Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2019, 05:41 PM

570 posts, read 477,326 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My neighbor backed into my car causing 3k damage. It is 10 years old and I moved to liability only insurance in Nov. He was at fault and his insurance is paying repairs. They are also paying for interim car rental but girl at Enterprise said since I had liability only that CT law requires that his car insurance pays collision coverage for rental. My neighbors insurance has refused. She says they would need waiver from state to not pay. What is truth? I have car in my possession and don't want it if I am on hook for any damage. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2019, 05:47 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,193,827 times
It doesn’t matter what kind of insurance you have - if your neighbor backed into your car, they’re at fault and whether or not they go through insurance, they need to make it right. Have you spoken to your neighbor? What did they say?

I backed into someone’s car five years ago in the parking lot of Modern Pizza. I paid out of pocket because I didn’t want to go through my insurance. Maybe that’s an option.

If nothing else works, file small claims.

Edit to add: I thought you meant they refused to pay for damages. If you only have liability, they have every right to refuse you driving their car unless you buy their collision insurance. I’d call my insurance company and ask how much it would be to add on collision for one month.

Old 01-23-2019, 05:47 PM

464 posts, read 312,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Yank View Post
Hi all,

My neighbor backed into my car causing 3k damage. It is 10 years old and I moved to liability only insurance in Nov. He was at fault and his insurance is paying repairs. They are also paying for interim car rental but girl at Enterprise said since I had liability only that CT law requires that his car insurance pays collision coverage for rental. My neighbors insurance has refused. She says they would need waiver from state to not pay. What is truth? I have car in my possession and don't want it if I an on hook for damage. Thanks
Just pay Enterprises daily insurance out of your own pocket. It’s usually like $24.99 per day. The rental car company probably doesn’t want you to take their car without someone paying for collision coverage, doesn’t matter who though. $3K damage isn’t a lot so I’m guessing your car will be fixed/painted in a few days?

No different than when a person in a city without auto insurance rents a car to leave the city for a trip. You need to pay the collision insurance out of pocket.

Old 01-23-2019, 05:56 PM

570 posts, read 477,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
It doesn’t matter what kind of insurance you have - if your neighbor backed into your car, they’re at fault and whether or not they go through insurance, they need to make it right. Have you spoken to your neighbor? What did they say?

I backed into someone’s car five years ago in the parking lot of Modern Pizza. I paid out of pocket because I didn’t want to go through my insurance. Maybe that’s an option.

If nothing else works, file small claims.
We tried cash but he could not do it. I don't feel I should pay crazy collision cost. It might be 10 days. Not sure at this point. I should have zero costs out of pocket for my inconvenience. Anyone know CT law she was talking about?

Old 01-23-2019, 06:03 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,193,827 times
Quote:
We tried cash but he could not do it. I don't feel I should pay crazy collision cost. It might be 10 days. Not sure at this point. I should have zero costs out of pocket for my inconvenience. Anyone know CT law she was talking about?
I couldn’t tell you about the law, but the rental car has to be insured for collision somehow. Their 25/day is a joke, but it’s something you’ll need regardless of where it comes from. I can’t blame you - you should have zero out of pocket costs.

Maybe since the car is so old, you leave the damage (if minor) and just keep the check from the insurance company.

Other than that, I think calling your insurance company for a quote on one month’s collision isn’t a bad idea.

Old 01-23-2019, 06:36 PM

7,515 posts, read 13,616,097 times
Do you have a credit card that offers insurance coverage for car rentals ?

(Although that may not work if the rental itself is not paid via the card )

Also, read the FAQs here #12 & #5, then contact the State Insurance Consumer Affairs Division

https://www.ct.gov/cid/cwp/view.asp?a=1272&Q=483962
[/SIZE]

Last edited by reed303; 01-23-2019 at 06:46 PM..

Old 01-29-2019, 10:07 AM

110 posts, read 171,914 times
Quote:
What does this mean, "He could not do it"? He must do it. This is his problem and not yours. I agree that you should not be financially inconvenienced in addition to logistical. You would think them being a good neighbor they would figure a way to allow you to get to work.......

Old 01-29-2019, 10:20 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,945,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post

Also, read the FAQs here #12 & #5, then contact the State Insurance Consumer Affairs Division

https://www.ct.gov/cid/cwp/view.asp?a=1272&Q=483962
This.

Old 01-29-2019, 11:08 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,455,319 times
Is the other persons insurance paying for the car direct? If so I wouldn't worry about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut