Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 02:04 AM

24 posts, read 74,153 times

Advertisements

HI
i have not been on the fourms in a long while been getting ready to move back to CT i see you many of you replied to my post thanks so much. ok i grew up in waterbury i know things have changed i have friends that live in the bucks hill area. i want to ask you what do you think about watertown i see houses for sale there and look pretty reasonable compared to where i live. i live in CRAPPY CA 20 years near monterey ca. and you cant buy a house here in a crappy neighborhood for less $500.000 and for something decent your looking at $800.000 and up. crazy it's like that for about 3/4 of the state also gangs run rampant they are everywhere it sucks. as far as that when i grew up in waterbury it was never like that i mean there were punks around but not 20 guys with guns shooting at each other. and where i live is a middle class area. sorry to bore you with a story if you could please tell me about watertown and what you think about living there i have a wife two kids and my parents. seeing where i live now do you think it would be a big improvment. what do you know about taxes mil rate or anything i would need to be aware of before i would move to watertown. or the area surroundings any help would be appreciated. all the years i have lived here my HEART IS STILL IN CT
take care
vince
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 04:08 AM

893 posts, read 790,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinman View Post
HI
i have not been on the fourms in a long while been getting ready to move back to CT i see you many of you replied to my post thanks so much. ok i grew up in waterbury i know things have changed i have friends that live in the bucks hill area. i want to ask you what do you think about watertown i see houses for sale there and look pretty reasonable compared to where i live. i live in CRAPPY CA 20 years near monterey ca. and you cant buy a house here in a crappy neighborhood for less $500.000 and for something decent your looking at $800.000 and up. crazy it's like that for about 3/4 of the state also gangs run rampant they are everywhere it sucks. as far as that when i grew up in waterbury it was never like that i mean there were punks around but not 20 guys with guns shooting at each other. and where i live is a middle class area. sorry to bore you with a story if you could please tell me about watertown and what you think about living there i have a wife two kids and my parents. seeing where i live now do you think it would be a big improvment. what do you know about taxes mil rate or anything i would need to be aware of before i would move to watertown. or the area surroundings any help would be appreciated. all the years i have lived here my HEART IS STILL IN CT
take care
vince
Watertown is quite pleasant and right around the corner from where I live. I think that it would be a great place to live and yes there are a lot of neighborhoods going up in your price range.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:57 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,017,296 times
Watertown is a solid working class area to middle class area. If considering western CT close to Waterbury, also consider Thomaston, Plymouth, Wolcott, Woodbury, Middlebury, Prospect & Naugatuck. All nice middle class to upper middle class towns. Housing in even the most expensive of these towns will be half of what California is or less.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:13 AM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Sytrekker and Cruikshl are correct about Watertown and the suggestions Skytrekker made are good. If schools are of concern you can look into the schools systems in each town with the link below. Good luck and hopefully, welcome back to Connecticut. Jay

Strategic School Profiles by District

Strategic School Profiles by School

Old 04-10-2008, 02:05 PM

722 posts, read 1,981,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
Watertown is a solid working class area to middle class area. If considering western CT close to Waterbury, also consider Thomaston, Plymouth, Wolcott, Woodbury, Middlebury, Prospect & Naugatuck. All nice middle class to upper middle class towns. Housing in even the most expensive of these towns will be half of what California is or less.
Vinman,

I recently graduated from high school and I'm in college now. I lived in Waterbury all my life. I've been around the country and no matter what everyone tells me I'm moving back once I graduate, too. So no matter what you read up here, I think it would be a great idea to move back into the City. Its not as bad as people think, besides ifyou consider moving to Naugatuck, Plymouth, or Thomaston (as skytrekker considered) you might as well just move back to Buck's Hill. That's where I grew up, too. Right now, they're building 3 new subdivisions; one behind Wilby, and 2 on Boyden St.

There's also neighborhoods like Robinwood, Town Plot, East Mountain, Bunker Hill, and Kingsbury (Columbia Blvd). I'm positive that there are even more nice neighborhoods in the East End and on the West Side but I'm not familiar with them.

I hope I gave you something to think about.

Old 04-12-2008, 01:55 PM

24 posts, read 74,153 times
Unhappy Please Read Thank You With All My Heart To My People In Ct

HI ALL
I REALLY WANT TO THANK ALL WHO REPLYED with all my heart for the info on WATERTOWN. and please keep all the info coming. i cant wait to leave crappy CA been here way to long been though so much crap you would not believe. the way of life here is way different people here are lost on another planet nothing like where we are from i'll tell ya. and if anyone moves to ca thinking it's a good place to live come find out for yourself boy will you be suprised. i've lived and traveled this whole state and it's all the same rude people,expensive, violent, and lots of phony people, and the weather sucks to. well what do i know im just a sicilian italian kid from waterbury but i'll say one thing at least i was raised with respect, love, kindness, and caring heart, and to care and help people. a that's something i've never ever seen out here. THANKS TO SKYTREKKER,JAYCT,CRUIKSHI, AND BRASSCITYBLUENWHITE for the kind posts. Cant wait to come home CANT STAND being SAD.

TAKE CARE
VINMAN

Old 12-26-2017, 02:03 PM

1 posts, read 947 times
I am also thinking about moving back to Waterbury. I currently live in Florida. I left CT when I was 18, I'm 43 now and have a family. My heart still beats for Waterbury. I had a great childhood growing up there and would like my kids to live in New England. I have recently found some informative and great news about Waterbury on YouTube, especially what the mayor has done and bringing manufacturing back into the city. He has also started to rebuild the city and improve housing.

Old 12-26-2017, 02:29 PM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times
Think Waterbury is a great city with great potential. I still hold hope the City will make a turn and have a revitalization. Only issue I can say is if buying property in Waterbury over $100K is tough because your paying high mill rate. If you purchase a $150 to $200 K house your around $10K or over in taxes. Then add in car tax and increase insurance rates it has a great effect on real estate growth. Do hope Waterbury can improve the propery tax situation.

Old 12-27-2017, 11:49 AM

37 posts, read 29,570 times
Though Waterbury has been having its issues w/ gun violence this year, I can only assume you're not interested in the areas where gun violence is prevalent. This includes a lot of the 06710 and a good portion of the 06704 zip code (excluding Bucks Hill). Also, the Brooklyn section located in 06708 is know for its violent crime as well. The south end has some okay parts but a lot of the area is privy to crime just not as much violent.

If i were looking to return to Waterbury the top 5 sections I would look into (in order) are mostly in the 06708 zip code.
1) Post University/ Country Club area (though you're looking at the highest property taxes)
2) Bunker Hill heading toward Watertown (not the Oakville Ave side but that's a personal preferance)
3) West Side Hill (once you reach Rowland Park all the way toward the Middlebury line)
4) East Mountain (only one not the 06708 zip code)
5) Town Plot (west of Highland Ave once you reach kennedy High School, avoid near Bradley Gardens apt complex)

Each of these sections of Waterbury are filled w/ working class and/or retired people & the riff-raff is limited. The blight is practically nonexistent.

..Having said that, Watertown is a fine town. Lower-ish taxes, things to do, places to eat but the schools are more so-so but not to say they're bad at all. Just so-so.

Old 12-27-2017, 12:46 PM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times
Odd question about Watertown does it have city water? With low tax towns most of them in CT seem to have well water. However, higher tax towns like Naugatuck have city water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut