Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 10:50 AM

21,529 posts, read 30,936,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madamj View Post
Thank you for all of the replies!! We would prefer
an area with closely accessible amenities but not necessarily walkable.
However, I think our #1 priority after schools and housing cost is
quality of people, now that I’m
Thinking about it, in terms of finding a friendly and accepting area with
Some level of socioeconomic diversity. Would also prefer a more liberal town vs
Very conservative (have heard that some of the mentioned communities
Such as Monroe tend to lean conservative).
If you want economic diversity, I’d remove Oxford, Monroe, Trumbull and Orange from the list. They are all upper middle class to affluent communities. Milford really has the the most economic diversity from poverty to wealthy, with a large portion being solid working class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2019, 12:36 PM

570 posts, read 470,680 times
Fairfield is funny. If you live in Greenfield hills, Beach or University area then there seems to be more wealth, house uniformity, social pressure. I live in North Stratfield near Lake and there is little uniformity in housing which creates less comparison and therefore less expectation as opposed to rows of manicured, 1920s colonials in some Fairfield neighborhoods. My neighbor worked in garbage sanitation so no airs at all. Most of my neighbors are pretty average income and many blue collar. Homes are somewhat affordable because older and smaller. Lots of nice homes but many ugly old small ranches that are being knocked down or repaired. We are same situation with single income and two kids. We like it up here. Try areas around North Stratfield school for less snooty vibe.

Last edited by CT_Yank; 01-15-2019 at 12:46 PM..

Old 01-15-2019, 12:42 PM

1,924 posts, read 2,017,442 times
Quote:
Thank you for all of the replies!! We would prefer
an area with closely accessible amenities but not necessarily walkable.
However, I think our #1 priority after schools and housing cost is
quality of people, now that I’m
Thinking about it, in terms of finding a friendly and accepting area with
Some level of socioeconomic diversity. Would also prefer a more liberal town vs
Very conservative (have heard that some of the mentioned communities
Such as Monroe tend to lean conservative).
Then I think Milford makes the most sense. You would have to go further north otherwise - Oxford and most other towns south of 84 and west of "the valley" are prettty uniformly UMC.

Old 01-15-2019, 12:56 PM

31 posts, read 21,384 times
CT_Yank, thank you for replying! We live in the stratfield area but still feel out of place! Maybe I am just overly sensitive or reading classism into benign situations. Fairfield is an ideal town in most ways for a family so we definitely are hesitant to leave!

Old 01-15-2019, 01:03 PM

Thanks for all replies! I am reconsidering Milford as it seems to be a front runner here. Had originally
been scared away by schools there but on second look it seems that there’s a quality divide there in the elementaries and middles depending on zip code so could be doable.

Last edited by Madamj; 01-15-2019 at 01:14 PM..

Old 01-15-2019, 01:17 PM

21,529 posts, read 30,936,665 times
Quote:
Thanks for all replies! I am reconsidering Milford as it seems to be a front runner here. Had originally
been scared away by schools there but on second look it seems that there’s a quality divide there in the elementaries and middles depending on zip code so could be doable.
The schools in Milford don’t perform as well as Amity and Trumbull on paper but they are solid. If you did research and we’re fine with Stratford schools, you’ll be pleased with Milford.

Old 01-15-2019, 02:25 PM

362 posts, read 772,221 times
Here is a helpful map of how CT towns voted in the 2016 presidential election; of course this is just one snapshot based on who voted that day, every town has pockets of conservative and pockets of liberal.

https://www.nytimes.com/elections/20...ts/connecticut

Old 01-15-2019, 02:50 PM

I am not happy with Stratford schools really—I would say Stratford is last on our list

Old 01-15-2019, 02:54 PM

Thank you for the map! That is helpful

Old 01-15-2019, 02:57 PM

1,295 posts, read 2,601,440 times
If you want "excellent" schools at a reasonable price, I would recommend Orange. You can be pretty close to all that Milford has to offer, but with a top tier school district (Amity, Regional School District #5). Milford schools are not bad (in fact, I don't know much about them), but the Amity district (Orange+Woodbridge+Bethany) has been highly regarded for many years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut