Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 03:27 PM

5 posts, read 12,855 times

Advertisements

Newbie here, but been lurking around for a while. I got some questions about living in CT.

So this is my story. My fiance got into Yale graduate program, and I got into NYU graduate program. So we need to find an apartment somewhere between New Haven and NYC that is close to a train station. What I have gathered from reading informative posts here, in or around Stamford and South Norwalk fits our bill.

Anyone know a good source, website, and/or broker to find a reasonable 1 bedroom (±$1000) apartment? We will be starving students for at least 2 years. Can I even find a place with $1000 range in those cities?

Would you recommend any other towns near train stations that's reasonable for both of us? We would like to keep our commute time < 1 hour.

We are in mid-late 20's, and coming from Boston.

Thanks in advance for any information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 03:33 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
I'm not sure whoever is going to NYU will have an easy commute...because once you get off the train you'll need to get onto the subway and down to NYU.

Old 04-09-2008, 03:46 PM

Agreed. I can't do much about taking subway or bus or walk about 30 blocks down to NYU.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:38 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
I would suggest checking craigslist.com for rentals. You might also check into Bridgeport. It is not as close to New York but it is more affordable than South Norwalk or Stamford. Good luck, Jay

Old 04-09-2008, 11:38 PM

246 posts, read 872,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow2black View Post
Newbie here, but been lurking around for a while. I got some questions about living in CT.

So this is my story. My fiance got into Yale graduate program, and I got into NYU graduate program. So we need to find an apartment somewhere between New Haven and NYC that is close to a train station. What I have gathered from reading informative posts here, in or around Stamford and South Norwalk fits our bill.

Anyone know a good source, website, and/or broker to find a reasonable 1 bedroom (±$1000) apartment? We will be starving students for at least 2 years. Can I even find a place with $1000 range in those cities?

Would you recommend any other towns near train stations that's reasonable for both of us? We would like to keep our commute time < 1 hour.

We are in mid-late 20's, and coming from Boston.

Thanks in advance for any information.
It's gonna be pretty hard to find a 1br in Stamford or even Norwalk for 1k. There are exceptions and I second the suggestion to look on craigslist.org. Stamford is a great city for people in their 20's.

Since rents across lower Fairfield County are outrageous, Jay had a good idea to look in Bridgeport. It is a city with major urban issues, but there are still very nice sections (Black Rock to name one). The commute to NYC is about an hour but you would have to jump on the subway to NYU which adds to the commute by about 30 mins.

Ideally Norwalk or Stamford would be your best bet but if you can't afford it, you may have to stretch your NYC commute time by 30-45 minutes.

Old 04-10-2008, 05:47 PM

129 posts, read 412,972 times
Commuting from Bridge port to NYU is not possible. You need to be in Stamford or Norwalk. You can get a rental for as little as $1200 but not much less. If u need help let me know. I helped my daugter find a cute place in east norwalk and al ot of the cheaper places fly under the radar. I do recommend Criags List.

Last edited by JayCT; 04-10-2008 at 05:53 PM.. Reason: No advertising

Old 04-10-2008, 05:57 PM

I am not sure why you say you can not commute from Bridgeport to NYU. Trains run regularly from Bridgeport to New York City so you can commute. It may not be an easy commute but it is doable. I agree that finding a rental in Norwalk will be hard in your price range, that is why I recommended Bridgeport. Jay

Old 04-10-2008, 10:02 PM

I've been looking at craigslist as suggested. I could find 1 bedroom apartment around $1200-$1500, but nothing around $1000. As JayCT said, $1000 range was more reasonable in Bridgeport. We have to decide whether $200-$500 save per month is worth more/ less then 30~45 extra min x 2 commute for me.

kmbrewer2~ I will PM you if you don't mind in May when I start the apartment hunting. I gotta find one of those cheaper places under the radar. Thanks.

Should I use broker to find one? Or is it better to do it online via craigslist. I've only driven by CT when I go from Boston to NYC, so I don't exactly know what part of town is better then the others. Any suggestion is apriciated. Thanks.

Old 04-11-2008, 04:50 AM

10,054 posts, read 14,418,692 times
Quote:
I've been looking at craigslist as suggested. I could find 1 bedroom apartment around $1200-$1500, but nothing around $1000. As JayCT said, $1000 range was more reasonable in Bridgeport. We have to decide whether $200-$500 save per month is worth more/ less then 30~45 extra min x 2 commute for me.

kmbrewer2~ I will PM you if you don't mind in May when I start the apartment hunting. I gotta find one of those cheaper places under the radar. Thanks.

Should I use broker to find one? Or is it better to do it online via craigslist. I've only driven by CT when I go from Boston to NYC, so I don't exactly know what part of town is better then the others. Any suggestion is apriciated. Thanks.
For Bridgeport, the Black Rock section, Brooklawn section, and the North End sections are the safest, and best, for Bridgeport itself. Any other areas are much more "rough and sketchy." The South End near Bridgeport University has some cool lofts, but you'll quickly see that the area turns drastically if you cross one street--from "yuppie" to "rough" quickly.
Black Rock is a phenomenal neighborhood. I love that area. I'd live there if picking Bridgeport. It has a quaint seaside vacation getaway feeling--very cool area.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:22 AM

Quote:
We have to decide whether $200-$500 save per month is worth more/ less then 30~45 extra min x 2 commute for me.
Yellow2black - The commute time difference between South Norwalk and Bridgeport would not be 30 to 45 minutes. It would be more like 15 minutes depending on the train you take. There are trains from Bridgeport that will get you into the city in about 75 minutes while from South Norwalk it would be 60 minutes. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut