Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2019, 12:21 PM

4 posts, read 1,800 times

Advertisements

Hi there. My family is considering moving to the NYC area so I can work in Englewood Cliffs. We are looking for a great public school district and a nice community. My question is can I commute from New Canaan to Englewood? All the maps suggest its about an hour commute. Does anyone have experience with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2019, 12:43 PM

21,770 posts, read 28,108,607 times
That would be terrible. I'd recommend sticking to NJ, or Orange County NY. Traffic isn't horrible the whole way, but consider you'd have to go north to avoid GWB traffic, and it's a 50 mile commute each way.

For a more accurate idea of a commute, on Google Maps you can set a time and get an estimate based on historical traffic data. It looks like between 50 and 80 minutes every day on average. On a day with bad weather, holidays, summer Fridays, it could easily exceed 90 minutes.

Old 03-19-2019, 04:02 PM

34,948 posts, read 56,980,181 times
I am not sure why you wouldn’t want to live in Bergen County. There are many towns there with excellent schools. You could post over on the New Jersey forum for suggestions but Alpine is an excellent town right near Englewood Cliffs. Jay

Old 03-19-2019, 05:17 PM

21,630 posts, read 31,226,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I am not sure why you wouldn’t want to live in Bergen County. There are many towns there with excellent schools. You could post over on the New Jersey forum for suggestions but Alpine is an excellent town right near Englewood Cliffs. Jay
Agreed. Englewood, Tenafly and Alpine are all great towns. They are similar in price to New Canaan, a short drive to work, and near immediate access to NYC for pleasure. You’re also an easy ride to a major airport (EWR) for travel purposes whereas from New Canaan, you’ll be traveling up to an hour + to NYC airports.

Old 03-19-2019, 06:44 PM

1,930 posts, read 2,041,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Agreed. It makes so much more sense to be in NJ. I wouldn't even bother looking in NY.

Old 03-19-2019, 08:52 PM

166 posts, read 175,938 times
Yes, it's doable, but you're looking at about a 75 minute commute each way. I would recommend looking in Westchester or over in Bergen. Fairfield is just too far.

Old 03-20-2019, 04:04 PM

4,460 posts, read 3,354,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike fecke View Post
Yes, it's doable, but you're looking at about a 75 minute commute each way.
It's a 75 minute commute if the Stars and the Moon is aligned in your favor. On any given day it's a crap shoot and will probably take much longer in the rush hour. During the rush hour you can be caught in bad traffic between New Canaan and Stamford for 20+ minutes on any given day on the Merritt Parkway/I-95 and those towns border on another.

Look in NJ or Weschester close to the Tappan Zee Bridge.

This is to my fellow posters. Isn't Mount Pleasant a nice town with good schools?
The OP would be higher up in Westchester so he should not hit a lot of traffic going to the Tappan Zee bridge. It is 6:00 pm in the worst of the rush hour and Google Maps says it is 39 minutes from Englewood NJ to Mount Pleasant....not bad.

Old 03-21-2019, 04:19 AM

11,305 posts, read 18,899,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
It's a 75 minute commute if the Stars and the Moon is aligned in your favor. On any given day it's a crap shoot and will probably take much longer in the rush hour. During the rush hour you can be caught in bad traffic between New Canaan and Stamford for 20+ minutes on any given day on the Merritt Parkway/I-95 and those towns border on another.

Look in NJ or Weschester close to the Tappan Zee Bridge.

This is to my fellow posters. Isn't Mount Pleasant a nice town with good schools?
The OP would be higher up in Westchester so he should not hit a lot of traffic going to the Tappan Zee bridge. It is 6:00 pm in the worst of the rush hour and Google Maps says it is 39 minutes from Englewood NJ to Mount Pleasant....not bad.

Mount Pleasant is actually a "township" with separate villages/hamlets: Valhalla, Hawthorne, Thornwood and Pleasantville. No one around there actually calls it Mt. Pleasant. Either way, to me it is still far for him because of dealing with a tollbridge (though he is kind of "reverse commuting" the Tappan Zee. There are lots of equally good places in NJ itself to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
View detailed profiles of: