs Hillary.

Old 01-14-2019, 10:24 AM

4,454 posts, read 3,349,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
The (very off-topic) context of this thread was Trump vs Hillary.

Lol....I started this topic because I am totally disgusted with my drive from Trumbull to Norwalk and then sometimes to Stamford on the Merritt Parkway. It seems the state is making a never ending works project through the no exit zone (44-42) on the Merritt with all the jersey barriers that are up. It's bad enough when cars break down and have accidents WITHOUT the barriers. Now when something happens in the no-exit zone it's beyond a nightmare.

Any other state would have had that work done a long time ago seeing that Fairfield County is the economic engine of the state and a suburb of NYC. It is CRITICAL that traffic flows in a decent manner not only for the sake of FFC residents but for attracting companies to FFC and CT. I think Lamont gets this where Malloy did not. Lamont specifically talked about the traffic in FFC in his speech. I hope he means it.

The areas of traffic and trains are critical from Greenwich/Stamford to New Haven to Hartford. If I were the governor I would make that corridor the best in the northeast. Bridgeport, New Haven and Hartford are crime ridden scandals and critical components of that corridor.* Those cities along that corridor need to be fixed and fast. NEP was right on that account. Why would a young person with a degree want to go live in and start their lives in those cities.

*That's the conservative in me coming out.

Old 01-14-2019, 04:07 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Please return to the topic of the OP which Is Governor Ned Lamont. JayCT, Moderator
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut