Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 09:46 AM

3,730 posts, read 1,321,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Can you afford a cheap apartment in Westchester?

Hmm, haven't thought of that. Shouldn't be an issue, I'll look into that. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth21 View Post
To clarify, in the 3-day-a-week scenario would you be staying down there the entire time or commuting back and forth three times a week? If it's just one back and forth commute a week you could probably do it for a while. If it's three times a week, hell no. Plus we've gotten lucky this winter without snow. I'm also in IT and used to commute from New Haven to a client right across the street from GTC once or twice a week and even that wore on me after a few years.

2h10 minutes also seems very optimistic, unless you're talking actual time on mass transit and not waiting for trains/subways, getting there a little early to park, etc.
Right now I stay here 4 days a week, since my job pays for the hotel. If they were to continue this deal and convince this company to have me as their in-house IT, I would only go back and forth once a week. The job is a 15 minute walk, from GCT. Sometimes I take a taxi, since my job covers expenses, and the cab ride is usually around $10.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth21 View Post
To clarify, in the 3-day-a-week scenario would you be staying down there the entire time or commuting back and forth three times a week? If it's just one back and forth commute a week you could probably do it for a while. If it's three times a week, hell no. Plus we've gotten lucky this winter without snow. I'm also in IT and used to commute from New Haven to a client right across the street from GTC once or twice a week and even that wore on me after a few years.

2h10 minutes also seems very optimistic, unless you're talking actual time on mass transit and not waiting for trains/subways, getting there a little early to park, etc.

The day I leave for NYC, i wake up around 4:30, and am out the door by 5. It takes me 35 minutes to get to West Haven, since there is barely any traffic on the highway. I usually catch the 5:49 train, 6:05 at the latest. Train ride is usually 1hr 45m, and I sleep the whole way. The days I come back, I take the 6:07 train and get to West Haven by 7:50 PM. I can get back to Wethersfield by 8:35. I have never gotten home past 9.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:04 AM

34,935 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy1988 View Post
Hmm, haven't thought of that. Shouldn't be an issue, I'll look into that. Thank you!
I am not sure there are apartments in Westchester that are considered cheap. At least not ones that are in safe commutable areas. Jay

Old 02-12-2019, 11:04 AM

4,454 posts, read 3,349,947 times
That's a long haul. You must really like/love your girlfriend.

I have an idea for you. Trumbull let's homeowners have accessory apartments. I see them for anywhere between $900 to $1300 a month. You would need to keep looking because they get snapped up fast. You can get to the Bridgeport train station in the morning in about 15 minutes. Google maps says Trumbull is an hour drive from Wethersfield. From the Bridgeport Station I see a train that is from 6:54 to GC at 8:14.

Here is a really nice one that is near me right on Main Street not far from the route 8/25 connector that gets you down to the train station in Bridgeport. I have been in this little apartment once and it is really cute. This would be ideal.
https://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/a...805581560.html

Or maybe something in Black Rock Bridgeport. Here is an apartment near the Metro station in Fairfield. It is on Canfield Ave. and is a street right near the border of Fairfield which is a nice little safe urban like area. You can walk to the train station from this apartment. My sister-in-law had a little house in this area on the Fairfield side. My brother and my sister-in-law lived there when they first got married. This would be a good area for you too. If you look on Zillow there are many apartments in this area from small one bedrooms ($850) and up.
https://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/a...810780227.html

Here is one that s really close to the Metro station in Fairfield in the same "Black Rock" area. In Fairfield I think it is technically called the Ash Creek or Grasmere area.

Here is the train schedule.
http://web.mta.info/mnr/html/plannin...ED_EDITION.pdf

Last edited by Yac; 11-23-2020 at 05:55 AM..

Old 02-12-2019, 12:19 PM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy1988 View Post
Right now I stay here 4 days a week, since my job pays for the hotel. If they were to continue this deal and convince this company to have me as their in-house IT, I would only go back and forth once a week. The job is a 15 minute walk, from GCT. Sometimes I take a taxi, since my job covers expenses, and the cab ride is usually around $10.
One round trip once a week isn’t that big of a deal. Some people fly once a week or more, which is much worse IMO.

Old 02-12-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
That's a long haul. You must really like/love your girlfriend.

I have an idea for you. Trumbull let's homeowners have accessory apartments. I see them for anywhere between $900 to $1300 a month. You would need to keep looking because they get snapped up fast. You can get to the Bridgeport train station in the morning in about 15 minutes. Google maps says Trumbull is an hour drive from Wethersfield. From the Bridgeport Station I see a train that is from 6:54 to GC at 8:14.

Here is a really nice one that is near me right on Main Street not far from the route 8/25 connector that gets you down to the train station in Bridgeport. I have been in this little apartment once and it is really cute. This would be ideal.
https://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/a...805581560.html

Or maybe something in Black Rock Bridgeport. Here is an apartment near the Metro station in Fairfield. It is on Canfield Ave. and is a street right near the border of Fairfield which is a nice little safe urban like area. You can walk to the train station from this apartment. My sister-in-law had a little house in this area on the Fairfield side. My brother and my sister-in-law lived there when they first got married. This would be a good area for you too. If you look on Zillow there are many apartments in this area from small one bedrooms ($850) and up.
https://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/a...810780227.html

Here is one that s really close to the Metro station in Fairfield in the same "Black Rock" area. In Fairfield I think it is technically called the Ash Creek or Grasmere area.

Here is the train schedule.
http://web.mta.info/mnr/html/plannin...ED_EDITION.pdf
CTArtist thank you, I'm really diggin' the Fairfield one! The accessory one in Trumbull is pretty cool too! I love my girlfriend a lot and I don't want to leave her. We both live in Wethersfield and live a few minutes apart from each other. We have been talking about having me move in soon. My actual job is also in Wethersfield. My job really values this client in NYC and doesn't want to lose them; they bought out our original client based in Greenwich. The company loves having me here as a desktop technician, and wants to keep me as long as possible. There have also been talks about making me their new in-house IT, but nothing has been set in stone.

Last edited by Yac; 11-23-2020 at 05:55 AM..

Old 02-12-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
One round trip once a week isn’t that big of a deal. Some people fly once a week or more, which is much worse IMO.
Yeah, definitely a lot worse/more draining. My girlfriend also feels more at ease if they drop me down to 3 days a week, because I'll only need to stay in the city Monday and Tuesday night, and I'll be back home Wednesday.

Old 02-12-2019, 12:44 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,231,092 times
Wethersfield to GCT is beyond the usual sucky commute. In fact it’s an absolute Insane one...

Your GF is right.

Sorry.

Old 02-12-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
Wethersfield to GCT is beyond the usual sucky commute. In fact it’s an absolute Insane one...

Your GF is right.

Sorry.

I don't commute there daily. Once to get out there and then my job puts up in a hotel, and then once again to return home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut