Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 10:39 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times

Advertisements

Well, it's winter and it'd be nice to wander around or just lounge in a greenhouse when the sun is out. What are some of the nicest publicly accessible greenhouse in CT? I imagine there has to be some interesting botanical gardens, parks with conservatories or historic estates that are publicly accessible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2019, 11:01 PM

58 posts, read 50,504 times
There is a small one in Beardsley Park zoo. NYC Botanical Garden in the Bronx is not that far if you drive in off peak. That place is incredible.

Old 02-10-2019, 08:12 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Elizabeth Park in Hartford has greenhouses but I am not sure what it has this time of the year. Jay

Homepage - Elizabeth Park

Old 02-11-2019, 07:36 AM

2,495 posts, read 4,718,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Elizabeth Park in Hartford has greenhouses but I am not sure what it has this time of the year. Jay

Homepage - Elizabeth Park
Best time to view what's inside those is between April thru September. The park itself is beautiful year round, but with regards to the greenhouses, that's the best time to go, IMO.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:30 AM

24,555 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Not CT but the Lyman Plant House at Smith College in Northampton MA is very nice. It's more "wander around" than "lounge". On weekends, there's parking in a nearby faculty lot. Midweek with the college in session, it's a challenge.

Old 02-11-2019, 10:21 AM

21,721 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Edgarton Park in New Haven

Old 02-16-2019, 09:44 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,425,139 times
I was about to post that. Not sure where the poster is (In the Heights), since a part of New Haven is known as the heights. Edgarton Park has a tropical greenhouse and an arid zone greenhouse, a fish pond and caged birds in one of the greenhouses. The park itself is nice to walk in, if weather is feasible. Not far away is greenhouse in Pardee Rose Garden, in East Rock Park. Edgarton Park greenhouses were my winter escape place when I lived in Ct.

Old 02-17-2019, 12:01 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
To think that I used to live eleven minutes from the greenhouses at Smith College. And their art museum too. There's nothing in CT. I've bought a mini green house on Amazon and that's what I'm using to get me through the CT winter.

In MA we also had the Hadley Garden Center to traipse through and gaze at live plants, some in bloom. Here, the most I can find is Lowe's--and that's only during the growing season. Do we even have garden centers in CT or are we supposed to go to Lowe's and Home Depot for gardening? (Well, if you're rich you can go to White Flower Farm, but that's in summer too.)

I will try Elizabeth Park when the roses are in bloom as I remember it as being very nice. And the sunken garden at the Hillstead Museum in Farmington too. But are there no greenhouses to stroll around in during the winter? NYC is not really an option unless you live in FF County.

Old 02-17-2019, 06:54 AM

1,929 posts, read 2,037,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
To think that I used to live eleven minutes from the greenhouses at Smith College. And their art museum too. There's nothing in CT. I've bought a mini green house on Amazon and that's what I'm using to get me through the CT winter.

In MA we also had the Hadley Garden Center to traipse through and gaze at live plants, some in bloom. Here, the most I can find is Lowe's--and that's only during the growing season. Do we even have garden centers in CT or are we supposed to go to Lowe's and Home Depot for gardening? (Well, if you're rich you can go to White Flower Farm, but that's in summer too.)

I will try Elizabeth Park when the roses are in bloom as I remember it as being very nice. And the sunken garden at the Hillstead Museum in Farmington too. But are there no greenhouses to stroll around in during the winter? NYC is not really an option unless you live in FF County.
Hmmmmm.... There are many, many independent garden centers in CT. If you’re familiar with White Flower Farm... there are two others near there - Moscarillo’s in Torrington and Litchfield Hills Nursery in Litchfield. Dietrich Gardens is also very popular, they have locations in Woodbury and Cheshire. The Woodbury location has greenhouses.

Lowe’s and HD have never been on my radar for garden supplies for as long as I have lived in this state.

Old 02-18-2019, 01:05 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Edgarton Park in New Haven
I just looked this up--it looks nice! I think I'll give it a visit, thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut